PWM troubles...

KevAndThat

So my awesome new Noctua NF-S12B Redux case fan arrived today. I hooked it up to a PWM header and... Nothing. No spin. So I made sure the fan control was set to PWM in BIOS. Nothing. I tried to manually run the fan up in MSI command centre. Nothing. I've tried every available header besides the CPU fan header and... You guessed it. Nothing. Any ideas? Do I just have a lemon?聽

MSI MAG B250M Mortar

(Yes it definitely is PWM capable.)

If the headers operate other fans, it's obvious this fan came DOA. return it.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If the headers operate other fans, it's obvious this fan came DOA. return it.

I only have one other fan at my disposal and it's 3 pin DC 馃槙 but it does work in every header

2 minutes ago, KevAndThat said:

I only have one other fan at my disposal and it's 3 pin DC 馃槙 but it does work in every header

Most fans operate in DC and PWM mode as long as it has 4 wires. If the fan does not work in either DC or PWM mode from bios, send it back. It's Dead on arrival.

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Most fans operate in DC and PWM mode as long as it has 4 wires. If the fan does not work in either DC or PWM mode from bios, send it back. It's Dead on arrival.

I've emailed Noctua. I'm not ready to admit defeat just yet but I have a sinking feeling that you're right and it is just a lemon. In which case, it will be going back unfortunately 馃槥

Just now, KevAndThat said:

I've emailed Noctua. I'm not ready to admit defeat just yet but I have a sinking feeling that you're right and it is just a lemon. In which case, it will be going back unfortunately 馃槥

Yeah, I'm sorry for that. I don't like to bring people bad news. But at this forum, a lot of people have similar inquires and end up with much worse more important hardware that was DOA or had failed for some reason, like a motherboard. Or a stick of Ram. You are not alone.

-> Moved to Cooling

Sounds like DOA. It happens, don't worry about it. Noctua has excellent customer service.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/6/2021 at 4:12 AM, KevAndThat said:

So my awesome new Noctua NF-S12B Redux case fan arrived today. I hooked it up to a PWM header and... Nothing. No spin. So I made sure the fan control was set to PWM in BIOS. Nothing. I tried to manually run the fan up in MSI command centre. Nothing. I've tried every available header besides the CPU fan header and... You guessed it. Nothing. Any ideas? Do I just have a lemon?聽

MSI MAG B250M Mortar

(Yes it definitely is PWM capable.)

try the fan with a molex to fan connector if you have. 12v and ground alone will tell you fast if the fan is dead

16 hours ago, NorKris said:

try the fan with a molex to fan connector if you have. 12v and ground alone will tell you fast if the fan is dead

I don't have an adapter unfortunately but I聽tried the fan in another PC and it was totally unresponsive. Definitely DOA. I'm currently in talks with Noctua about a warranty replacement and they've been excellent so far.

UPDATE

Warranty replacement arrived today and works perfectly! Noctua have been amazing with their customer service sending out a replacement in just a couple of days!

Original problem discovered (MAYBE?)

Upon disassembly of the original fan, one if the pins that connects one of the stator poles of the motor to the PCB has聽a faulty connection. There is a chance that this could have happened on disassembly but it's unlikely given the nature of the fault. That said, the overall build quality of the fan is exceptional!

This is just in case anyone was as curious as I was.