I pray to the PC gods and you users for deep insight into a large miserable world. Ryzen USB input lag and inconsistency related.

TLDR at the bottom

I’ll spare you most of the details. Reddit has been very little to zero help. Google is sparse but there is enough info there to get me started. There is nothing all in one place. 

I play rocket league and there is a “myth” about something called “heavy car bug”. It’s basically just describing input lag. It’s 100% real and I can pretty much reproduce it if I want. There is a lot to speak about but as I said, I’ll spare you details.

There is a YT channel by a Reddit user  called halfwaydead. He is a really great hardworking guy who has made it his mission to delved into the science of the game. He recently put out a video related to controllers and which ones have the lowest input lag etc. 

he de-listed the video after a week though because there were some anomalies with the DS4 controller that he couldn’t figure out. He then did some of the tests on his friends PC, and the testing was fine. They figured out that certain USB ports on Ryzen motherboards go straight to the CPU, but other ones are routed through some mobo chipset controller. And it adds lag and problems. MSI actually showed up in his comments section and acknowledged it and said they are working on it. Legends for doing so. 

I have an ASRock X470 board and cannot find out what ports of mine might be messed up like his. But, my controller actually feels good where I have it now so I’m not messing with it. 

all this has lead me to random tech sites, and Reddit. Reading things about HPET, system timers, Bus sharing, latencymon, Nvidia driver conflicts blah blah blah. It’sa list as long as.... you know. 

The main thing I’ve seen is this. Ryzen CPUs handle USB differently than Intel CPUs? And that Ryzen CPU mixed with Nvidia GPU is a bad combination? I don’t know enough about computers to know if that’s correct, it’s just what I’ve seen. It’s why I’m here. 

Apparently  some music producers are aware of Ryzen latency problems? 

Basically I get inconsistent performance from the game. Some days IT FEELS SO DAMN GOOD!!!!! Teammates compliment me, want to party up with me, we go on big win streaks, I win the ball all the time and score outlandish angle shots etc. 

Other days it’s like my car has chains on it. Slow, can’t move fluid, teammates hate me etc. 

there is a controller overclock program some of us use, I’m sure you guys know about it. Well sometimes my controller will accept the OC perfectly fine, but other says it won’t. Some USB ports work one day, but then they won’t work the next day. 

there is a huge ghost in my machine and no one believes me, very few. They all just say “Get gud”. 

I have 2k+ hours in the game. I know what it feels like between good and bad boot ups. On bad boots, I cannot win. Using the same strategies I would use on winning days. I just can’t get to the ball fast enough, can’t turn tight enough, can’t kill the opponent when I normally would etc. 

Ive tried the controller WITHOUT Ds4 windows software and it’s dog water. DS4 windows makes everything a lot better. But there’s still inconsistencies somewhere. 

Ive tried so many things I won’t list more. Tons of stuff. I just haven’t played on an Intel CPU lmao. Also have not tried Xbox controller. Only DS4. 

Some one said “I think Microsoft sends out updates that fuck up any non Xbox controllers from time to time!” Lol, that’s a bit too far to me. But I get their feelings. 

TLDR: Does Ryzen really have an input lag/USB/Nvidia/Ds4 problem ? 

My suggestion?

Get a really nice USB 3.0 PCIe card that has its own chipset in it, so it does all of the computations etc on the card itself, and see if that solves anything

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

39 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

My suggestion?

Get a really nice USB 3.0 PCIe card that has its own chipset in it, so it does all of the computations etc on the card itself, and see if that solves anything

Ok I can try that. Since I don’t know enough about it, does it somehow bypass the CPU nonsense? I don’t know enough about how PCs work to know if the CPU still has to be involved. 

37 minutes ago, RocketRager said:

Ok I can try that. Since I don’t know enough about it, does it somehow bypass the CPU nonsense? I don’t know enough about how PCs work to know if the CPU still has to be involved. 

On topic of how everything is connected i am sure you've seen one of this diagrams.

It explains pretty much everything. x470 is slightly different in a sense that it does not have pci-e 4.0 etc, but general idea is the same.

And here is intel side of things.

In short intel so far left all low-speed peripherals out of cpu in PCH while AMD is moving more towards SOC design.

