ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION b5 post code error

xdXot1c

no beeps, just shows b5 post code, tried reseating the ram, changing the slot in which the gpu was in, dcleared cmos, idk whats wrong, but i need help. ive spent the last 4 hours trying everything i know, if anyone can make a video showing me, or just tell me what is wrong, that would be appreciated. i just want to use my board. i cannot find anything helpful n the internet at all

there are no video outputs, so do you want me to just see the post code if i remove the gpu

5 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

there are no video outputs, so do you want me to just see the post code if i remove the gpu

yea prob

ok, did that, not is is showing 14 b1 b5 in a sequence

ok, so only one 12v connector is plugged in because my 500w thermaltake psu does not have 2, could that be the problem?

2 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

btw dude you need to @ColeIsDaBest or quote us to see your reply

ohhh ok

What CPU are you using? Also listing the rest of your system specs would be helpful.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

15 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

ok, so only one 12v connector is plugged in because my 500w thermaltake psu does not have 2, could that be the problem?

Yeah You need to quote me in, just saw this now.

What power connector is this? CPU (4pin, maybe 8pin) or GPU (PCIe 6pin or 8pin)

If it does the same thing without the GPU installed at all that means the error is happening prior to ever getting to the GPU.
Can you try again with no memory installed?

I'm trying to determine where in the boot sequence it's failing.

3 minutes ago, ColeIsDaBest said:

Yeah You need to quote me in, just saw this now.

What power connector is this? CPU (4pin, maybe 8pin) or GPU (PCIe 6pin or 8pin)

If it does the same thing without the GPU installed at all that means the error is happening prior to ever getting to the GPU.
Can you try again with no memory installed?

I'm trying to determine where in the boot sequence it's failing.

ok, so there is a 4 pin atx 12v_1  and an 8 pin atx 12v_2, ill try w/o ram

Just now, xdXot1c said:

ok, so there is a 4 pin atx 12v_1  and an 8 pin atx 12v_2, ill try w/o ram

Okay and you plugged in the 8pin CPU cable from your power supply into the 8pin CPU header at the top of the board right?

You likely do not need to use the other 4pin one, that is usually only if you install a really power hungry CPU and do heavy overclocking. I ran one of my machines for years without using the extra 4pin CPU power.

Okay and you plugged in the 8pin CPU cable from your power supply into the 8pin CPU header at the top of the board right?

You likely do not need to use the other 4pin one, that is usually only if you install a really power hungry CPU and do heavy overclocking. I ran one of my machines for years without using the extra 4pin CPU power.

yes, the codes w/o ram are b5 still, disconnected drives, gpu and ram from the board

5 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

yes, the codes w/o ram are b5 still, disconnected drives, gpu and ram from the board

Yikes that's not good. It's happening really early on.

Can you try the BIOS switch thing? Your board comes with two BIOS chips so this may solve it.

Also can you make sure the PCIe lane switch is in the right positions?

image.png.3aa857836f687f027ae73d4547766e0f.png

Yikes that's not good. It's happening really early on.

Can you try the BIOS switch thing? Your board comes with two BIOS chips so this may solve it.

Also can you make sure the PCIe lane switch is in the right positions?

image.png.3aa857836f687f027ae73d4547766e0f.png

still b5 error code, there are lights on the board to show you what bios you are on, and i tried both

Just now, xdXot1c said:

still b5 error code, there are lights on the board to show you what bios you are on, and i tried both

Okay this is a Hail Mary, can you reseat the CPU?

Take off the heatsink and remove the CPU from the socket (Leaving the thermal paste on) then inspect the socket for bent pins and the back of the CPU for burn marks.

If you see no issues then reinstall the CPU carefully and place the cooler back on. If the motherboard is on it's back you don't need to screw in the cooler yet, just place it on top so it's making contact. You don't need to replace the thermal paste for now, we are just trying to see if we can get it to start / give a different post code at all. If it does give a different code it will not be putting out too much heat long enough to be of concern, try to power off the system though and don't let it sit too long.

If this doesn't work try again a second time.

Let me know what happens.

12 minutes ago, ColeIsDaBest said:

Okay this is a Hail Mary, can you reseat the CPU?

Take off the heatsink and remove the CPU from the socket (Leaving the thermal paste on) then inspect the socket for bent pins and the back of the CPU for burn marks.

If you see no issues then reinstall the CPU carefully and place the cooler back on. If the motherboard is on it's back you don't need to screw in the cooler yet, just place it on top so it's making contact. You don't need to replace the thermal paste for now, we are just trying to see if we can get it to start / give a different post code at all. If it does give a different code it will not be putting out too much heat long enough to be of concern, try to power off the system though and don't let it sit too long.

If this doesn't work try again a second time.

Let me know what happens.

ok, now post code is 00, there was a thing in the cpu spot, so i got it out

1 minute ago, xdXot1c said:

"00"?

That code is "Not Used"....

Okay can you install the CPU cooler properly now (No need to replace thermal paste yet, just secure it with the screws) and install the RAM and GPU.

3 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

and now it is bootlooping

2 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

and now it is bootlooping

Okay what do you mean by that, there are several kinds of boot looping.

Does anything come up on the display?

Can you send a video of it?

This is really good progress by the way.

Okay what do you mean by that, there are several kinds of boot looping.

Does anything come up on the display?

Can you send a video of it?

This is really good progress by the way.

dont currently have my phone, but it will flash code 00 a couple times, then turn off and turn back on

Just now, xdXot1c said:

dont currently have my phone, but it will flash code 00 a couple times, then turn off and turn back on

fans will spin, board is getting power, might be the drive, no display output btw

1 minute ago, xdXot1c said:

fans will spin, board is getting power, might be the drive, no display output btw

Ok, is this with the GPU / RAM installed?

Can you plug in a keyboard and tell me if the Numlock LED indicator turns on? Also when the board is booting try pressing the caps lock key and see if the caps lock indicator turns on. These are good indicators of low level functions so I'm curious what happens.

Can you keep a close eye on these LEDs and tell me what they are doing? I'm particularly interested in what the last one to be illuminated is before it restarts.

image.png.59e654cb0e68292c479334547832c456.png

19 minutes ago, ColeIsDaBest said:

Ok, is this with the GPU / RAM installed?

Can you plug in a keyboard and tell me if the Numlock LED indicator turns on? Also when the board is booting try pressing the caps lock key and see if the caps lock indicator turns on. These are good indicators of low level functions so I'm curious what happens.

Can you keep a close eye on these LEDs and tell me what they are doing? I'm particularly interested in what the last one to be illuminated is before it restarts.

image.png.59e654cb0e68292c479334547832c456.png

cpu led is lit up, keyboard wont turn on because my keyboard only turns on right before the windows 10 lockscreen appears

Just now, xdXot1c said:

cpu led is lit up, keyboard wont turn on because my keyboard only turns on right before the windows 10 lockscreen appears

CPU led, interesting. CPU failures are pretty rare but not unheard of.

Has this system worked in the past or are these new components?

I also have an ASUS board, sometimes it reports RAM issues as CPU errors so I would not say it's 100% the CPU yet.

How many ram sticks are you using? I know you said you tried reseating the RAM, but can you try again now that we are getting different codes? I you have multiple sticks can you try using only one in all the slots and then try the other one in all the slots?