PSU Selection & Memory Issues

rsethc

Looking for some suggestions on a good PSU to upgrade to, & also a bit of diagnosis help with stability problems.

Yesterday I finally built an upgraded system for gaming & code compilation usage, with some old and some new parts:

- AMD Ryzen 3900X

- ASRock X570 Taichi

- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2X32GB 3200Mhz

- (old) Nvidia 750 Ti

- (old) 2X 7200rpm 3.5" spinning rust

- (old) 1X 5400rpm 2.5" laptop spinning rust

- (old) 1X SATA SSD

- 2X Samsung 980 M.2 SSDs

- (old) Corsair CX600M

After I finished building it, I did get the system to run, but had some trouble getting the memory to work at 3200 MHz as it's rated for. The XMP profile didn't work, and I thought I solved it by increasing the memory voltage from 1.35V to 1.38V since it then booted just fine, but playing some BeamNG.drive with a bunch of AI cars (yeah not the most scientific test but it was pretty consistent) the game would crash after a few minutes, and after a few game crashes it would be a BSOD with some memory related error. Under the assumption that memory errors meant not enough memory overclock stability, I increased DRAM voltage, increased SOC voltage a lot too, and still got the same exact behavior.

I did run across this article: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubleshooting_Computer_Memory

So before recommendations for new PSU (I do plan to get one anyway to be able to upgrade my GPU when the market is no longer experiencing a resonance cascade), if anyone could speak to whether they have personally had or seen a build where memory issues were happening but then swapping PSUs solved it? The PSU is old, from day one that I bought the Bulldozer board and CPU something like 7 years ago, but it never seemed to cause similar problems in that system. Could it just be because the new stuff is drawing quite a lot more power that I am seeing this happening now?

Second question: What PSU should I go get in order to comfortably support up to the following items as I continue to improve the system? These aren't all items I plan to get but do want to at least know I can upgrade to without worrying about stability. I did go X570 for a similar reason as I don't want to compromise on PCIe 4 capabilities.

- AMD Ryzen 5950X

- ASRock X570 Taichi

- 4X32GB DDR4-3200

- RTX 3080 or the top AMD offering

- 3X 7200RPM spinning rust

- 3X M.2 SSDs

- 2X SATA SSDs

I don't know how important listing SSDs of either kind is in terms of power draw, but I thought I might as well list them too since I'm specifying mechanical hard disks (I do think the moving parts in those are demanding enough to potentially matter to the PSU choice). 

Also any suggestions for retailers are welcome, I like Microcenter but they don't appear to have a great PSU selection, with anything over 1000W being their house brand PowerSpec which has not so good reviews on their own site.

Thanks for suggestions on any aspect of the above.

Try setting the RAM clockspeed to 3000Mhz and see what happens, it may just be a defective RAM stick.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Thanks. Haven't tested for very long but it seems to be stable at 3133 MHz so far. If it turns out to be that small of a decrease for stability I can live with that (I got this memory at a significantly reduced price for being open box - so maybe this is the exact reason someone returned it before). Still would like PSU suggestions if you have any, as I do plan to replace that fairly soon regardless of the memory situation.