Asus x570 TUF Plus

So I am looking to upgrade the CPU and believe I will get the AMD 5800x.  I am not a heavy overclocker (not anymore anyway) but want some room to do so.  

My 2700 @ 3.9ghz has been fine but now time to step it up a little.  I do some light gaming and astronomy image processing.  The 16 threads helps a bunch in this area.

So I am looking at this motherboard.  Seems to be a decent budget x570 board from many reviews I have seen.  So I am looking for pros and cons running this with a 5000 series CPU.

Any other solutions is welcome.  

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

The only Con really is the chipset fan. Some people don't like to hear it at start up, much less audible when system is actually running.

Anything else will be your preference when comparing boards. How many USB ports, RGB headers, component placement ect ect. 

i'd get the b550 version of the board. the x570 doesn't have bios flashback, so it's likely it will come with an old bios that doesn't support the 5800x.

34 minutes ago, Dxer said:
28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The only Con really is the chipset fan. Some people don't like to hear it at start up, much less audible when system is actually running.

Anything else will be your preference when comparing boards. How many USB ports, RGB headers, component placement ect ect. 

RGB headers aren't needed though I see it does come with a couple.  I already have a Corsair Commander with a couple of hubs running my 6 LL fans and some strips.

This has the needed USB headers I am currently using.

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i'd get the b550 version of the board. the x570 doesn't have bios flashback, so it's likely it will come with an old bios that doesn't support the 5800x.

You might need to elaborate on this.   Looks like from the manual that I shouldn't have any problem updating the BIOS.  Something I have done with many other boards without problems (knock on wood) and this looks just as easy.  

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

59 minutes ago, Dxer said:

You might need to elaborate on this.   Looks like from the manual that I shouldn't have any problem updating the BIOS.  Something I have done with many other boards without problems (knock on wood) and this looks just as easy.  

right so since the x570 boards were released before the 5000 series cpus, they might be sold with older bioses that don't support the 5000 series cpu.

this means that in order to update the board to the latest bios that supports the cpu, you either need an older gen cpu (2000 or 3000 series), or a motherboard that has bios flashback functionality (allows bios update withtout a cpu installed).

the asus x570 tuf doesn't support bios flashback, so if you're unlucky and the board you have comes with an older bios that doesn't support the 5800x, you'll have to take it to a pc store and ask them to update bios for you.

the asus b550 tuf has bios flashback, so in case it ships with an old bios, you can update it yourself.

2 hours ago, Dxer said:

So I am looking to upgrade the CPU and believe I will get the AMD 5800x.  I am not a heavy overclocker (not anymore anyway) but want some room to do so.  

My 2700 @ 3.9ghz has been fine but now time to step it up a little.  I do some light gaming and astronomy image processing.  The 16 threads helps a bunch in this area.

So I am looking at this motherboard.  Seems to be a decent budget x570 board from many reviews I have seen.  So I am looking for pros and cons running this with a 5000 series CPU.

Any other solutions is welcome.  

x570 TUF is dec- ah nevermind. It's using 4 SiC639's, in a 4x3+2 configuration. Not good. If you're going to be overclocking heavily, It's not the way to go. How much is it? The MSI x570 tomahawk is a better overclocking board (6x2+2 phases, it uses better intersil ISL99360 mosfets) it should be a similar price (might not be, I checked online and prices don't seem to be great...?). If you can spare about $275, the Gigabyte b550 aorus master blows both out of the water, with Intersil TDA21472's in a True 14+2 Phase configuration. You almost always pay a heavy ASUS tax for their motherboards, I almost never recommend them to people who care about overclocking or getting a good value. Do also note that for a 5800x you're going to need a pretty robust cooling solution.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

right so since the x570 boards were released before the 5000 series cpus, they might be sold with older bioses that don't support the 5000 series cpu.

this means that in order to update the board to the latest bios that supports the cpu, you either need an older gen cpu (2000 or 3000 series), or a motherboard that has bios flashback functionality (allows bios update withtout a cpu installed).

the asus x570 tuf doesn't support bios flashback, so if you're unlucky and the board you have comes with an older bios that doesn't support the 5800x, you'll have to take it to a pc store and ask them to update bios for you.

the asus b550 tuf has bios flashback, so in case it ships with an old bios, you can update it yourself.

Right, kind of figured that is what you meant.  I am currently running the 2700 which will allow me to set the board up prior to plugging in a new 5000 series CPU. 

25 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

x570 TUF is dec- ah nevermind. It's using 4 SiC639's, in a 4x3+2 configuration. Not good. If you're going to be overclocking heavily, It's not the way to go. How much is it? The MSI x570 tomahawk is a better overclocking board (6x2+2 phases, it uses better intersil ISL99360 mosfets) it should be a similar price (might not be, I checked online and prices don't seem to be great...?). If you can spare about $275, the Gigabyte b550 aorus master blows both out of the water, with Intersil TDA21472's in a True 14+2 Phase configuration. You almost always pay a heavy ASUS tax for their motherboards, I almost never recommend them to people who care about overclocking or getting a good value. Do also note that for a 5800x you're going to need a pretty robust cooling solution.

Like I mentioned, I won't be doing any heavy overclocking.  But I will kick it up a few notches.  With that being said, I will look more into the other boards you mentioned.  

As for my cooling solution, I am currently running the Corsair H115 pro AIO which does an excellent job keeping my 2700 cool.  I am expecting to see temps rise a fair amount with the 5800x but I should still be able to keep it within reasonable temperatures.  If not, no biggie.  I'll just get a bigger rad.

4 minutes ago, Dxer said:

Right, kind of figured that is what you meant.  I am currently running the 2700 which will allow me to set the board up prior to plugging in a new 5000 series CPU. 

Like I mentioned, I won't be doing any heavy overclocking.  But I will kick it up a few notches.  With that being said, I will look more into the other boards you mentioned.  

As for my cooling solution, I am currently running the Corsair H115 pro AIO which does an excellent job keeping my 2700 cool.  I am expecting to see temps rise a fair amount with the 5800x but I should still be able to keep it within reasonable temperatures.  If not, no biggie.  I'll just get a bigger rad.

ah then go ahead. the tuf is a good board. sure, you won't do LN2 overclocking on it, but for air/aio you can max out any cpu on it. and given it's current price, which is much cheaper than the tomahawk, i'd go for it.

17 minutes ago, Dxer said:

Sorry, my bad, I thought you were saying that you *were* a heavy overclocker. The TUF x570 is a decent board if you're not concerned about pushing your chips. Otherwise looks good. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU