PC wont start up

AlexT92

Hi, Ive had my pc for about 4 years, Had no problems up until now. I was just browsing the web when suddenly my computer shut down and wouldn't start back up again. So i unplugged the GPU from the PSU and it started up fine with no problems. Is this a GPU issue? Once its unplugged from the PSU the Graphics card lights up and the fans are spinning so im not sure what it is. Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

So info on the pc - 

I7 4790K

EVGA Supernova 750w g2 PSU

MSI Z97 GAMING 5

Gigabyte G1 980Ti

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Have you tried plugging the GPU back in to see if it works?

Multiple times, I can boot with integrated graphics, with the GPU slotted in but not hooked up to the power supply and the GPU seems to be running the fans are spinning and its lighted up like normal, then when i turned the pc back off hook it back upto the Power supply and nothing happens, All i get is a click like it wants to boot.

If i hold the power button down a blue light flashes on the mobo

3 minutes ago, AlexT92 said:

Multiple times, I can boot with integrated graphics, with the GPU slotted in but not hooked up to the power supply and the GPU seems to be running the fans are spinning and its lighted up like normal, then when i turned the pc back off hook it back upto the Power supply and nothing happens, All i get is a click like it wants to boot.

If i hold the power button down a blue light flashes on the mobo

Have you tried changing the slot you plug into? I'd hate to declare that 980Ti dead without doing everything possible to make sure of that.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Have you tried changing the slot you plug into? I'd hate to declare that 980Ti dead without doing everything possible to make sure of that.

Tried that as well yeah, If the graphics card was dead would the fans and lights still work?

1 hour ago, AlexT92 said:

Tried that as well yeah, If the graphics card was dead would the fans and lights still work?

It can. I've got a dead GTX 550 Ti (it makes a great paperweight) that when plugged into a system, the fans spins and lights up, but I get a VGA post code and it doesn't show up in device manager if I boot with another GPU in the system. If you have a friend who can try it in their system to isolate just the card as the problem, do that so you can see if maybe one of your PSU cables is bad or something.

19 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It can. I've got a dead GTX 550 Ti (it makes a great paperweight) that when plugged into a system, the fans spins and lights up, but I get a VGA post code and it doesn't show up in device manager if I boot with another GPU in the system. If you have a friend who can try it in their system to isolate just the card as the problem, do that so you can see if maybe one of your PSU cables is bad or something.

Ok thanks for the help mate, In a sticky situation whether to build a whole new rig or just replace the GPU and PSU now, It seems in todays market right now its probably cheaper to build a new rig.

9 hours ago, AlexT92 said:

Ok thanks for the help mate, In a sticky situation whether to build a whole new rig or just replace the GPU and PSU now, It seems in todays market right now its probably cheaper to build a new rig.

It's cheaper rn to get some sort of prebuilt if you want new hardware. Either that or head on Craigslist and hope you find someone selling a machine for next to nothing (I got a x99 machine with sli 980tis for $400 a month ago). They can be found, but you have to get lucky