Fried GPU?

Nemesisgt

Hello everyone! Yesterday something happened to my GPU and as my city is in a current lockdown state, I was wondering if any of you can give me some insight if my GPU is lost or not.

So yesterday my son pulled the energy cord off my secondmonitor and it didnt come fully out, but halfway through, I pulled it out and tried to reinsert the power cord into the power outlet and somehow I misplaced it and the neutral pin went where it wasn’t supposed to go. It instantly made a big noise and both my monitors went dark. The second monitor apparently fried as it wont turn on anymore even with the power cords being replaced.  Some kind of power circuit happened as it fried my second monitor (which was the one he was watching cartoons in) but most importantly, my primary monitor also went dark so I went to the gpu to see if any damage had been done and the hdmi output connected to the gpu had turned black (fried). I connected the hdmi cable to the onboard to check if anything else was weird and it turns out everything else was ok. So the GPU is probably what got damaged aside from the monitor, i didnt know that was even possible, an electric discharge within hdmi cables. I know this has to be evaluated but considering the given information can anyone tell me if the GPU is entirely fried up? Can it be fixed? Or should I not even waste my time because its done?

try another output on your gpu. Its possible the hdmi port is the only broken part.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, Nemesisgt said:

I did try that. Nothing happened

What outputs does you card have?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

What outputs does you card have?

One hdmi one vga and 3 dpi

Try each of them and see if you get an output. other than that I would not know what to do someone else may know but sounds dead to me.

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

Try each of them and see if you get an output. other than that I would not know what to do someone else may know but sounds dead to me.

Yeah I have tried every single one of them. Thank you for trying to help though.

3 minutes ago, Nemesisgt said:

Yeah I have tried every single one of them. Thank you for trying to help though.

Maybe try changing the slot it's in on your motherboard, but otherwise I'd say it's probably dead. That's an incredibly weird way for it to die, but I guess it's possible.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Maybe try changing the slot it's in on your motherboard, but otherwise I'd say it's probably dead. That's an incredibly weird way for it to die, but I guess it's possible.

I tried to put it into my friend’s computer and nothing happened either

2 minutes ago, Nemesisgt said:

I tried to put it into my friend’s computer and nothing happened either

If you did that, then sorry to say, you're out a GPU. If it still had VGA on it, it doesn't sound like it was high end enough to be affected by the shortage, and you should be able to replace it without too much headache.

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you did that, then sorry to say, you're out a GPU. If it still had VGA on it, it doesn't sound like it was high end enough to be affected by the shortage, and you should be able to replace it without too much headache.

It just seems illogical to me that the lights on the board are still on and yet seems to be dead

1 minute ago, Nemesisgt said:

It just seems illogical to me that the lights on the board are still on and yet seems to be dead

I've seen it happen. I have a GTX 550 Ti that's dead as well, but it lights up and the fan spins. It makes sense, as the lights are controlled by chips other than the actual GPU IIRC.