I need help with a Synology DS 220+ Only getting about 2.9MBps upload speed via Drive on 1gb/1gb pipe

So I've noticed a pattern of people having this same issue, but finding info seems to be few and far between, so I figured I would give it a shot.

• 1gb/1gb Fiber
  • Router is a TP-Link r600VPN (v4 (This is important)) which has a WAN <-> LAN throughput of 680/420 (It can actually max out higher than that on the latest firmware, but that is about what you should expect to get out of it
  • Network is wired for 10gb with cat6 (however I can't afford 10gb equipment so it's all 1gb atm)
  • Custom Domain with SSL Cert. All traffic routed through SSL.
  • Internal lan speeds are 1gb as one would expect
  • Mirrored Raid using 2 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB CMR drives (5400rpm)

I'm not sure what the deal is, because the device can obviously serve files at 1gb via lan, both through SMB and via Drive link.

I've found various articles that claim to have solved the issue, but I've never found anything substantive that helped.

• Quick relay is off
  • Ensure direct connection is possible between peers (forward and firewall ports that Drive needs). This has been done.
  • This is not a new install. Everything has been indexed and for the most part the NAS sits idle for 99% of the day. Just when I need to edit a file or something or add a file, etc.
  • Not that it matters, but all the data is backed up weekly to an amazon glacier vault.
  • If I connect to a different machine on the network from the outside world, the transfer speed will hit nearly 400

So one of the big reasons for going my own NAS route was that frankly google has become ever more crap, and I'm tired of so much of my info being tied up in a single service; it's universally stupid. So with that in mind, when I share files with friends that may be 100mb, or 1gb (or more), I expect the NAS to use all available bandwidth.

The current ports that are forwarded are as below. Did I miss something? I was using the table on Synology's site (edit which I can't find now that I haven't looked for it in ages, but I did find this: https://mariushosting.com/what-network-ports-are-used-by-synology-services/ ).

9 Synology WAN1 5000-5001     5000-5001     192.168.0.7    ALL Enabled  

10 SynologyLinkSharing1     WAN1     80     80     192.168.0.7 ALL Enabled  

11    SynologyLinkSharing2 WAN1 443     443     192.168.0.7 ALL Enabled  

12 SynologyDriveClient WAN1 6690     6690     192.168.0.7 ALL    Enabled  

What are the wan speeds the client is using? 

Can you test internet speeds with something like iperf?

This seems like a isp/internet issue.

Well, as I mentioned, literally nothing else on the network is having this issue.

As an example:

DYKEts5.png

Of course speed tests are just that. But if I really have to I can show screenshots or video of me uploading or downloading large files at high speeds. However, it is not an ISP/Router/Switch issue.

OJyJTIH.png

For example, via file explorer. This is a 1.1gb file. Transfer of a 1.1gb file takes roughly 9 seconds, incoming/outgoing.

No offense, but I really don't want to go to the point of setting up docker containers for something that I'm already fairly capable of demonstrating isn't the issue (that said if absolutely necessary, I can).

This is me downloading from Drive via LAN

fe2Hfwe.png

This is reasonably concerning that drive seems to have enough overhead to cause a 54s transfer vs 9s. Is drive doing something funky on the backend? Is SSL causing a massive slowdown perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Scary le Poo said:

This is reasonably concerning that drive seems to have enough overhead to cause a 54s transfer vs 9s. Is drive doing something funky on the backend? Is SSL causing a massive slowdown perhaps?

What cpu usage do you see when running those tests?

Do you get tho slow speeds over wan only? You showed a 20mB over lan, and that seems expected. I have seen isps have much slower speeds for home to home networks, so why I suggested something like iperf.

What cpu usage do you see when running those tests?

Excellent question, lets have some screenies:

This is when downloading via Drive shared link (to a machine on the local network):

7dVGxMC.png

Honestly should I bother checking cpu when transferring via smb? When I checked it it was about the same. Stayed 5% pretty steadily the entire time.

Do you get tho slow speeds over wan only? You showed a 20mB over lan, and that seems expected. I have seen isps have much slower speeds for home to home networks, so why I suggested something like iperf.

But the thing is, if I upload from inside my network, to somewhere outside my network, I don't have this issue with anything other than Synology Drive/NAS.

I have seen isps have much slower speeds for home to home networks, so why I suggested something like iperf.

This sentence is awkwardly written. "Home to Home networks" is pretty ambiguous in this context. Can you explain more?

Update: I found a comment where someone disabled IPv6 on their ds218j and it fixed their issue, so I did the same on mine. The speed of downloads from drive from the outside world is now seeming to top out at 40-50mbps, which is over double of what it was before.

I'd love to know if anyone knows any other config changes on the nas that might help in this way.

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 3:27 AM, Scary le Poo said:

Update: I found a comment where someone disabled IPv6 on their ds218j and it fixed their issue, so I did the same on mine. The speed of downloads from drive from the outside world is now seeming to top out at 40-50mbps, which is over double of what it was before.

I'd love to know if anyone knows any other config changes on the nas that might help in this way.

Did u find a final solution for this? Im having the exact same issues as you describe.. 🥺