Fitting a PSU and fan in the Prodigy M

Hey guys, I'm planning on building an mATX PC, and I'm afraid I've run into a small issue. When I originally planned this build, I had plotted out the airflow inside of the case. I was hoping to have the PSU's fan facing the front of the case, pulling in cool air, and export it out the exhaust through the bottom (the PC will be placed above a return air vent, so any hot air will not stay near the computer), as well as a 120mm fan right above the PSU pulling cool air into the case.

To better explain how I wanted this set up, I used the super sophisticated MSPaint to at least give a visual, posted here.

Now, it doesn't seem that I will be able to fit a 120mm fan right above the PSU. Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning on using the Corsair CX430M. If anyone has a PSU to suggest that would fit both, I'm all ears. I don't need more than 450 watts, and I prefer 80 Plus Bronze certification. Thanks!

post-68385-0-73908900-1395945132.png

Might I ask, why are you going mAtx? Unless you are going SLI, which I wouldn't recommend in this case, get the ITX version as it is much better laid out.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Might I ask, why are you going mAtx? Unless you are going SLI, which I wouldn't recommend in this case, get the ITX version as it is much better laid out.

I want to go with mATX because I already have an mATX board, the Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H, and would rather build with it than try to sell it. I also have 4 DIMM's, for a total of 16GB, whereas I'd have to purchase 2 DIMM's for the same amount of memory. Here's what I plan on using, just for reference:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3

Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H

4x4GB Corsair 1600MHz

Zotac GTX 750

CM Hyper 212 Evo

Corsair CX430M

Kingston V300 120GB SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Welcome to the forum @KalebJohns

You wont need that front 120mm fan. there is lots of airflow.

here is my build in this case

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/103744-complete-kraken-prodigy-build-duel-close-loop-cpu-gpu-cooling-4670k-with-corsair-h75-and-r9-290-with-kraken-x40/

From the pictures you will see if you put in a front 120mm fan you psu cables would be in it all the time. its not worth the hassle.

I would advice flipping bottom fans to intake instead of exhausting. For couple reasons. One being that if you have air cooler on CPU, it will benefit from extra cool air. Second is that when you push air under case, it doesn't really have anywhere to go. That will definetly built up dust and eventually make cooling worse.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would advice flipping bottom fans to intake instead of exhausting. For couple reasons. One being that if you have air cooler on CPU, it will benefit from extra cool air. Second is that when you push air under case, it doesn't really have anywhere to go. That will definetly built up dust and eventually make cooling worse.

I don't think you seen a picture of the Prodigy M,  there is over 3cm of clearance between the ground the case base.  there is no issue pushing hot air out the base.  You will get more airflow with pull in the top and push out the bottom.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/prodigy_m.jpg

I don't think you seen a picture of the Prodigy M,  there is over 3cm of clearance between the ground the case base.  there is no issue pushing hot air out the base.  You will get more airflow with pull in the top and push out the bottom.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/prodigy_m.jpg

Actially thats same advice I've given before for that case. Generally pushing hot air down is useless since it raises anyway. So it would be more efficent to use bottom fans to intake and exhaust from back and maybe front too. The intakes on top only really help GPU and if that is really in need for fresh air, CPU cooler won't have so much.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Actially thats same advice I've given before for that case. Generally pushing hot air down is useless since it raises anyway. So it would be more efficent to use bottom fans to intake and exhaust from back and maybe front too. The intakes on top only really help GPU and if that is really in need for fresh air, CPU cooler won't have so much.

fair point about hot air rising, when i put my hand under mine i can feel a good air flow from my 120mm radiator out the base of the case.    As long as you have enough pressure and forced air flow, you will be able to dump a lot of heat out of the case.  I am not a normal case though as i used blue tak to seal up my fans to make sure the air was driven though the radiator and case perforations.

Back to the drawing above

remember you wont be able to put the 120mm base fans in if you want to use more than 2 3.5" hard drives.