Should I wait for the Haswell refresh?

MexicanAnimal

Title pretty much says it all.

I am in the middle of building a new system, and I already have the RAM, SSD, HDD, and case, a 350D. I haven't bought a GPU, CPU or mobo, I'm waiting for Maxwell for the GPU, but don't know what to do with the CPU/mobo combo. 

Oh, and if I do wait, I'll need an mATX mobo, given the 350D :P

Thanks!

I would wait for the refresh. Especially since they're promising better manufacturing processes and such.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

I would wait for the refresh. Especially since they're promising better manufacturing processes and such.

I'd wait.

And around what time are we expecting them to come out? I don't wanna wait too long :P

And around what time are we expecting them to come out? I don't wanna wait too long :P

Well, rumors say that it should be sometime in April or May. It should definitely be out before Maxwell.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Well, rumors say that it should be sometime in April or May. It should definitely be out before Maxwell.

Did Maxwell get delayed? I read that it was gonna be released Q1 2014?

No one really knows except people under NDA. I'd say around early june.

No, the 750ti is Maxwell

I would expect them sometime in the summer. 

if you are going to buy your system and that is it, no reason to wait on the processor, but if you are going to overclock it, then you absolutely want to wait until the refresh. if they go to fluxless solder or use decent TIM between the Die and IHS, there may still be hope for Overclocking.

I don't have a haswell, only an Ivy, and the IVy is hard enough to get past 4.7ghz on a H100 if you want to stay under 95C at load, and I seem to have gotten lucky in the silicon lottery. I can only imagine Haswell is harder

I would expect them sometime in the summer. 

No one really knows except people under NDA. I'd say around early june.

No, the 750ti is Maxwell

Oh alright, but ok, I'm gonna wait for the refresh, also aren't Z97 chipset boards gonna be compatible with Broadwell?

depends on how desperate you are for a your new PC. If you wait forever think of how much time you will have not been able to enjoy your new computer and have wasted waiting to get 10% performance or something like that.  Also there will always be new stuff just around the corner its just how the system works no one can win. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

If you have the patience then I'd suggest waiting, but only if you wanna do some fairly serious overclocking with it.

Otherwise you'd be fine on a stock Haswell.

My recently bought 4770K doesn't seem to want to go anywhere above 4.4GHz at 1.25V.  Any higher, even with adjusted voltage, will fail to install or load Windows.

Same deal here, just waiting, wishing Intel would hurry up and give us a date cause i'm very keen to upgrade! 
I just know i'll buy a 4770K and then the next day they'll release the new version and i'll heaps pissed. 
This is how tech works, yes, but I'd like to have the newest processor at least for a few months until Broadwell :P 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

As a first time user on this forum, but as someone else has stated "Also there will always be new stuff just around the corner its just how the system works no one can win."  I used to sell PC's back in the late 80's.  Users would always ask me the best way to stay current with PC technology.  My answer was simple, "buy a PC on Monday, sell it on Friday, then buy a new one next Monday..."   Obviously there are many more options today, but I was the same way about audio equipment, and it took me nearly 25 years to finally buy some audio technology I saw in 1987.  Sure I saved a few thousand dollars, but I missed out on much better sound for all those years.