Problems with my RTX 3070. Constant crashing and instability.

spiderkitty72
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

You've now got both a PCIe Gen4 capable mobo and GPU, so they'll try to run at that speed but the riser likely degrades the signal too much, there aren't really many that are properly rated for 4.0 at the moment.

So go in the BIOS and manually limit the slot to PCIe Gen3.

I built my system middle of 2020

Thermal Take Core P3 case

ASUS Prime x570 Pro Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900xt

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 2x8GB 3600MHz

2ea Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280

MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R - AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

I am using a PCIe riser cable

Was waiting for the nVidia 30 series to come out so I use my old GTX 1060 3G until I could get a new one.

System worked fine

Purchased an MSI GTX 3070 Gaming X Trio on Jan 30th 

Now with it the 3070 in first PCIe slot half the time it wont boot with the white VGA light on.  When it does boot it takes about 4 min to boot into windows and is sluggish and slow.  Heaven benchmark I get 18FPS on basic preset with the GPU at 98% in task manager.  

If I switch to the 2nd PCIe slot it runs at 8x but it boots every time and runs fast in games but crashes within minutes.  Heaven benchmark is 350+FPS on average (basic preset).  

I have tried updating BIOS, running memtest, checking NVMe self test in BIOS, DDU nvidia driver, completely wipe and reinstall windows and now I don't know what I should try next.  I can put the 3070 in my brothers system he has an identical card as mine but that will take time and I'm curious if this may have something to do with compatability between by motherboard and the 3070.

Any help would be appreciated. 

You've now got both a PCIe Gen4 capable mobo and GPU, so they'll try to run at that speed but the riser likely degrades the signal too much, there aren't really many that are properly rated for 4.0 at the moment.

So go in the BIOS and manually limit the slot to PCIe Gen3.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

That made a huge difference.  Boots instantly in both slots.  Even faster than before when playing doom eternal.

Only thing left to do is game a bunch and check stability.

Thanks!