However this CPU<=>PCH link is fast enough and has low enough latency that even stuff like nvme ssd does not show significant difference when connected through PCH or directly to cpu pci-e controller. There is absolutely no way you are going to notice it with usb devices.

If problem you are describing exists it is simply hardware/firmware/software flaw on AMD side and is not in any way related to what is connected where. PCH and CPU usb controllers are separate though, so they might be somehow different too...

Any pci-e usb card you'll use will be connected to PCH, but as i said - it does not matter. It will be completely different controller with different drivers etc. So if AMD one is somehow flawed it will help.

1 hour ago, RocketRager said:

Basically I get inconsistent performance from the game. Some days IT FEELS SO DAMN GOOD!!!!! Teammates compliment me, want to party up with me, we go on big win streaks, I win the ball all the time and score outlandish angle shots etc. 

Other days it’s like my car has chains on it. Slow, can’t move fluid, teammates hate me etc. 

This sounds perfectly normal to me. Part of being human 🙂

Not sure it has anything to so with hardware.

33 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

On topic of how everything is connected i am sure you've seen one of this diagrams.

It explains pretty much everything. x470 is slightly different in a sense that it does not have pci-e 4.0 etc, but general idea is the same.

And here is intel side of things.

In short intel so far left all low-speed peripherals out of cpu in PCH while AMD is moving more towards SOC design.

However this CPU<=>PCH link is fast enough and has low enough latency that even stuff like nvme ssd does not show significant difference when connected through PCH or directly to cpu pci-e controller. There is absolutely no way you are going to notice it with usb devices.

If problem you are describing exists it is simply hardware/firmware/software flaw on AMD side and is not in any way related to what is connected where. PCH and CPU usb controllers are separate though, so they might be somehow different too...

Any pci-e usb card you'll use will be connected to PCH, but as i said - it does not matter. It will be completely different controller with different drivers etc. So if AMD one is somehow flawed it will help.

This sounds perfectly normal to me. Part of being human 🙂

Not sure it has anything to so with hardware.

Thanks for the input and I’ll check into getting a card. 

Regarding your final comment. That’s what anyone who doesn’t have much experience with this game, and who has never dealt with the heavy car bug WOULD say 😉 

Some  systems just work together fine and other don’t. 

With  the nearly infinite possible combinations of hardware, manufacturers, drivers, software, brands, controllers, joystick amplitudes, operating systems, power supply qualities, internet connections  and blah blah blah the list goes on....

How can we all be sure we’re getting the same experience in game? There’s no way we all are. 

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm having basically the same problem

Try this:

1.start the game and don't touch your mouse and kb at all while playing. move the mouse away right after you start the game and try to move the cursor in the upper right side of the screen; if you have a keyboard lock use it (basically no keys work until you unclock it not sure how its called). First time go in settings in switch back and forth your controller sensitivity aerial etc

2.Start steam without all the nonsense, browser, overlay etc. Create this shortcut and start steam from it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist

This is the url that suggested how to get rid of the steam memory usage:https://www.howtogeek.com/694531/how-to-reduce-steams-ram-usage-from-400-mb-to-60-mb/

Let me know how this goes, I did these 2 today (first one i run into a post today of someone claiming they reported this bug and they think this is what makes the game feel inconsistent ) and I had a few good tournaments where I did not perceive the sluggish feeling at all, I now actually feel the car is a bit slower but more consistent and responds quicker

Hi @RocketRager! Have you got the new PCIe card and tested it? I'm facing the same problem from months and I never found the right answere BUT this post maybe can save me from my inconsistency! Let me know bro! BTW, I use a PS5 DualSense controller and is plugged by usb on a B450 MSI Tomahawk by usb type-c/type-c Cable. Bye :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, Gin Hirokami said:

Hi @RocketRager! Have you got the new PCIe card and tested it? I'm facing the same problem from months and I never found the right answere BUT this post maybe can save me from my inconsistency! Let me know bro! BTW, I use a PS5 DualSense controller and is plugged by usb on a B450 MSI Tomahawk by usb type-c/type-c Cable. Bye 🙂

@RocketRager Bro any news?