GPU crashing after system switch

Random_Animator

I recently switched to a new system as an upgrade for work (and for gaming). Before the switch, my GPU hadn't had any issues the entire time I have owned it (nearly 2 years now). But since putting it in my new system, it randomly crashes when been used heavily, weather its gaming or rendering for work. 

My old system was Intel based and my new one is AMD, I've already spent some time trying to solve this myself and found someone who recommended a jayztwocents video where he used a DDU to clear all the old intel drivers from my system. At first, that seemed to do the trick, I was crash free for 3 days, but today it has started to crash again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (also I'm not super savvy on all the tech and computer terms so, plain speak as much as possible thanks)

did you re-use the OS or did a fresh install?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

re-use, all my old drives were carried over to the new system along with some new drives added

You'll need to do a fresh install.

Boot into Recovery Mode by holding Shift while pushing Restart, wait a bit, select "Reinstall Windows", select "Keep my Personal Files", and wait.

elephants

57 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

You'll need to do a fresh install.

Boot into Recovery Mode by holding Shift while pushing Restart, wait a bit, select "Reinstall Windows", select "Keep my Personal Files", and wait.

ok, i'll have to try this tomorrow, thanks

Specs please

Otherwise try the following

Update bios, never important for new amd chips as nearly everyboard will need an update to run these chips correctly
Fresh install of windows plus fully update
Install GPU drivers and avoid installing anything else till you figure your problem

10 hours ago, Useless Soveriegn said:

Specs please

Otherwise try the following

Update bios, never important for new amd chips as nearly everyboard will need an update to run these chips correctly
Fresh install of windows plus fully update
Install GPU drivers and avoid installing anything else till you figure your problem

Old specs

- Intel 5820k

- 32gb 2400 DDR4

- Asrock X99 extreme 3

- EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW 3

New specs

- AMD Ryzen 5950x

- 64gb 3600 DDR4

- Asus Strix X570-f Gaming

- EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW 3

i’ve already swept all the old drivers with a DDU and installed fresh drivers. Going to do the reinstall of windows today. Will double check if the bios also needs an update

Are the temps good?  What power supply are you using and are the connectors to the GPU and CPU good? 

1 hour ago, SGT-AMD said:

Did the computer crash after an update? (windows)

No, i had updated windows before changing systems

4 hours ago, Heliian said:

Are the temps good?  What power supply are you using and are the connectors to the GPU and CPU good? 

I have an evga supanova 850 gold plus. Temps for both gpu and cpu are good, both max out around 75-80. and yeah power cables are all fine, that was one of the first things i checked

12 hours ago, Random_Animator said:

Old specs

- Intel 5820k

- 32gb 2400 DDR4

- Asrock X99 extreme 3

- EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW 3

New specs

- AMD Ryzen 5950x

- 64gb 3600 DDR4

- Asus Strix X570-f Gaming

- EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW 3

i’ve already swept all the old drivers with a DDU and installed fresh drivers. Going to do the reinstall of windows today. Will double check if the bios also needs an update

If you havent update your bios yet it definatly needs a bios update, Your current version will run on the outta box version but its not fully support and this is whats likely causing your issues. I have small tech support buisness and my top call since xmas has been bios issue of people who bought a new rig.

10 hours ago, Random_Animator said:

No, i had updated windows before changing systems

While i think its your bios causing your issues, i would hightly recommend a fresh install of windows as it can easiesly casue you headache otherwise

I've got it all sorted now, turns out the bios update was all that was needed for me. Thanks to everyone who helped

7 hours ago, Random_Animator said:

I've got it all sorted now, turns out the bios update was all that was needed for me. Thanks to everyone who helped

Another victory in the fight against outdated software.

Would still do a fresh OS install btw

Enjoy the rig dude

So bad news, my gpu drivers are still crashing, now i'm actually out of ideas, they now are crashing even when the gpu isn't been stressed, if it is been stressed when it crashes the whole system shuts down, not BSOD, full power loss.

I'm starting to think, it might be hardware...