Gparted cant see NVME SSD

ShayOh

Hi Guys!
so this is the problem, i got NVME ssd enclosure.
out of 3 NVMEs i have, only one of the just wont show up in Gparted, and its the NVME that was on my desktop and Ubuntu stopped booting due to installing a AMD gpu drivers and so im trying to format it and reinstall Ubuntu.

when i plug the enclosure to my laptop the system does beep to let me know something was plugged in but nothing shows up in Gparted or and no folders available.

Any idea how to fix it?

thanks!

*PS there are some work files on it that i need so once the system will recognize it, i would rather not format it right away*

Do other drives in the same enclosure recognize? Does the drive recognize in other enclosures?

Can you not boot up a USB with your favorite Linux on it and use Gparted from the live USB in the machine that the NVME natively resides in?

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

Do other drives in the same enclosure recognize? Does the drive recognize in other enclosures?

Can you not boot up a USB with your favorite Linux on it and use Gparted from the live USB in the machine that the NVME natively resides in?

Yes, other drivers were recognized.
i didnt try other enclosures since i dont have others.

No, because i sold the GPU of that desktop so i cant do anything, and prefer not to open up the laptop to try it. but i did see on the support page of WD that seems like im not the only one who had one dying on him
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-blue-500gb-ssd-not-showing-up/222889

Boot the laptop into Ubuntu. DON'T plug the drive in just yet. Open a terminal, then enter the following command:

sudo su <enter> #provide your password on request

This gives you persistent root permissions. Now, plug in the NVMe enclosure and wait for the confirmation it's recognised. (the beep 😛 ) Then issue the next command in the terminal:

dmesg | tail #copy/paste from here directly

It'll spit out 10 lines of messages, amongst which a few will relate to the NVMe drive you've just plugged in. look for the lines containing /dev/nvme. It'll be a bit longer, so copy the entire section, like nvme0n1p1. (numbers may change, depending on your partitioning of the drive)

Assuming there's only one device descriptor (the nvme0n1p1 part), issue the following command, still as root

fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1  #depending on the size of your drive, this may take a while

Alternatively, replace nvme0n1p1 with nvme*, the * is a so-called wildcard, to cover everything.

If it fails, post the exact error message in this thread. (copy/paste is the easiest way, use the code tags in your reply)

Again, assuming it succeeds, the last commands are:

umount /dev/nvme*
exit

Close the terminal, take out and re-insert the NVMe enclosure, then try to access it.

Report back on what exactly you did when it doesn't work.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

3 hours ago, ShayOh said:

Yes, other drivers were recognized.
i didnt try other enclosures since i dont have others.

No, because i sold the GPU of that desktop so i cant do anything, and prefer not to open up the laptop to try it. but i did see on the support page of WD that seems like im not the only one who had one dying on him
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-blue-500gb-ssd-not-showing-up/222889

Ah. Well that's a tricky pickle. I don't know if your PC will finish booting without a GPU installed but if it will you could boot up a live linux without a monitor and ssh into the computer and run the commands remotely, much less fun that way...though I suspect the board won't finish posting without a GPU. I keep some really old PCIe graphics cards around just for trouble shooting, you can pickup an old AMD R5 240 for $20 or less with shipping included on ebay. They're good for basic display out with DVI, can do VGA with an adapter, HDMI with an adapter, and I believe have DisplayPort as well AND have working drivers in both Linux and Windows 7/10. They'll all pretty much come with a 1/2 height adapter but you can just bend the top flat and shove it in a regular chassis for temp use. Sometimes you can find them with a full height bracket.

3 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Boot the laptop into Ubuntu. DON'T plug the drive in just yet. Open a terminal, then enter the following command:

sudo su <enter> #provide your password on request

This gives you persistent root permissions. Now, plug in the NVMe enclosure and wait for the confirmation it's recognised. (the beep 😛 ) Then issue the next command in the terminal:

dmesg | tail #copy/paste from here directly

It'll spit out 10 lines of messages, amongst which a few will relate to the NVMe drive you've just plugged in. look for the lines containing /dev/nvme. It'll be a bit longer, so copy the entire section, like nvme0n1p1. (numbers may change, depending on your partitioning of the drive)

Assuming there's only one device descriptor (the nvme0n1p1 part), issue the following command, still as root

fsck /dev/nvme0n1p1  #depending on the size of your drive, this may take a while

Alternatively, replace nvme0n1p1 with nvme*, the * is a so-called wildcard, to cover everything.

If it fails, post the exact error message in this thread. (copy/paste is the easiest way, use the code tags in your reply)

Again, assuming it succeeds, the last commands are:

umount /dev/nvme*
exit

Close the terminal, take out and re-insert the NVMe enclosure, then try to access it.

Report back on what exactly you did when it doesn't work.

for dmesg | tail i get:

[12582.480609] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Unit Not Ready
[12582.480614] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.480619] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.481037] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[12582.481039] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.481044] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.481385] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[12582.481387] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.481391] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.482750] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

what is interesting though is when i unplug the NVME enclosure and run the command i get this:

[12582.480614] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.480619] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.481037] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[12582.481039] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.481044] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.481385] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[12582.481387] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[12582.481391] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] ASC=0x44 <<vendor>>ASCQ=0x81
[12582.482750] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[12666.908446] usb 2-2: USB disconnect, device number 3

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Ah. Well that's a tricky pickle. I don't know if your PC will finish booting without a GPU installed but if it will you could boot up a live linux without a monitor and ssh into the computer and run the commands remotely, much less fun that way...though I suspect the board won't finish posting without a GPU. I keep some really old PCIe graphics cards around just for trouble shooting, you can pickup an old AMD R5 240 for $20 or less with shipping included on ebay. They're good for basic display out with DVI, can do VGA with an adapter, HDMI with an adapter, and I believe have DisplayPort as well AND have working drivers in both Linux and Windows 7/10. They'll all pretty much come with a 1/2 height adapter but you can just bend the top flat and shove it in a regular chassis for temp use. Sometimes you can find them with a full height bracket.

If i have to go that far i would just open up my laptop and test it out. but i just got a feeling the NVME is just dead at this point.

5 hours ago, ShayOh said:

12666.908446] usb 2-2: USB disconnect, device number 3

I take it sda is your system disk, correct? You said the other drives work fine in that enclosure, how about trying the same with a working drive and note the differences between them. But admittedly, it's increasingly looking like a dead drive, yes 😞  That USB line is most likely the USB controller for the enclosure.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)