PSU cable capacitors

Rainbrew

Hey everyone so I built my new PC today finally and it's stunningly fast. However I ran into an issue during building where I couldn't manage the cables coming from the power supply nearly as nearly as I had hoped due to the cables having a very thick capacitor portion right before the end of all the cables (psu in question is RM750x). The absolute mess of cables in my otherwise spotless beautiful new PC is bugging me up no end and I was wondering if swapping these cables out for regular braided ones would cause any performance/stability/safety degradation to my system?

7 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

if swapping these cables out for regular braided ones would cause any performance/stability/safety degradation to my system?

As long as they arent some cheap aliexpress cables, no.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

5 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

As long as they arent some cheap aliexpress cables, no.

So I assume Phanteks cables would be ok? Don't have access to cablemod in my country and I found a pack of various extenders from them at a good price

1 minute ago, Rainbrew said:

So I assume Phanteks cables would be ok?

Absolutely

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, SGT-AMD said:

If it's a Modular PSU, you have to keep those chokes on them where they are.

It's fully modular, but I assume if I plug the extensions in to the end bits it should work fine?

You CAN NOT use cables from other power supplies unless you're absolutely sure the pinout is the same ... for example if you know both power supplies use the same Seasonic OEM / base design.

You could order the cables that bother you without capacitors from sites like cablemod, if they have the model of your power supply in their list of supported power supplies.

The capacitors on the cables provide extra filtering, but they're not critical.  If it really bothers you, you could just remove the capacitors by cutting the heatshrink sleeve and snipping the leads of the capacitors.

2 hours ago, Rainbrew said:

So I assume Phanteks cables would be ok? Don't have access to cablemod in my country and I found a pack of various extenders from them at a good price

Don't use extensions.  That will make your cables three feet long.  You do know Ohm's law, right?

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Don't use extensions.  That will make your cables three feet long.  You do know Ohm's law, right?

Do you know if there’s a triple 8 pin cable that can be used for 3090 AIBs?  The Strimer Plus extension is the only thing of this nature that I’ve found.  I know you don’t recommend extensions, so I’m just asking if there’s a sleeved cable that functions this way.  Like a triple 8 pin version of the Corsair Type 4 cables, for example.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

17 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

Do you know if there’s a triple 8 pin cable that can be used for 3090 AIBs?  The Strimer Plus extension is the only thing of this nature that I’ve found.  I know you don’t recommend extensions, so I’m just asking if there’s a sleeved cable that functions this way.  Like a triple 8 pin version of the Corsair Type 4 cables, for example.

You buy three 8-pin connector cables.

2 hours ago, lerodemmy said:

Do you know if there’s a triple 8 pin cable that can be used for 3090 AIBs?

You think they slapped three connectors there just for fun ? You need to use separate cables for each connector.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

16 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So the only realistic way to go around this is to pay ~100usd (in my country) for custom cables? It's ridiculously more expensive than 50cm extensions. I'm not sure if the price is way too high or this is normal for sleeved cables.

19 hours ago, mariushm said:

You CAN NOT use cables from other power supplies unless you're absolutely sure the pinout is the same ... for example if you know both power supplies use the same Seasonic OEM / base design.

You could order the cables that bother you without capacitors from sites like cablemod, if they have the model of your power supply in their list of supported power supplies.

The capacitors on the cables provide extra filtering, but they're not critical.  If it really bothers you, you could just remove the capacitors by cutting the heatshrink sleeve and snipping the leads of the capacitors.

I'd definitely rather not use anything sharp near the cables themselves and i definitely wasn't going to start plugging in random cables from other powersupplies. I'm assuming that the extension cables could have some impact on resistance but would it matter in this case at all?

On 4/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, jonnyGURU said:

You buy three 8-pin connector cables.

I’m planning to order cables from CableMod for my RM1000x (2021).  CableMod’s website says their cables are compatible with RMx, but I assume that refers to the old RMx versions.  Do you think they’d also be compatible with the new versions?  i.e. Do the new RMx have the same pinouts as the old ones?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

I mean, in-cable capacitors suck, i'd rather have RM-x version without them, especially since the ripple is already low enough that without in-cable capacitors it should be still well within normal limits for high-end PSU. But i have an RM-x with in-cable capacitors, i've redone cabling in my case several times and while it was a pain i wouldn't say looks particularly nasty. Don't be afraid to bend them, they can be tucked in. In any case, while i don't recommend that, you can undo the heatshrink, cut capacitors off, insulate cut wires and heatshrink the cable back, there's no harm in cutting the in-cable caps off but slightly higher ripple, Jon can perhaps tell us exact values but i suppose it should be well within 20-30mV range which is perfectly okay.

(sorry for the dust lol)

photo_2021-04-02_20-41-41.thumb.jpg.b0c76de449b40f8896940ae46998718b.jpg

44 minutes ago, lerodemmy said:

Do the new RMx have the same pinouts as the old ones?

Yes.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, lerodemmy said:

I’m planning to order cables from CableMod for my RM1000x (2021).  CableMod’s website says their cables are compatible with RMx, but I assume that refers to the old RMx versions.  Do you think they’d also be compatible with the new versions?  i.e. Do the new RMx have the same pinouts as the old ones?

Old, new.. it doesn't matter.

Everything you can buy in the last 5 to 7 years is Type 4 except for the HXi.

Where it gets confusing is the RM (no-x).  That was Type 3, like HXi.  But that product was short lived IIRC.