DTS or not

Kurse

I rip my blu ray movies with 5.1 DTS surround sound and I want to watch them with headphones. Do I need to get DTS certified headphones or will the Dolby digital certification be exactly the same? I don't have a soundcard but if I need to get one I will. I am looking at about $100 on the headphones, and no more then $150 on the soundcard if I absolutely need to. I really don't need a mic on them since I have a Blue Snowball but if a really good pair has a mic I will get it. Thanks for your time.

Are you running the sound directly off of your PC? Cause I watch all of my content with xbmc and pass through the signal to my receiver.The receiver decodes the dts bitstream. When I use my headphones, the receiver down samples the 5.1 signal into stereo. Unless you get headphones with 5.1 channels you won't really hear the benefits. And I don't think you'll find any 5.1 Headphones for under $250. Be careful too because a lot of companies advertise there headphones as 5.1 but they are only stereo utilizing a virtualization software/hardware .DTS and Dolby digital are two different codecs, so it's really up to personal preference. I would look into DTS-X. 

I do have a 5.1 DTS receiver but it has no headphone out. I want virtual surround because of Linus' recommendation.  i know the Corsair Vengeance 2000 are Dolby Digital and the Thermaltake Shock are DTS but I was wondering if you even tell the difference.

yes there is a difference. For headphones dolby is terrible, and I assume dts is as well. 

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

So then what is the best all-around for occasional movies, rock music (Guns N Roses/Alice In Chains/Pearl Jam) and gaming?

Oh and I want closed headphones

spend the whole budget on cans

shure srh-840, AKG k550, or audiotechnica ath-m50

upgrade sound card/DAC later if you need to.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Im sorry, but I have no sound card. I can't get digital surround out of any of these without one that supports it. Any soundcard suggestions?

90% of the time "digital surround" is just stereo anyway, no need to waste money on surround in a headphone.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say to anyone go with Dolby or go without anything.