Am4 backplate

Swinefludeth

Hello, I'm brand new to pc's so bear with me.  I have a question, About a month ago I bought a prebuilt from Newegg. The cpu cooler that came with it is pretty cheap and I'd like to upgrade it. I bought a Kraken AIO to replace it with, but I see in the instructions that you need to use the stock am4 back plate that came with the MOTHERBOARD. Well mine has the one that I guess came with this cooler. My question is do I need to find a stock am4 back plate, or will the one that is on there now work with the new AIO? Sorry for the ignorance. Pictured below is the cpu cooler and back plate that is currently on my pc. Thank you very much!

20210318_061131.jpg

20210318_060948.jpg

1 minute ago, Swinefludeth said:

20210318_060948.jpg

Tip: Hold CTRL and double click on the image to resize it!

Well its not the STOCK am4 backplate, but it still fits the AM4 socket, so it should still work. Only thing i can think of that could f**k it up, is the threads. IDK if it uses the same threads on the nuts and screws as the stock AM4. Since you already have the AIO, just remove the backplate and see if the AIOs screws fit in the backplate.

If it doesnt fit, then you should be able to find an stock am4 backplate on the used market for a few bucks.

It should be fine, But if you can get your hands on a metal back plate with insulator, then I would use one of those like the stock ones.

However if you use the one you have just make sure not to over tighten it and you should be just fine.

If the board is bowing then its too tight! 

20 minutes ago, Noirdrath said:

It should be fine, But if you can get your hands on a metal back plate with insulator, then I would use one of those like the stock ones.

However if you use the one you have just make sure not to over tighten it and you should be just fine.

If the board is bowing then its too tight! 

Thank you very much sir. I may just try and locate a stock metal one if you think that's best

Just now, Swinefludeth said:

Thank you very much sir. I may just try and locate a stock metal one if you think that's best

AIO's aren't all that heavy, so you should be fine, but if you can get a stock metal one then do that. It's always better to go a little overkill 😉

as long as the thread are the same your fine.

don't worry about over tightening. it pretty hard to do these days. just hand tighten the stand off screws that connect to the backplate. the nuts that connect to the stand offs holding the block/pump to the CPU will only allow you to turn them so far as the threads stop part way down. side note it's harder to over tighten on AMD motherboards do to the socket type too. not recommend by most most but I mount my aios way tigher than needed without issues.