CPU recommendations for 3080

Hi, I recently (ish) upgraded to a 3080 FE from a 1080 and my current cpu (8700 non k) is bottlenecking a bit. Any suggestions? I get that stuff is hard to get now obviously, but I still want to get my best/moneys worth. I was also planning on getting an AIO cause I am just using the stock cooler that came with my current cpu since its a non k. Anyway, thank you in advance. 

So do you want to upgrade the platform or just the cpu? 

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So do you want to upgrade the platform or just the cpu? 

the platform, sorry should have clarified.

@TheGreatGamesby Can your CPU maintain 4.3 GHz indefinitely while gaming? Have you increased the turbo power limits yet? They 8700 will run significantly better when you set the default 65W turbo power limit much higher. 

The Intel OEM cooler might not be able to handle what this CPU can do when the power limits are unlocked. Start shopping by getting an AIO. 

8 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@TheGreatGamesby Can your CPU maintain 4.3 GHz indefinitely while gaming? Have you increased the turbo power limits yet? They 8700 will run significantly better when you set the default 65W turbo power limit much higher. 

The Intel OEM cooler might not be able to handle what this CPU can do when the power limits are unlocked. Start shopping by getting an AIO. 

I thought that was all blocked due to it being non k?

4 hours ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

all blocked

The maximum multiplier is blocked on the non K CPUs but the turbo power limits are usually left unlocked. It depends on the BIOS version. Have a look in the BIOS for the turbo power limits option. If you cannot find a BIOS option you can always use software like ThrottleStop to increase your turbo power limits. You will see a lock icon on the left hand side of the TPL window if the BIOS has locked the power limits. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

uoKZUF5.png

Just now, unclewebb said:

The maximum multiplier is blocked on the non K CPUs but the turbo power limits are usually left unlocked. It depends on the BIOS version. Have a look in the BIOS for the turbo power limits option. If you cannot find a BIOS option you can always use software like ThrottleStop to increase your turbo power limits. You will see a lock icon on the left hand side of the TPL window if the BIOS has locked the power limits. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

uoKZUF5.png

Alright, thank you sm! What do i set it to?

17 minutes ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

i would suggest just upgrading to zen 3 or comet lake, prolly 5800x for the pcie4+rbar support, leaving alot on the table with that 8700

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

32 minutes ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

What do i set it to?

Was PL1 set to 65W? That is the default value. Set both power limits sky high 4095 so they do not interfere with maximum performance. Run the built in TS Bench test to see if your cooler can handle this without the CPU getting too hot. Post a picture while testing. 

What's your budget?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

9 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Was PL1 set to 65W? That is the default value. Set both power limits sky high 4095 so they do not interfere with maximum performance. Run the built in TS Bench test to see if your cooler can handle this without the CPU getting too hot. Post a picture while testing. 

Ok here is the tpl power limit page, image.png.2144a564960aea6c5b4fcbe9c2775b11.png, here is the page right after the benchmark, I reached 100 Celsius during it. image.png.454fd540ca7b6855d1412a8da83d32da.png 

@TheGreatGamesby Was PL1 originally set to 65W? Your screenshot shows that your cooler is junk but we already knew that. What sort of temps are you seeing while gaming? Full speed for your CPU is 4300 MHz. Can you maintain that speed while gaming? Cinebench R20 would probably constantly thermal throttle with that heatsink. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Did you disable the C states in the BIOS? You need to have at least C3 enabled in the BIOS so these locked CPUs can use the maximum multiplier when lightly loaded. Open the C States window (press the C1 button) and see if your CPU is using any C states when it is idle.

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

@TheGreatGamesby Was PL1 originally set to 65W? Your screenshot shows that your cooler is junk but we already knew that. What sort of temps are you seeing while gaming? Full speed for your CPU is 4300 MHz. Can you maintain that speed while gaming? Cinebench R20 would probably constantly thermal throttle with that heatsink. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

I didnt change the pl1 to my knowledge, but I've had this for years so i may just not remember. Should I run r20 and see if i throttle?

1 minute ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

Should I run r20 and see if i throttle?

Sure, why not. Check the C states too when idle. Some Asus computers automatically set the power limits to 4095 in the BIOS. A CPU hitting 100°C cannot deliver maximum or consistent performance. 

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Sure, why not. Check the C states too when idle. Some Asus computers automatically set the power limits to 4095 in the BIOS.

If you mean c0% by C state then its about 11% when idle. I hit 100 pretty quick in r20 then throttles to 4100mhz.

11% in the C0 state when idle is not very idle. That means you have lots of stuff running in the background on your computer that is interfering with your CPU performance. About 0.5% in C0 is normal when idle. Check the Task Manager - Details tab to find out what is slowing down your computer.

The C States window looks like this.

faif0D7.png

When your computer is idle, it it shows 0.0 in the top table for C3, C6 and C7; your CPU will not be able to use the higher multipliers when it is lightly loaded. The Package C States at the bottom are not important. 

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

11% in the C0 state when idle is not very idle. That means you have lots of stuff running in the background on your computer that is interfering with your CPU performance. About 0.5% in C0 is normal when idle. Check the Task Manager - Details tab to find out what is slowing down your computer.

The C States window looks like this.

faif0D7.png

When your computer is idle, it it shows 0.0 in the top table for C3, C6 and C7; your CPU will not be able to use the higher multipliers when it is lightly loaded. The Package C States at the bottom are not important. 

This is when idle. I get anywhere from 5% to 25% cpu when idle according to task managerimage.png.c42f229a7b243aa83f98d2307fc937fa.png

15 minutes ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

This is when idle

Here is a comparison of a 6 core CPU running at 4300 MHz. Cores spending 99% of their time in one of the low power C states shows that a computer is idle. You have a LOT of stuff running in the background on your computer. This can interfere with smooth game play. Have a look in the Task Manager Details tab to find out what is running on your computer and decide whether it needs to be running or not. This will help keep your temps down when gaming.

UjrrWPW.png

16 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Here is a comparison of a 6 core CPU running at 4300 MHz. Cores spending 99% of their time in one of the low power C states shows that a computer is idle. You have a LOT of stuff running in the background on your computer. This can interfere with smooth game play. Have a look in the Task Manager Details tab to find out what is running on your computer and decide whether it needs to be running or not. This will help keep your temps down when gaming.

UjrrWPW.png

see but the thing is a lot of it is like steam ideling and things that shouldnt take a lot of cpu. Also At the top of task manager it says X% cpu usage but that is way more than the things on the list combined

58 minutes ago, TheGreatGamesby said:

task manager

The Details tab is the accurate one. The data in the Processes and Performance tabs and the graphs are bugged.

If there is anything in the Details tab list loading your CPU that you do not need running all of the time, get rid of it. If Steam is bloated and you need it, not much you can do about that. 

image.png.65fe4f724aa1af59faee8348919ac992.png 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

The Details tab is the accurate one. The data in the Processes and Performance tabs and the graphs are bugged.

If there is anything in the Details tab list loading your CPU that you do not need running all of the time, get rid of it. If Steam is bloated and you need it, not much you can do about that. 

image.png.65fe4f724aa1af59faee8348919ac992.png 

its mainly system idle process, chrome, and steam. 

6 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

What's your budget?

around 400 ish USD