GPU fan does not stop, although set to 0%.

krasatoulis

Hey everyone, here is my case:

GPU fan set to 0% from afterburner, Aida64 indicates 0%, but the fan is certainly spinning and aida does show ~600rpm.

Aida64:

image.png.4e9a5dd9f10bb54fc1ee301f6b703916.png

and Afterburner:

image.png.06a503b3af2d80344e1e8d07bbf74d22.png

I should say that i have a gigabyte GTX 1660.

I have removed the original fan and strapped a Corsair QL fan on it

As i did not have the required cable adapter, Y used the y cable that was on the original fan which plugs into the GPU.

Then each of the pins are connected to the fan with separate Dupont cables. (using the female positions of both the y cable adapters as dupont are a little larger)

image.png.b1b3a248d0c7bb71847a2033820e43c9.png

I know its a mess but im waiting for a proper adapter.

The fan does obey to all commands over 600 rpm, so i am certain pwm v+ g and tach are set up correctly.

The only thing that does not work is pwm <600 rpm.

The original fans did come to a full stop when set to 0%

Where do i start troubleshooting?

Hardware or software?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ive made this mistake many times with afterburner so it might be the super easy solution. Have you hit the check mark yet to confirm the changes?

some fans have 0% PMW be the minimum speed they'll still spin at. it may just be as simple as that. (if it's a PWM fan, that is.)

My friend this is not an Issue, the corsair fan you are using is not rated for 0 rpm, and it will go down to 525 rpm +_ 10% so it is exactly functioning as expected. 0 rpm fans can stop completely even if they are seeing some voltage. Your corsair fan is probably seeing the voltage that it needs to run, so it defaults to run at its lowest speed that it was designed to use. 

image.thumb.png.c84d0713c9aa8c29701552f10a91d4df.png

1 hour ago, Hyrogenes said:

Ive made this mistake many times with afterburner so it might be the super easy solution. Have you hit the check mark yet to confirm the changes?

Yeah, mark is checked and AIDA64 confirms it is set at 0% afterall.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

some fans have 0% PMW be the minimum speed they'll still spin at. it may just be as simple as that. (if it's a PWM fan, that is.)

59 minutes ago, Haris Javed said:

My friend this is not an Issue, the corsair fan you are using is not rated for 0 rpm, and it will go down to 525 rpm +_ 10% so it is exactly functioning as expected.

That seems logical but on the other hand, i have 2 QL 140mm fans as intakes on my box.

When my motherboard (Asus z390A) sets them to off they turn completely off.

Could it be that the motherboard pins completely shut off power when set at 0% while the GPU keeps the power on while inly regulating PWM? (Is this making sense?)

Pic of 140mm fan, completely stopped:

image.png.e1d2bf500249462483407f3298431ada.png

Thanks for the input guys

40 minutes ago, krasatoulis said:

Yeah, mark is checked and AIDA64 confirms it is set at 0% afterall.

That seems logical but on the other hand, i have 2 QL 140mm fans as intakes on my box.

When my motherboard (Asus z390A) sets them to off they turn completely off.

Could it be that the motherboard pins completely shut off power when set at 0% while the GPU keeps the power on while inly regulating PWM? (Is this making sense?)

Pic of 140mm fan, completely stopped:

image.png.e1d2bf500249462483407f3298431ada.png

Thanks for the input guys

My guess is that at 0% fan speed your motherboard 4 pin header is not sending enough voltage to start the fan, and this would be true even if you increased your motherboard fan speed to 5% or 10% because the voltage would still be less than the fans starting voltage. On the other hand your video card sends enough voltage to start the fan even though the fan speed is set to 0%. Did your original cooler fan stopped at 0% ? Also “off” is might not be same as 0% fan speed, one can possibly mean no voltage vs not enough voltage to start up a specific fan. 

53 minutes ago, Haris Javed said:

Did your original cooler fan stopped at 0% ? Also “off”

Yup, the default (double) fan did turn all the way off. Perhaps the power wasn't enough for two fans and now with one it stays on?