TF2 keys and how they are used

drewtcjones

I am just now getting used to the trading methods in steam. Are TF2/Dota Keys almost like stocks in a sense? Should i buy them when they are low or does it really matter? Since the cost for a game in keys is usually equivalent to its historical lowest price correct?

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

I think you get crates which you then use the keys to open them.

Quote me to get a reply!

They are also used as currency on some steam trading websites. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

If you are talking about ways to make money. Keys are not the way to go. They basically have the most stable price, and they will never rise to anything significant.

Personally I sold off virtually all of my Tf2 interior and fully moved on to CS:GO inventory. Mainly for the reason that after so many years in Tf2, I don't have the appeal anymore. But also because Tf2 trading is a joke and a nightmare.

I've made about $150 in CS:GO without ever adding a penny to my Steam wallet. The key is to hop on items right before they discontinue. Or buy less common items in a time when they are more common and sell them when they are rare. For example, the Nova Antique Factory New, you can pick it up for $4.50 right after drops reset (Thursday morning 1 am EST if I remember correctly), and then resell it for $6.50+, even $7+ on the following Tuesday/Wednesday. This works for this gun because there aren't many Phoenix cases on the market (compared to other cases) so people are unboxing them when the drops reset and not as many are buying them off the market during the time that the drops have stopped (you can only get a few cases per week).

Another weapon I am making a good amount on is the M4A4 Modern Hunter minimal wear, which has stopped dropping entirely. It already has increased $7 since I bought it. But the best margins are on cases that stop dropping. I bought some Bravo cases for 14 cents way back when and now they're starting to break $1.40, 1000% value!

The main thing that makes CS:GO so much easier is that you can just sell everything on the marketplace. Tf2 was such a horrible experience in prices and trade servers were a cesspit of 25 people screaming on the mic for overinflated prices. It could take hours to get a deal that isn't screwing you over for a basic item. CS:GO you just put it on the market and it'll sell almost instantly. Even rare items can sell within minutes. I don't play Dota 2, but from friends who play, they say the trading is similar to CS:GO.

If you are talking about ways to make money. Keys are not the way to go. They basically have the most stable price, and they will never rise to anything significant.

Personally I sold off virtually all of my Tf2 interior and fully moved on to CS:GO inventory. Mainly for the reason that after so many years in Tf2, I don't have the appeal anymore. But also because Tf2 trading is a joke and a nightmare.

I've made about $150 in CS:GO without ever adding a penny to my Steam wallet. The key is to hop on items right before they discontinue. Or buy less common items in a time when they are more common and sell them when they are rare. For example, the Nova Antique Factory New, you can pick it up for $4.50 right after drops reset (Thursday morning 1 am EST if I remember correctly), and then resell it for $6.50+, even $7+ on the following Tuesday/Wednesday. This works for this gun because there aren't many Phoenix cases on the market (compared to other cases) so people are unboxing them when the drops reset and not as many are buying them off the market during the time that the drops have stopped (you can only get a few cases per week).

Another weapon I am making a good amount on is the M4A4 Modern Hunter minimal wear, which has stopped dropping entirely. It already has increased $7 since I bought it. But the best margins are on cases that stop dropping. I bought some Bravo cases for 14 cents way back when and now they're starting to break $1.40, 1000% value!

The main thing that makes CS:GO so much easier is that you can just sell everything on the marketplace. Tf2 was such a horrible experience in prices and trade servers were a cesspit of 25 people screaming on the mic for overinflated prices. It could take hours to get a deal that isn't screwing you over for a basic item. CS:GO you just put it on the market and it'll sell almost instantly. Even rare items can sell within minutes. I don't play Dota 2, but from friends who play, they say the trading is similar to CS:GO.

wow, thanks i might have to try this

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

I disagree with what Blue Fellow is saying. TF2 keys rise a lot. They have risen from 2.55 to 7.33 refined in one and a half year. And they are used as a currency more than anything. I don't have much to say, if you want just add me on steam and I could talk more. Also, Blue Fellow, I would like to know a bit more about the CS:GO economy as I have no experience in that. I'd like to add you to discuss further.

I disagree with what Blue Fellow is saying. TF2 keys rise a lot. They have risen from 2.55 to 7.33 refined in one and a half year. And they are used as a currency more than anything. I don't have much to say, if you want just add me on steam and I could talk more. Also, Blue Fellow, I would like to know a bit more about the CS:GO economy as I have no experience in that. I'd like to add you to discuss further.

The price of keys going up I believe is more of a result of the price of refined going down. A key will always be tied to it's $2.49 price since that is the only way to get an original one. You will never be able to get more then $2.49 for a key. So back when they sold for 2.55, that put the value of refined at roughly $1 a piece. Now a refined is worth around 27 cents.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bluefellow/ <-- my Steam account