Reassembling a processor?

WoopdyWoppin

So, I've never seen this before and i wonder if anyone here has. 

A week ago i bought a CPU/Mobo combo from a friend of mine in FL, got it on thursday and the cpu fell apart. What a think, might have happened is glue or whatever on the cpu was melted over the course of the 2 days it sat in Florida before being shipped out, and it fell apart when it got to me. My question is, can I fix this? I have an i9 on the way so im not freaking out about how to fix it, its a i5 7600k btw, so I'd like to be able to fix it to at least sell it, but im not gonna cry if its broken forever, Figured you guys would be the ones to help, lmk thx

20210403_171345.jpg

So the silver top bit is what's called an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), and the bit on the left is the actual CPU. Its not too hard at all to resemble, just google how to delid a CPU and then follow the steps after they've removed the IHS. 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

So the silver top bit is what's called an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader), and the bit on the left is the actual CPU. Its not too hard at all to resemble, just google how to delid a CPU and then follow the steps after they've removed the IHS. 

I figured it would be something super simple, this is my first time dealing with actual component repair, so I had no idea where to start lol, thanks 🙂 

2 minutes ago, WoopdyWoppin said:

I figured it would be something super simple, this is my first time dealing with actual component repair, so I had no idea where to start lol, thanks 🙂 

It's an odd one I'll give you that, I've never seen an IHS fall off before. If I had to guess I would say your friend already delided it and didn't put any  glue on when he reassembled it.

7 minutes ago, WoopdyWoppin said:

Are you sure your friend didn't delid it? That looks an awful lot like liquid metal on the die.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

Are you sure your friend didn't delid it? That looks an awful lot like liquid metal on the die.

I highly doubt that's something he would even be able to think of doing, He's not exactly a PC guy, He was trying to sell it before he sent it out to me and it was owned by someone else before that so its hard to say when it actually happened. I mean the plastic was still on the mobo cpu mount when i got it so its clear someone didn't know what they were doing, my best guess would be either the original owner tampered with it or the heat just melted the joint eventually, Idk honestly

1 minute ago, WoopdyWoppin said:

I highly doubt that's something he would even be able to think of doing, He's not exactly a PC guy, He was trying to sell it before he sent it out to me and it was owned by someone else before that so its hard to say when it actually happened. I mean the plastic was still on the mobo cpu mount when i got it so its clear someone didn't know what they were doing, my best guess would be either the original owner tampered with it or the heat just melted the joint eventually, Idk honestly

My suspicion is somewhere along the line, something like this happened:

- Person buys CPU with intention to delid+liquid metal it.

- Delidding goes badly, bad thermal contact or something, and person wants to cut their losses.

- Person (sloppily) reassembles CPU and sells it on as "original quality."

- Eventually, reassembling gives out, and IHS falls off again.

In any case, it's at worst a pre-delidded CPU, so you should be able to follow a delidding guide to get it cleaned up + back together so long as they didn't kill anything else while delidding.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

My suspicion is somewhere along the line, something like this happened:

- Person buys CPU with intention to delid+liquid metal it.

- Delidding goes badly, bad thermal contact or something, and person wants to cut their losses.

- Person (sloppily) reassembles CPU and sells it on as "original quality."

- Eventually, reassembling gives out, and IHS falls off again.

In any case, it's at worst a pre-delidded CPU, so you should be able to follow a delidding guide to get it cleaned up + back together so long as they didn't kill anything else while delidding.

Yeah, whatever the case I'll try to get it back together n test it out, worst case is its dead and i cant use it, I still got a Mobo for a good price and am finally doing some upgrades, just gotta trade my firstborn for a gpu now lol

6 minutes ago, WoopdyWoppin said:

To get hot enough to melt the liquid metal... wouldn't that fry the chip lmao? I'm %100 on the original owner tampering with it, unless the chip doesn't work when you repair it.

Just now, Zemeon said:

To get hot enough to melt the liquid metal... wouldn't that fry the chip lmao? I'm %100 on the original owner tampering with it, unless the chip doesn't work when you repair it.

More than likely the original owner tampered with it, since i dont think my buddy messed with it before sending it to me, like i said, I doubt he could think of things like this, he's not one to DIY or tamper with things

4 minutes ago, WoopdyWoppin said:

More than likely the original owner tampered with it, since i dont think my buddy messed with it before sending it to me, like i said, I doubt he could think of things like this, he's not one to DIY or tamper with things

Its not uncommon as I said for people not to glue the IHS back on after deliding and replacing the thermal paste, as the retention clip on the motherboard will hold the IHS on the CPU. But I'd certainly agree with everyone else here, that chip has defiantly been delidded at some point.