Looking for wide angle lens for streaming with both my canon m50 and m200

I stream on youtube/twitch using my Canon m50 and m200.  One is my face cam and one is for sideview of the whole room. 

So far , I have been using kit lens but want to upgrade to have a wide angle view of the room. 

I know that prime lens saves you some money and since I won't be zooming in and out it makes sense. I do move around a lot so having autofocus is a must.

I am looking for recommendations for lenses for that wide angle view of the room while I am dancing or moving about. So far in my research, I've read that

EF lenses are preferable to M lens. So I am thinking that an EF lens with a viltrax speed booster is where I should be looking at.  I would like any opinions

on that and lens recommendations.

As for my face cam, I have been thinking that the Canon 50mm 1.8f  would be great for the nice bokeh and narrow fov. And would I need speed boosters for

both cameras?

2 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

As for my face cam, I have been thinking that the Canon 50mm 1.8f  would be great for the nice bokeh and narrow fov. And would I need speed boosters for

both cameras?

Yup those will work well. Id be tempted ot just get a 35mm, basically 50mm on aspc for the face cam. Probalby cheaper as you don't have to get the speed booster.

For the wide angle lens, I really like the canon 10-18. Super wide, fairly sharp and pretty little distortion. Speed booster won't work as its a efs lens.

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup those will work well. Id be tempted ot just get a 35mm, basically 50mm on aspc for the face cam. Probalby cheaper as you don't have to get the speed booster.

For the wide angle lens, I really like the canon 10-18. Super wide, fairly sharp and pretty little distortion. Speed booster won't work as its a efs lens.

The 10-18 mm doesn't seem like a good fit for me. The aperture only goes down to 4.5 so won't do that well in low light. Also does it have auto focus? Im thinking a prime lens would be more cost effective because of no zoom feature. I would use it at the widest setting anyway and not need to zoom.

3 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

The 10-18 mm doesn't seem like a good fit for me. The aperture only goes down to 4.5 so won't do that well in low light. Also does it have auto focus? Im thinking a prime lens would be more cost effective because of no zoom feature. I would use it at the widest setting anyway and not need to zoom.

the 10-18(and basically all other lenses support auto focus. The 10-18 has a the stm motor, so af is basically silent. But on a lens that wide, focus almost doesn't matter, as almost everything is in focus unless its super close).

There really aren't many other good ulta wide options. There are some l lenses, but there all over a grand. Id probalby go 10-18 here. 

On 2/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

the 10-18(and basically all other lenses support auto focus. The 10-18 has a the stm motor, so af is basically silent. But on a lens that wide, focus almost doesn't matter, as almost everything is in focus unless its super close).

There really aren't many other good ulta wide options. There are some l lenses, but there all over a grand. Id probalby go 10-18 here. 

So I will still need a efs to m adaptor to use this right? Why does the aperture only go down to 4.5 even though the focal length goes down to 10mm?

Just now, chimneycakes said:

So I will still need a efs to m adaptor to use this right? Why does the aperture only go down to 4.5 even though the focal length goes down to 10mm?

yup, a efs to m adapter will be needed

Normally super wide lenses arn't very fast.

Maybe something like the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 would be a good pick here. 

There really aren't many good primes here, unless you want to pay for l lenses. Id get lenses made for aps-c for super wide on a cropped sensor.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yup, a efs to m adapter will be needed

Normally super wide lenses arn't very fast.

Maybe something like the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 would be a good pick here. 

There really aren't many good primes here, unless you want to pay for l lenses. Id get lenses made for aps-c for super wide on a cropped sensor.

what are I lenses and are they expensive? I guess yeah you will be right about this lens. Just want to cover all the options. Don't want to pay too much for lens. How does it compare to the Ef-M 11-22? and why is that one more expensive? And also how does it compare to the Rokinon 12mm? Which of these 3 would be best for me? 

48 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

what are I lenses and are they expensive? I guess yeah you will be right about this lens. Just want to cover all the options. Don't want to pay too much for lens. How does it compare to the Ef-M 11-22? and why is that one more expensive? And also how does it compare to the Rokinon 12mm? Which of these 3 would be best for me? 

L lenses are canon's high end lenses. Normally $1000 or above. 

Ive never used the ef-m 11-22, no idea why the price is different.

Rokinon 12mm is a lot faster, likely due to it being a mirrorless camera lens, not for dslrs, allowing for better lenses to be made.

Also just saying, 12mm is super wide on asp-c. just check that your view you want will look ok. I can give some saming shots from my 10-18 if you want.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

L lenses are canon's high end lenses. Normally $1000 or above. 

Ive never used the ef-m 11-22, no idea why the price is different.

Rokinon 12mm is a lot faster, likely due to it being a mirrorless camera lens, not for dslrs, allowing for better lenses to be made.

Also just saying, 12mm is super wide on asp-c. just check that your view you want will look ok. I can give some saming shots from my 10-18 if you want.

I have 15 on my kit lens but looking for much more wide angle so I can bring viewers into my whole room. You have 10-18 on ff? 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Another question is. Can I buy a manual focus lens and since the body of my m50 and m200 have autofocus? Will it still focus on me when I am moving around? Or do you have to buy a lens with autofocus in it?

11 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

I have 15 on my kit lens but looking for much more wide angle so I can bring viewers into my whole room. You have 10-18 on ff? 

