Computer Stuttering/lagging

eric_s

Hey everyone, I'm having some issues with my new laptop and am looking for some advice. Here's some more information.

So I just got a new 2020 HP Omen laptop which has the Ryzen 4800H, a 1660 TI, initially 8gbs of ram (now 32gbs) and a 512gb ssd. The ram I upgraded to was 2 (16gbs each) crucial 3200 mhz, cl22, single rank, 1.2v sticks.

Ever since i upgraded the ram, it works great for the most part, but every once in a while when I'm using onenote, zoom, etc. (Productivity based applications) it will slow down to almost a crawl and the audio goes glitchy. It has also stopped entirely and the screen turned to almost an old tv like static which leads to me having to restart it. I did a ton of research on the ram because I know how picky Ryzen processors are but did I miss something? Could this have to do with the clock?

Thanks in advanced!

1 hour ago, eric_s said:

Hey everyone, I'm having some issues with my new laptop and am looking for some advice. Here's some more information.

So I just got a new 2020 HP Omen laptop which has the Ryzen 4800H, a 1660 TI, initially 8gbs of ram (now 32gbs) and a 512gb ssd. The ram I upgraded to was 2 (16gbs each) crucial 3200 mhz, cl22, single rank, 1.2v sticks.

Ever since i upgraded the ram, it works great for the most part, but every once in a while when I'm using onenote, zoom, etc. (Productivity based applications) it will slow down to almost a crawl and the audio goes glitchy. It has also stopped entirely and the screen turned to almost an old tv like static which leads to me having to restart it. I did a ton of research on the ram because I know how picky Ryzen processors are but did I miss something? Could this have to do with the clock?

Thanks in advanced!

In my opinion, not enough power to draw on. Most laptop comes with default of balanced power. Go into your power settings and turn it on for performance setting to allow your laptop the power it needs to run those applications. You might need to also plug in the laptop more constantly as it will drain more battery life.

Instead of the performance mode in setting you should set it to ultimate mode (it's a high power draw mode ). You can see how to do it here https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/04/20/enable-ultimate-performance-mode-in-windows-10/#:~:text=Open Settings and navigate to,%2C select 'Ultimate Performance'.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

10 hours ago, c00face said:

In my opinion, not enough power to draw on. Most laptop comes with default of balanced power. Go into your power settings and turn it on for performance setting to allow your laptop the power it needs to run those applications. You might need to also plug in the laptop more constantly as it will drain more battery life.

I turned on the ultimate performance mode so hopefully that'll do the trick. I'll let you know if I still have the problem.

Thanks!