Best Linus Build for 3D work?

Budget (including currency):  $900 - $1200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender, Zbrush, 3d work, run most steam games pretty well + occasional AAA

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU Processor

MSI B450-A PRO ATX Motherboard 

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Seagate Ironwolf NAS 3 TB Hard Drive

Sabrent Rocket Pro NVME 512 GB Drives

ASUS Geforce GTX 1650 Videocard

Fractal Design Focus Mid-Tower Case

Corsair CXM 650W ATX Power Supply 

WARNING: I’m not a techie, but I want to start learning 3d modeling and have a functional desktop for light gaming that I won’t have to upgrade for awhile. 

I’m planning on buying a 1080p monitor from Bestbuy and a making a 2nd monitor from my dead laptop.

I’m upgrading from laptop to desktop, and I tried to build a cheap pc to save money. Halfway through realized it might not be the right build for what I need, and that I’d rather spend extra for better overall performance anyway. I saw this build on the recommended build for 3d work and have all the parts in the basket, but I saw a comment saying his $900 Ryzen build would be cheaper and would run better. 

I’d like to follow a build guide from Linus, and would prefer not to stray too far from the recommended parts list if possible. Again, I know nothing of computers and don’t want to spend too much money and time wondering which parts will work together. It would be very helpful to know which build would be the best for 3d work, and if there is a better build guide to follow. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, meowser said:

The build guides wouldn't be useful at this point for specific parts

You mostly want a decent amount of RAM, and a GPU with a decent amount of VRAM. CPU's kind of meh as the GPU will be doing most of the work.

Possibly even just a cheap 4K TV if you don't care about 99% sRGB color accuracy or whatever.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You mostly want a decent amount of RAM, and a GPU with a decent amount of VRAM. CPU's kind of meh as the GPU will be doing most of the work.

Possibly even just a cheap 4K TV if you don't care about 99% sRGB color accuracy or whatever.

Just tell him  what Ram: X Gpu: X Cpu:X Vram:X Etc

2 minutes ago, MoJoMax said:

Just tell him  what Ram: X Gpu: X Cpu:X Vram:X Etc

the parts don't readily exist at the moment, and I don't know if he actually bought anything yet.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the parts don't readily exist at the moment, and I don't know if he actually bought anything yet.

Just say I recommend This Gpu This amount of ram, etc

12 minutes ago, MoJoMax said:

Just say I recommend This Gpu This amount of ram, etc

Literally can't buy it right now

Hardware.png

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I currently have:

-Intel Core i5-3470S 2.90GHZ Quad-Core LGA1155 SR0TA CPU Processor

-Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 

-Radeon HD 7570

I couldn’t find the VRAM for the Radeon, so I’m guessing that’ll need to be upgraded?

2 minutes ago, meowser said:

I currently have:

-Intel Core i5-3470S 2.90GHZ Quad-Core LGA1155 SR0TA CPU Processor

-Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 

-Radeon HD 7570

I couldn’t find the VRAM for the Radeon, so I’m guessing that’ll need to be upgraded?

Buying a gpu now and many other parts is either hard to find or really expensive. Id probably wait for prices to fall if you can.

Probably get a 10400/11400 now, cheaper, has a igpu(id use that for now). 

Also that system you have now should be plenty to start modeling on and learning. Ive run blender on much worse.

Here is a build I made on pcpartpicker if you want to use the new computer now with integrated graphics/your old graphics card

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CNKXt8

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($75.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $656.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 16:38 EDT-0400

Note that I went with a 10400 because b560 boards under 150 are not in stock and the 3600 is no longer $200. You can save around $20 if you only need a 3TB hard drive instead of 4TB, and slim down another $30 by getting a focus g. This combined with a 3060ti (when they are in stock) should be a pretty good system. The 3060ti CUDA cores over the 3060 would usually give it much better value, but the 3060 has more vram which could make it worth it. However, the vram on the 3060 is slower, so maybe it is better to upgrade to a 3060ti, I don’t know, but for now you can just use your old card.

8 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Here is a build I made on pcpartpicker if you want to use the new computer now with integrated graphics/your old graphics card

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CNKXt8

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($75.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $656.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 16:38 EDT-0400

Note that I went with a 10400 because b560 boards under 150 are not in stock and the 3600 is no longer $200. You can save around $20 if you only need a 3TB hard drive instead of 4TB, and slim down another $30 by getting a focus g. This combined with a 3060ti (when they are in stock) should be a pretty good system. The 3060ti CUDA cores over the 3060 would usually give it much better value, but the 3060 has more vram which could make it worth it. However, the vram on the 3060 is slower, so maybe it is better to upgrade to a 3060ti, I don’t know, but for now you can just use your old card.

Thanks for the list! Right now the case + power supply is a Dell Optiplex 7020. Will I be able to move over the parts (cpu, motherboard, ram) I currently have to the new case, or do I have to upgrade those too?

51 minutes ago, meowser said:

Thanks for the list! Right now the case + power supply is a Dell Optiplex 7020. Will I be able to move over the parts (cpu, motherboard, ram) I currently have to the new case, or do I have to upgrade those too?

The Optiplex is too old that nothing would really be useful from it, it’s better off giving it away (even if you take out the graphics card it can use its integrated graphics). The CPU is not powerful enough, and the motherboard its on is proprietary and does not have support for modern cpus or have modern features. The ram is ddr3 and is not compatible with newer motherboards (like the one I listed above). The power supply is likely also proprietary, and even if it wasn’t, it wouldn’t have enough power for the system.