A long shot, anyone use the Arch-based Distro Garuda Linux?

I have a spare system and I wanted to try out something non-Debian based (which is my normal go-to distro) and these guys popped up as being geared towards gaming.

Sounds good, I'll give it a swing. It's very pretty and installs very nicely, but installs by default the Open Source nVidia drivers, which (IME anyway) have major issues with Steam and Proton.

In the system settings section of Garuda, it offers to install the proprietary drivers instead with the click of a mouse.

Cool, I'll do that (under Ubuntu, this isn't a problem and is also a one click and done thing) but the installer throws an error "python-pyxdg and python-xdg are in conflict" and fails.

A google search actually returns zero results, so I"m assuming it's something specific to Garuda and that's irritating.

Their app store lists the nVidia drivers (I'm using a GTX 1060 3GB) and they will install without obvious error, other than stating the system needs to be rebooted to take effect. Upon rebooting, the OS locks at the loading OS stage.

Any ideas other than use a different distro? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I wouldn't use Garuda, if you want something Arch-based without the relatively complex install I'd use Manjaro.

I'm not sure what Garuda is doing (or claims to have done) to make their distro "geared towards gamers" but considering that their OS seems to just be a prepackaged and skinned Arch install they're probably just bundling in Steam and Wine and calling it a day.

EDIT: If you insist on using Garuda, disable quiet boot and see if it spits out any errors when it locks up while loading.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you want arch based i suggest either manjaro or Arch itself other distros are not well polished

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

sudo pacman -R python-xdg

Should resolve that.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

sudo pacman -R python-xdg

Should resolve that.

Yeah tried that, failed with some kind of dependency-hell issues.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you insist on using Garuda

Not at all, hardly wedded to it, was just poking around to see what was out there and the UI really caught my eye.

4 minutes ago, mahyar said:

manjaro

That seems to be the big one (like Ubuntu is for Debian) in the Arch world, but I wasn't all that thrilled with it, no matter, I was just kicking the tires in the non-Debian world.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not at all, hardly wedded to it, was just poking around to see what was out there and the UI really caught my eye.

I would use Manjar....wait

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

but I wasn't all that thrilled with it

Why not? Just curious. Possibly fixable with normal Arch install (or just tweaking Manjaro).

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I would use Manjar....wait

Why not? Just curious. Possibly fixable with normal Arch install (or just tweaking Manjaro).

Probably because I was used to the way things worked in Ubuntu-land, and there were some applications (indicator-multiload, psensor just to name two) that I had great difficulty either installing under Arch, or issues finding a work-alike

Arch/Manjaro, to me, really required much more command line effort than I liked. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Probably because I was used to the way things worked in Ubuntu-land, and there were some applications (indicator-multiload, psensor just to name two) that I had great difficulty either installing under Arch, or issues finding a work-alike

I believe there are KDE widgets that can do this.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Arch/Manjaro, to me, really required much more command line effort than I liked. 

Arch for sure, Manjaro, in my experience, used CLI about as much as Ubuntu did.

I would give Manjaro KDE a shot. The first time configuring KDE is a little overwhelming but man is it satisfying to spend half an hour tweaking to get a perfect DE config.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I believe there are KDE widgets that can do this.

Arch for sure, Manjaro, in my experience, used CLI about as much as Ubuntu did.

I would give Manjaro KDE a shot. The first time configuring KDE is a little overwhelming but man is it satisfying to spend half an hour tweaking to get a perfect DE config.

Worth looking in to, I've been dissatisfied with the direction (mainly the UI) that Ubuntu has gone as of late, which is why I was looking about to other options.

Voyager Linux (again, Ubuntu-based) really understood the concept of beautiful AND didn't feel the need to slavishly ape everything in the Windows 10 UI

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Worth looking in to, I've been dissatisfied with the direction (mainly the UI) that Ubuntu has gone as of late, which is why I was looking about to other options.

