I have problems with my Unraid permissions

I currently have a problem with my new Unraid server.
When I try to move / delete things on my share through my windows computer signed in as admin with read/write access to the share, it says I need permissions of user \nobody to do that.
I understand that that is the default user of unraid.
The data I am talking about was transferred on the server through Krusaders synchronization tool from my old NAS over the network. From what I read so far that could have been the issue.
Solutions I found so far did not work tho.

I also can't delete the files through the Krusader GUI. I had to go into the command line to delete the files.
I already ran both the common problems plugin and the new permissions plugin on all disks and shares.
All permissions seem to be managed how I need them as well.

Now I'm kinda clueless as to what to try next so every help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Have you verified file ownership is on the new NAS user and not the old one? Do you have SSH?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Have you verified file ownership is on the new NAS user and not the old one? Do you have SSH?

If I navigate to the files through windows it shows me Tower/nobody as owner of the files.
SSH is enabled, but I'm not sure I am using it to be honest. How would I go about checking that?

Thanks for the help!!

56 minutes ago, Reikasa_ said:

If I navigate to the files through windows it shows me Tower/nobody as owner of the files.
SSH is enabled, but I'm not sure I am using it to be honest. How would I go about checking that?

Thanks for the help!!

First you need to get SSH connected and verify you can login as the administrator.

Download Putty and run it, enter the IP address of your NAS into the Hostname box and click Open. The first thing that should happen is a certificate warning, just click Yes/OK and it should connect and ask you to login. Login with the administrator username and password then to verify you actually have root permissions enter sudo su (it'll probably ask you to re-enter your password, this is the same one you logged in with). If all that works then post back, if it fails take a screenshot of the terminal window and post it.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

First you need to get SSH connected and verify you can login as the administrator.

Download Putty and run it, enter the IP address of your NAS into the Hostname box and click Open. The first thing that should happen is a certificate warning, just click Yes/OK and it should connect and ask you to login. Login with the administrator username and password then to verify you actually have root permissions enter sudo su (it'll probably ask you to re-enter your password, this is the same one you logged in with). If all that works then post back, if it fails take a screenshot of the terminal window and post it.

it seemed to work without any problems. I didn't have to retype the password. 
I'm now connected with the Unraid server.

(attached putty window)

Putty.PNG

30 minutes ago, Reikasa_ said:

it seemed to work without any problems. I didn't have to retype the password. 
I'm now connected with the Unraid server.

(attached putty window)

Putty.PNG

Hmm, well on further investigation it seems as though you shouldn't mess with permissions through terminal on Unraid so I'm going to suggest you stop, head over to Unraids support forums and ask for help over there.

I'm very familiar with Linux but not Unraid specifically and since there's a real chance of data loss if something goes wrong I don't feel confident giving you further instructions. Best to ask people who know what is good and bad practice.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Hmm, well on further investigation it seems as though you shouldn't mess with permissions through terminal on Unraid so I'm going to suggest you stop, head over to Unraids support forums and ask for help over there.

I'm very familiar with Linux but not Unraid specifically and since there's a real chance of data loss if something goes wrong I don't feel confident giving you further instructions. Best to ask people who know what is good and bad practice.

Ok thank you for taking the time tho! Very much appreciated

You should create users for accessing your files, not using the default root user.

In UnRAID under Users, you can add a user. 

Then go into Shares, click on the share you want to work with. 

Scroll to the bottom to SMB User Access, and give the user the Read/Write access to be able to modify. 

Then mount the share with your user. 

You can do this through "Map network drive" and "Connect using different credentials" 

Or you can run this in CMD Prompt. 

net use <driveletter>: \\tower\<sharename> /USER:tower\<username> <password> /PERSISTENT:YES

So mine might look like this 

net use Z: \\tower\jarskyshare /USER:tower\jarsky mybestpassword /PERSISTENT:YES

Keep in mind with Windows, you can only mount under 1 username at a time to the same hostname. 

So if you already have the share mapped as root, you need to Disconnect that first, before mapping as your user. Or it will still be using the root credentials. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA