First-Thing Recommendations?

I just ordered a new pre-built PC (found here) which is mainly a family but I will use it for some light gaming (games like Minecraft, rocket league, possibly rainbow six) and I was wondering is there anything I should do when it arrives? I already bought 16GB of ram since the 8 it will come with isn’t what I wanted.

18 minutes ago, c.zachary said:

I just ordered a new pre-built PC (found here) which is mainly a family but I will use it for some light gaming (games like Minecraft, rocket league, possibly rainbow six) and I was wondering is there anything I should do when it arrives? I already bought 16GB of ram since the 8 it will come with isn’t what I wanted.

Make sure your RAM is running at the speed it's advertised as (3200MHZ) 
If not enable XMP in the bios (If you can)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Check if your hardware actually IS what you bought, enable XMP, tune your fan curves to what you want (noise or performance), check if all the drives are initialized, install latest windows updates and drivers (chipset and GPU).

(Normally all things you SHOULDN'T do because that's the whole point of a pre-built, but recent videos from LTT, GamersNexus, etc. pointed out that they can mess up the most basic things.)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Downkey said:

Make sure your RAM is running at the speed it's advertised as (3200MHZ) 
If not enable XMP in the bios (If you can)

Do I check and change what speed the ram is running in the bios too?

Sorry I misread that as two different things. Thanks for the suggestion

Edited by c.zachary

25 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Check if your hardware actually IS what you bought, enable XMP, tune your fan curves to what you want (noise or performance), check if all the drives are initialized, install latest windows updates and drivers (chipset and GPU).

(Normally all things you SHOULDN'T do because that's the whole point of a pre-built, but recent videos from LTT, GamersNexus, etc. pointed out that they can mess up the most basic things.)

Where would I go to change fan curves and how do I check that my drivers are initialized?

8 hours ago, c.zachary said:

drivers are initialized?

I meant "drives" as in storage drives. If you have an SSD and a HDD for example, check if you see 2 storage drives in windows.

8 hours ago, c.zachary said:

Where would I go to change fan curves

BIOS. Keep pressing "delete" on your keyboard after pressing the power button. Then you will get into your BIOS where you can enable your RAM XMP, change fan curves etc.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

59 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I meant "drives" as in storage drives. If you have an SSD and a HDD for example, check if you see 2 storage drives in windows.

BIOS. Keep pressing "delete" on your keyboard after pressing the power button. Then you will get into your BIOS where you can enable your RAM XMP, change fan curves etc.

Awesome, thanks!