8-pin CPU cord trouble. Plz help me

I’ve been building my pc for over a month and now I have it finally complete. Well almost. Everything works correctly just when I plug in the 8-pin cpu cord, I can hear the click coming from my psu just nothing turns on.
Mobo- MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Processor- Ryder 5 2600
PSU- Corsair RM 850x 
Graphics- MSI GeForce GTX
Storage-inland 450 gb 

I have looked online but did find switching out your mobo and psu. So I did that and I still had the same problem. I switched them to the list I gave you. Also when I turn it on without the CPU cord plugged in there is a red light on the mobo right next to text that says CPU. Can somebody please help me?

2 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

I can hear the click coming from my psu just nothing turns on.

Usually that means something in the system is electrically shorting and the PSU is protecting your system. Make sure you have your motherboard standoffs installed correctly, you are using the correct 8pin power cable cable (it should be marked either CPU or EPS, as well as being a 4+4 pin connector instead of a 6+2 pin connector), and that all power cables are all the way plugged in.

31 minutes ago, The_russian said:

being a 4+4 pin connector instead of a 6+2 pin connector

just wanted to highlight this because it’s a relatively common mistake

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

Usually that means something in the system is electrically shorting and the PSU is protecting your system. Make sure you have your motherboard standoffs installed correctly, you are using the correct 8pin power cable cable (it should be marked either CPU or EPS, as well as being a 4+4 pin connector instead of a 6+2 pin connector), and that all power cables are all the way plugged in.

I have checked over 10 times and made sure that the wire said CPU and not GPU or anything else 

1 minute ago, Sans54 said:

I have checked over 10 times and made sure that the wire said CPU and not GPU or anything else 

If you haven't done so already do a barebones build of the system outside of the case with only the necessary parts, basically just the cpu, motherboard, ram, cpu cooler, and PSU. 

15 hours ago, The_russian said:

If you haven't done so already do a barebones build of the system outside of the case with only the necessary parts, basically just the cpu, motherboard, ram, cpu cooler, and PSU. 

I haven’t done it yet but let’s say it works fine. What would that mean exactly I would have to do. Would I need new screws, new tower, sum else?

15 hours ago, The_russian said:

I got it to work but on the mobo it still says it’s missing a CPU. Cuz there’s it still a red light by the words CPU 

24 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

I got it to work

It turns on outside of the case? That means something was probably getting shorted. Like I mentioned earlier make sure you have all the motherboard stand-offs installed, they are in the correct locations, and there are no extra ones installed. 

26 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

but on the mobo it still says it’s missing a CPU. Cuz there’s it still a red light by the words CPU 

Try to reseat the cpu and ram, if it still shows the CPU light after that maybe someone else has some suggestions.

You mean reseat as in take the plug out and put it back it or did you mean reset and it just auto corrected 

On 3/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, The_russian said:

It turns on outside of the case? That means something was probably getting shorted. Like I mentioned earlier make sure you have all the motherboard stand-offs installed, they are in the correct locations, and there are no extra ones installed. 

Try to reseat the cpu and ram, if it still shows the CPU light after that maybe someone else has some suggestions.

You mean reseat as in take the plug out and put it back it or did you mean reset and it just auto corrected 

8 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

You mean reseat as in take the plug out and put it back it or did you mean reset and it just auto corrected 

I meant reseat as in take the CPU out of the socket and ram out of the slots, then reinstall them, though I forgot you said you got a different motherboard so you basically already did that. Did you try setting everything up outside of the case?

23 hours ago, The_russian said:

I meant reseat as in take the CPU out of the socket and ram out of the slots, then reinstall them, though I forgot you said you got a different motherboard so you basically already did that. Did you try setting everything up outside of the case?

Everything is plugged in outside the case and I have the cpu cord in and everything is working but there is still the red light saying there is no cpu. Is it possible that my mobo and cpu aren’t compatible. 

4 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

Everything is plugged in outside the case and I have the cpu cord in and everything is working but there is still the red light saying there is no cpu. Is it possible that my mobo and cpu aren’t compatible. 

your parts seem compatible 

also try clearing the cmos (remove battery or short the clear cmos pins with a screwdriver or other metal object  

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:18 PM, Ben17 said:

your parts seem compatible 

also try clearing the cmos (remove battery or short the clear cmos pins with a screwdriver or other metal object  

That didn’t work. Is it possible that my cmos is dead and need a new one.

2 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

That didn’t work. Is it possible that my cmos is dead and need a new one.

Can you post a picture of the motherboard? So that we can see as many connectors as possible? Might be easier to spot something than to try to go one by one on connectors.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

21 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Can you post a picture of the motherboard? So that we can see as many connectors as possible? Might be easier to spot something than to try to go one by one on connectors.

Heads up I’m not the most organized when it comes to wires so if u need me to tell what wire is which I’ll label each. 

4CEF57D9-E177-4F8E-A9F4-8CEF30BAD5E8.jpeg

I can't see your front panelnel connectors, but this seems like a weird cable for it. Your RAM isn't in dual channel (won't keep the pc from booting) they should be in the second and fourth slot from the cpu. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:12 PM, Sans54 said:

red light saying there is no cpu

Where is this on your motherboard? I couldn't find it in your manual. I might have just missed it. What are the markings on the 8 pin cable? If you separate the two halves of that cable is it 4+4 or 6+2?

Spoiler

image.png.f36da6c4dc314a95641a605573b264db.png

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

19 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I can't see your front panelnel connectors, but this seems like a weird cable for it. Your RAM isn't in dual channel (won't keep the pc from booting) they should be in the second and fourth slot from the cpu. 

Where is this on your motherboard? I couldn't find it in your manual. I might have just missed it. What are the markings on the 8 pin cable? If you separate the two halves of that cable is it 4+4 or 6+2?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f36da6c4dc314a95641a605573b264db.png

I don’t think mine has the writing on it. I’ve looked at every inch on this wire. I just can’t find it. But it splits into 4+4. 
Update: i think I found it. It’s on the clip. On the left 4 it says backwards R with a U attached to to the straight side. Then 12 and then HYM. On the right one it’s the same it’s just the 12 is a 16

28 minutes ago, Sans54 said:

But it splits into 4+4. 

4+4 is the correct cable for there. I just wanted to confirm that it's what you're using. 

Dumb question. You said you had a CPU led that was red. Is it up by the 8 pin connector?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

4+4 is the correct cable for there. I just wanted to confirm that it's what you're using. 

Dumb question. You said you had a CPU led that was red. Is it up by the 8 pin connector?

There is a light there but it only goes on when I click the Flash BIOS button on the side. The light I was referring to is just above the 18 pin. If you zoom in at the top left corner of the 18 pin cord, you'll see a white square with a darker square on top. Thats the light I'm talking about

5 hours ago, Sans54 said:

There is a light there but it only goes on when I click the Flash BIOS button on the side. The light I was referring to is just above the 18 pin. If you zoom in at the top left corner of the 18 pin cord, you'll see a white square with a darker square on top. Thats the light I'm talking about

Give this a go.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 hours ago, Sans54 said:

Heads up I’m not the most organized when it comes to wires so if u need me to tell what wire is which I’ll label each. 

4CEF57D9-E177-4F8E-A9F4-8CEF30BAD5E8.jpeg

Did you use 9 spacers between case and motherboard?

My PSU works just fine. I can hear the fan going in it.