Synology ds220+ security software

Hey guys 😄 so, I’m wondering of further utilizing my ds220+‘S download station, and some torrenting. Will installing third party security/antivirus softwares be necessary? Unit hasn’t arrived still so I can’t get to fully grasp the picture. Hard to do researching through YouTube etc.

anyway additional info below:

Router is a tp-link archer with some good security measures(mcafee if i remember correctly).

router’s access control is set to registered MAC addresses for wifi clients.

network is for family use only, accessing nas over the internet as cloud and storage backup and media files.

windows 10 pro, macOS, iOS

RIGHT NOw, I don’t have any installed in any of my computers. But then again, i don’t torrent in my windows pc. 

to repeat my concern.... using nas’ download station for downloading torrents podcasts etc, will it be necessary to install a security software, or is synology’s linux OS comparable to the current windows defender and firewall?

You probably don't need any additional security software. 

Id put the antivirus on the software just to make sure there isn't any malware in your torrents.

Id say a big worry is hiding torrent use from your ISP if they care as they can be picky are torrent traffic.

10 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

router’s access control is set to registered MAC addresses for wifi clients.

Just saying, not very secure, those are super easy to spoof and get valid ones. Ive done this many times to get on to networks(in a lab enviroment)

<--- Thread moved to Servers and NAS --->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You probably don't need any additional security software. 

Id put the antivirus on the software just to make sure there isn't any malware in your torrents.

Id say a big worry is hiding torrent use from your ISP if they care as they can be picky are torrent traffic.

Just saying, not very secure, those are super easy to spoof and get valid ones. Ive done this many times to get on to networks(in a lab enviroment)

Lab environment.....right 😂😂😂 thanks! Appreciate that heads up. Hmm ye i suppose.  But it’s just for local security tho. I mean so no one else could log into my network through wifi. In the unlikely event they see my hidden network and network key. 

as for the torrent and isp. No, I don’t think it’s in my ISPs priorities right now. They’restill busy expanding and housing in clients 😂

as for the antivirus on the software.... you’re referring to the synology’s OS/VM/LINUX/VM Right? I will install the antivirus through the GUI, and not install those in my mac and windows pc right?

I will normally access the nas/ubuntu/other suspicious websites(torrents) through my MAC. 

1 hour ago, Chrismike said:

Lab environment.....right 😂😂😂 thanks! Appreciate that heads up. Hmm ye i suppose.  But it’s just for local security tho. I mean so no one else could log into my network through wifi. In the unlikely event they see my hidden network and network key. 

as for the torrent and isp. No, I don’t think it’s in my ISPs priorities right now. They’restill busy expanding and housing in clients 😂

as for the antivirus on the software.... you’re referring to the synology’s OS/VM/LINUX/VM Right? I will install the antivirus through the GUI, and not install those in my mac and windows pc right?

I will normally access the nas/ubuntu/other suspicious websites(torrents) through my MAC. 

Just saying, hidden network is less secure. Its easy to spot if your looking for it, and devices will broadcast the hidden network name if they can't find it

Synology has the antivirus, nice to have to make sure you don't get a torrent with a virus. Won't protect it, but will keep your windows systems safer.