PSU upgrade?

Rainbrew
Go to solution Solved by tishous,
13 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

My main question is which one of these would be better? The SilentiumPC one has many more "outputs" on the back (idk what they're called), however the Thermaltake one doesn't have the power tripping fault and additionally has OTP.

I've personally never heard of SilentiumPC, but if it is reviewed by trustworthy sources like 3rd party review websites then it could be a good option. I personally would go for the Thermaltake just because it's a brand I have heard of and many people use their PSUs.

14 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Does the amount of ports on the back of the PSU matter? Or is it possible to just run splitters in case I for whatever reason needed more connectors?

My main goal is to throw the PSU into my system and not worry about it ever again while leaving decent headroom for some moderate overclocking and the GPU upgrade in the future. Thanks in advance!

As long as you have 2 or 3 PCIe cables and, if you're using SATA drives, enough SATA cables, then I don't think it should play too much of a factor on what power supply you go for. You can use splitters, but if you're running a 3070 off one GPU power cable into a splitter, then it's possible that it would require more power than the cable is rated for, which can lead to the wire melting etc. For overclocking a 3070 or even a 3060ti I would definitely not recommend using a single PCIe cable.

Hi, I'm currently in the middle of a PC rebuild. I'm exchanging the motherboard, ram, cpu, cooler, and case. Somehow I forgot to account for the fact that running a new processor will probably increase my systems powerdraw. ATM I'm running an i7-2600 with a Gtx 1060 6gb with a 550w Corsair 80plus bronze PSU (dont remember the exact model). According to a psu power draw calculator changing the processor to a ryzen 5 5600x should have a max powerdraw of approximately 531 watts, however I know that power supplies wear out over time and my PSU may not be capable of meeting that powerdraw (have had it for 4 years now). I'm looking atm at the SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 750w and Thermaltake Toughpower 750w GF1. I'd like to run this system with an rtx 3060ti/3070 in the future once prices are reasonable, but I'm unsure with which one to go. The Tierlist lists them both as A-tier with the SilentiumPC PSU not having reliable enough reviews (due to being mainly available in europe/poland), and some power tripping issue.

1) My main question is which one of these would be better? The SilentiumPC one has many more "outputs" on the back (idk what they're called), however the Thermaltake one doesn't have the power tripping fault and additionally has OTP.

2) The tierlist however has (ARGB/RGB) written next to the listing, does that mean that the regular version of the Thermaltake, which is significantly cheaper in my country, isn't included?

3) Does the amount of ports on the back of the PSU matter? Or is it possible to just run splitters in case I for whatever reason needed more connectors?

My main goal is to throw the PSU into my system and not worry about it ever again while leaving decent headroom for some moderate overclocking and the GPU upgrade in the future. Thanks in advance!

I've also found that the Bitfenix Formula 750w is very affordable so I'm also considering that one (also top tier on tierlist). With this comes an additional question, as the spec sheet I'm looking at mentions that it has PCI-E 2.0 power connectors. I assume that means the ones going into the graphics card, but are they also compatible with GTX 1060 (which I think is pcie 3.0) and the RTX cards? I dont know if the power standard has changed or something so I'd rather double-check.

edit: ah it's non-modular nvm

13 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

My main question is which one of these would be better? The SilentiumPC one has many more "outputs" on the back (idk what they're called), however the Thermaltake one doesn't have the power tripping fault and additionally has OTP.

I've personally never heard of SilentiumPC, but if it is reviewed by trustworthy sources like 3rd party review websites then it could be a good option. I personally would go for the Thermaltake just because it's a brand I have heard of and many people use their PSUs.

14 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Does the amount of ports on the back of the PSU matter? Or is it possible to just run splitters in case I for whatever reason needed more connectors?

As long as you have 2 or 3 PCIe cables and, if you're using SATA drives, enough SATA cables, then I don't think it should play too much of a factor on what power supply you go for. You can use splitters, but if you're running a 3070 off one GPU power cable into a splitter, then it's possible that it would require more power than the cable is rated for, which can lead to the wire melting etc. For overclocking a 3070 or even a 3060ti I would definitely not recommend using a single PCIe cable.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

20 minutes ago, tishous said:

I've also found a good deal for a Corsair RM 750W, is this the "RM Gray" the tierlist is referring to? Corsair is much better known than the aforementioned two companies and this thing has a 10 year warranty which is perfect for my "chuck it in the case and forget about it" build goal.