Voyager Linux (again, Ubuntu-based) really understood the concept of beautiful AND didn't feel the need to slavishly ape everything in the Windows 10 UI

Agreed, I've never been a fan of Ubuntu or anything Ubuntu-based. I've found it never worked well with my hardware and I hate apt.

So yeah, I'd give Manjaro KDE a shot and spend some time configuring your DE and getting it to a point you're happy with.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

10 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I wouldn't use Garuda, if you want something Arch-based without the relatively complex install I'd use Manjaro.

I'm not sure what Garuda is doing (or claims to have done) to make their distro "geared towards gamers" but considering that their OS seems to just be a prepackaged and skinned Arch install they're probably just bundling in Steam and Wine and calling it a day.

EDIT: If you insist on using Garuda, disable quiet boot and see if it spits out any errors when it locks up while loading.

They are using TKG PKGBUILDS builds from the Chaotic AUR , Shipping anything that hints at gaming, and implementing pretty much every performance tweak they can dig up off the Arch Wiki. Really it's just a bloated mess with a team that doesnt seem to really know what they are doing, I personally don't recommend it.

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Their app store lists the nVidia drivers (I'm using a GTX 1060 3GB) and they will install without obvious error, other than stating the system needs to be rebooted to take effect. Upon rebooting, the OS locks at the loading OS stage.

Could be the NVIDIA driver its pulling in, Garuda uses the TKG BMQ Kernel which needs TKG's patched NVIDIA Module.

If you're going to use one kernel from this repository with NVIDIA drivers, you'd better not use official Nvidia drivers packages. And instead, use chaotic-aur ones (chaotic-nvidia{,-dev}-dkms-tkg). These packages are built with patches to support all kernels available in chaotic-aur and the ArchLinux's official repositories.

https://aur.chaotic.cx/

https://github.com/chaotic-aur/nvidia-tkg

Could also be Wayland compatibility issues with KDE and NVIDIA, I however dont think SDDM runs on Wayland so if you dont have autologin enabled it should load up to this point to select a X session.

10 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Really it's just a bloated mess with a team that doesnt seem to really know what they are doing,

I kind of noticed that digging through their forums.

Oh well.

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I have a spare system and I wanted to try out something non-Debian based (which is my normal go-to distro) and these guys popped up as being geared towards gaming.

Sounds good, I'll give it a swing. It's very pretty and installs very nicely, but installs by default the Open Source nVidia drivers, which (IME anyway) have major issues with Steam and Proton.

In the system settings section of Garuda, it offers to install the proprietary drivers instead with the click of a mouse.

Cool, I'll do that (under Ubuntu, this isn't a problem and is also a one click and done thing) but the installer throws an error "python-pyxdg and python-xdg are in conflict" and fails.

A google search actually returns zero results, so I"m assuming it's something specific to Garuda and that's irritating.

Any ideas other than use a different distro? 

Don't go Garuda if you're coming straight from Debian, Garuda is the Ubuntu or Mint of the Arch family, meaning it looks simple, however unlike all Deb distros, it's still Arch underneath, it's relatively easy to setup as a main easiest Arch setup I've done, just be careful, or you're gonna be using timeshift & reinstalling like I did a lot, as the upkeep has a learning curve, keep away from AUR and/or Community anything, software, drivers etc, and stick to Official repositories, as far as drivers go, Go official, and install the NVidia control center program, and if you're gaming keep it on an Internal drive. I use it as my only OS it replaced Windows, as when everything is right, there's not a better OS out there, Windows, Linux or Mac, but when its messed up, you're gonna be ripping your hair out. Also during setup, when it gives you options for post Install programs, pick the bare minimum, and if you're Gnome only pick those programs, if youre Dra60nized, stick to KDE/Plasma etc, Because it's Pacman it has all Arch Distros programs at it's disposal, not just Garuda, and not all are install and go programs if compatible at all with Garuda's setup.