I have a 10-18 on a aps-c 7d. THe 10-18 is for aps-c cameras only.

7 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

Another question is. Can I buy a manual focus lens and since the body of my m50 and m200 have autofocus? Will it still focus on me when I am moving around? Or do you have to buy a lens with autofocus in it?

A manual focus lens will work fine, but just won't be able to auto focus. But with a 10mm lens, you won't need to focus anyways, as the depth of feild is super deep.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have a 10-18 on a aps-c 7d. THe 10-18 is for aps-c cameras only.

A manual focus lens will work fine, but just won't be able to auto focus. But with a 10mm lens, you won't need to focus anyways, as the depth of feild is super deep.

I just found this lens TTArtisan 50mm f/1.2 Lens for Canon EF-M but it doesn't have autofocus. So I  was just wondering if it will autofocus anyway because the camera body has it. It seems like it has good reviews and it's cheap but maybe not the right one for me. I will use it for a facecam but if I happen to move , I dont want it to lose focus

SO wide angle lens don't have autofocus or use them ? Wow didnt know that. Thank you btw. 😘

1 minute ago, chimneycakes said:

I just found this lens TTArtisan 50mm f/1.2 Lens for Canon EF-M but it doesn't have autofocus. So I  was just wondering if it will autofocus anyway because the camera body has it. It seems like it has good reviews and it's cheap but maybe not the right one for me. I will use it for a facecam but if I happen to move , I dont want it to lose focus

You need both the body and lens to support auto focus to have auto focus.

WIth 50mm f1.2 in video, id say you basically need autofocus as the depth of field is super narrow(if you move your head a few inches its out of focus). For cheap ish lenses the canon 50mm 1.8 is a good buy as the auto focus motor is almost silent so you don't hear the motor in the audio.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You need both the body and lens to support auto focus to have auto focus.

WIth 50mm f1.2 in video, id say you basically need autofocus as the depth of field is super narrow(if you move your head a few inches its out of focus). For cheap ish lenses the canon 50mm 1.8 is a good buy as the auto focus motor is almost silent so you don't hear the motor in the audio.

Yes that is a lens that I will probably get. Should I get the viltrax speedbooster for that lens? It's an Ef r

On 2/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

On 2/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Which lens would you recommend for the 35mm? And yeah that makes sense. Instead of 50 mm FF lens can just get 35 crop and it's the same fov , right? And you said for wide angle, autofocus doesnt matter because everything will be in focus right? But I will be using this in my room so will only be a few feet away from the camera. Will it show everything in focus when it's this close? I will also be dancing around and moving around like doing exercises. Will it stay in focus? And sometimes I'm closer to the camera when I'm sitting in my chair and other times I'm moving back into my room. ANd this wide angle lens will be at a side view.  the 50mm lens will be a front facing face cam sitting on my monitor.

1 minute ago, chimneycakes said:

Yes that is a lens that I will probably get. Should I get the viltrax speedbooster for that lens? It's an Ef r

Never used that speed booster, I know some aren't great for AF though.

What focal length are you using now for the face cam?

2 minutes ago, chimneycakes said:

Which lens would you recommend for the 35mm? And yeah that makes sense. Instead of 50 mm FF lens can just get 35 crop and it's the same fov , right? And you said for wide angle, autofocus doesnt matter because everything will be in focus right? But I will be using this in my room so will only be a few feet away from the camera. Will it show everything in focus when it's this close? I will also be dancing around and moving around like doing exercises. Will it stay in focus? And sometimes I'm closer to the camera when I'm sitting in my chair and other times I'm moving back into my room. ANd this wide angle lens will be at a side view.  the 50mm lens will be a front facing face cam sitting on my monitor.

With a 10mm lens, even in a room focus will be basically all in focus. A quick calculator shows the hyperfocal distance on that lens is about 1.2M, and a quick test seems to confirm that.  If you want to get closer than 1.2m, your gonna need af, but that lens should work fine with af on your camera.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Never used that speed booster, I know some aren't great for AF though.

What focal length are you using now for the face cam?

With a 10mm lens, even in a room focus will be basically all in focus. A quick calculator shows the hyperfocal distance on that lens is about 1.2M, and a quick test seems to confirm that.  If you want to get closer than 1.2m, your gonna need af, but that lens should work fine with af on your camera.

I wasn't using a facecam, I only had the m50 that captures me from the side. I just picked up the m200 which I will be using today for my facecam. Just waiting on the capture card to arrive from amazon. I will test the focal length today before stream. I just measured the distance and I'm a little closer than 1m but I can move the camera back . But maybe I'll just get an autofocus wide angle.

1 hour ago, chimneycakes said:

I wasn't using a facecam, I only had the m50 that captures me from the side. I just picked up the m200 which I will be using today for my facecam. Just waiting on the capture card to arrive from amazon. I will test the focal length today before stream. I just measured the distance and I'm a little closer than 1m but I can move the camera back . But maybe I'll just get an autofocus wide angle.

It try using the kit lens for a face cam first, to see how it goes, should be reasonable for that. Also find out what focal length works best, and get a prime of that focal length

AF should work fine on that 10-18 for you and other ultra wide lenses aswell. Id just leave af on and it should do face tracking to keep you in focus.