5900X / B550 -- DoA?

Snoo19331

I now own PC of this particular configuration:

And cannot track down the issue that prevents me from booting this PC. So far, I've never even seen it entering into BIOS.

1. I've been constantly getting CPU Debug LED indication, and re-flashing / resetting BIOS doesn't appear to help either.

2. A weird behavior of fans is spotted -- one of the front fans appear to not spin, instead it loosely twitches as if there's not enough power, other ones are working as expected

What I have tried:

- turning it on without RAM, getting CPU/DRAM indication shimmering repeatedly, after a few seconds it stopped at DRAM

- any possible combinations of RAM (different sticks, different slots), no drives except NVMe connected -- stuck at CPU LED

- re-attaching CPU, GPU

Is there a way to distinguish whether the motherboard or CPU has failed?

Have you updated the BIOS to a version that supports Zen 3 processors? The board should have USB BIOS flashback functionality. Here's a video showing how to update on the Gaming Edge, but the process should be identical.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

8 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Have you updated the BIOS to a version that supports Zen 3 processors? The board should have USB BIOS flashback functionality. Here's a video showing how to update on the Gaming Edge, but the process should be identical.

Yes, I have. In fact, I did this before assembling it first time -- the version I flashed was 7C90v15 with AGESA 1.2.0.0, and I followed the process step-by-step, as shown in the video.

2 minutes ago, Snoo19331 said:

Yes, I have. In fact, I did this before assembling it first time -- the version I flashed was 7C90v15 with AGESA 1.2.0.0, and I followed the process step-by-step, as shown in the video.

Is there any way you could get the CPU tested, at a PC shop for example? Just to determine which part you would need to be RMA-ing. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

4 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Is there any way you could get the CPU tested, at a PC shop for example? Just to determine which part you would need to be RMA-ing. 

Not in the near future I believe, I have expected that additional information about fans or DRAM LED would reveal something. What I thought that if it's detected that RAM is no longer present and CPU LED doesn't light, then motherboard is at fault.

I guess I'll be following RMA procedure then.

13 hours ago, bellabichon said:

5 hours ago, JasperNuijten said:

Do you maybe have a different CPU to test the board?

I connected PSU to another PC and received approximately 20-25 short beeps, it cannot start properly. Now I'm leaning towards PSU -- and I have already sent my motherboard and CPU for analysis. What should I be doing next? My old, decrepit PSU used to work with old PC but I got rid of it shortly after.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:32 AM, bellabichon said:

On 3/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, JasperNuijten said:

Do you maybe have a different CPU to test the board?

Thanks everyone, it turned out that CPU was dead on arrival.