BeyerTygr RAWR!

CTR640

Just when I thought I promised myself not to buy anymore headphones, I keep lying to myself so screw it lol. This Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R has been kinda on my watch list and wanted to buy it manu times but haven't pulled the trigger. And there are a lot of positive reviews and Beyer is also well know for great comfort. How does it compare to DT7/8/9 series? Too much sibilance or ear-piercing treble? As usual I use all my headphones and earphones for everything and I pick one depending on the mood. So content aint much of a problem.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

It's closer to the 880 than the 990 buts it's basically a retuned 32ohm 990. They put the drivers into a dt 880 chassis, put amiron home foam on it and added some new pads. Sounds great and is by far one of the tamest Beyers I've ever heard. Thing should have been called kitty. If you take the foam pads off it and put original 990 pads it sound Fairly similar to 32 ohm 990.

47 minutes ago, rice guru said:

It's closer to the 880 than the 990 buts it's basically a retuned 32ohm 990. They put the drivers into a dt 880 chassis, put amiron home foam on it and added some new pads. Sounds great and is by far one of the tamest Beyers I've ever heard. Thing should have been called kitty. If you take the foam pads off it and put original 990 pads it sound Fairly similar to 32 ohm 990.

Nice to hear that. Then I guess I should pull the trigger in the next days. I discovered from the the others the Black Edition 880 is different to the normal 880. But as it is now, I'll be ordering the Kitty 300R lol

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

Nice to hear that. Then I guess I should pull the trigger in the next days. I discovered from the the others the Black Edition 880 is different to the normal 880. But as it is now, I'll be ordering the Kitty 300R lol

I wish I could prefer one myself. But as of now. But hard to get in Canada. Only got to try from  someone in my circle that managed to get one before the rush to get them. I'm just ordering the tygr foam pads directly from Beyer and slapping those on my 990.

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I wish I could prefer one myself. But as of now. But hard to get in Canada. Only got to try from  someone in my circle that managed to get one before the rush to get them. I'm just ordering the tygr foam pads directly from Beyer and slapping those on my 990.

Why is that exactly? Taxes or customs? What about Amazon or Ebay? Or out of stock so soon? 

DAC/AMPs:

3 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Just to be more concise as I wrote my previous comment during my work break. The tygr. Is the only headphone out of the 4 that can be considered warm. The 770 250 ohm is slight v shape with strong subbass presence when needed. 990 is v leaning heavy on 10k and mid bass and the 880 is neutral bright. The tygr is warm with a slightest Beyer edge. A kitty still has claws. The treble is well extended. And has a decent presence. To me it's like if the 990 and 880 had a love child. The 880's treble but with the 990s low end . Still it's pretty similar to the 990. Remind me didn't you have amiron homes and a pair of 990's?.

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Why is that exactly? Taxes or customs? What about Amazon or Ebay? Or out of stock so soon? 

No availability locally unless special ordered from Beyer or found in a random guitar shop which is hard to do in covid times. US  Beyerdynamic store does not ship to Canada unless contacted via customer service. And constantly out of stock and when in stock disappears.

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Just to be more concise as I wrote my previous comment during my work break. The tygr. Is the only headphone out of the 4 that can be considered warm. The 770 250 ohm is slight v shape with strong subbass presence when needed. 990 is v leaning heavy on 10k and mid bass and the 880 is neutral bright. The tygr is warm with a slightest Beyer edge. A kitty still has claws. The treble is well extended. And has a decent presence. To me it's like if the 990 and 880 had a love child. The 880's treble but with the 990s low end . Still it's pretty similar to the 990. Remind me didn't you have amiron homes and a pair of 990's?.

I do have the Amiron Home and Black Edition 880.

Not really sure if the covid is an excuse to make it rare and or increasing prices or both. 

DAC/AMPs:

13 hours ago, rice guru said:

No availability locally unless special ordered from Beyer or found in a random guitar shop which is hard to do in covid times. US  Beyerdynamic store does not ship to Canada unless contacted via customer service. And constantly out of stock and when in stock disappears.

It sounds like the Kitty 300R is damn popular, is that right? I can't blame it as Beyer surely know how to audio.

And I can't be helped, just ordered it... Before pulling the trigger, I was browsing through spare parts and there are many earpads like DT770 VB, DT990 VB and Tygr earpads and are there differences between them all 3? I was thinking on to order them too but I'll wait after I got the Tygr and of course, to read more about them from the others.

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

It sounds like the Kitty 300R is damn popular, is that right? I can't blame it as Beyer surely know how to audio.

And I can't be helped, just ordered it... Before pulling the trigger, I was browsing through spare parts and there are many earpads like DT770 VB, DT990 VB and Tygr earpads and are there differences between them all 3? I was thinking on to order them too but I'll wait after I got the Tygr and of course, to read more about them from the others.

The 770 doesn't tend to flatten out due to the foam inside it. Which means foam and driver distance variance which invites  different type of sound. The 990 flattens out over time I like these pads as I get less treble when the flatten out. Tygrlooks like black 880 pads but the foam could be different, So different tuning not sure how it exactly affects sound.

So today I got the Tygr 300R and boi, this headphone is A-MA-ZING! The bass is very well done and treble is very pleasant and the spikes are silky smooth! Soundstage is big and the vocals is exactly how I wanted and you don't need to EQ it at all. The comfort is extremely nice and the earpads are pure joy :3

And oh, the earpads doesn't look and feel like the DT880 at all, they are like cushions and very soft too and this type of velour is different to the DT7/8/9, the shape of inner is different too.

The Tygr is a very good allrounder for everything, movies, music, gaming and for all other stuff and you won't miss out any detail.

DAC/AMPs:

Awesome man, everyone raves about the TYGR being awesome but I never recommend it because it's out of stock most of the time.

Since you're a big Beyerdynamic fan I highly suggest you watch this Beyer pad swap video that zeos did, I followed his recommendation on my 880's and love the result.  They make it an airy sound now, can't say for certain it's better than stock but it's different and that's what I was looking for.  Pads are the cheapest way to experience something different in this hobby.  I have two pairs of after market pads on my t50rp and will be ordering a third, eventually I'll do the Argon mod.  I just get a kick out of changing thing's up on a regular basis.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

5 hours ago, Psittac said:

Awesome man, everyone raves about the TYGR being awesome but I never recommend it because it's out of stock most of the time.

Since you're a big Beyerdynamic fan I highly suggest you watch this Beyer pad swap video that zeos did, I followed his recommendation on my 880's and love the result.  They make it an airy sound now, can't say for certain it's better than stock but it's different and that's what I was looking for.  Pads are the cheapest way to experience something different in this hobby.  I have two pairs of after market pads on my t50rp and will be ordering a third, eventually I'll do the Argon mod.  I just get a kick out of changing thing's up on a regular basis.

Not recommending them because it's out of stock most of the time means you actually recommends them 😛  But is it out of stock too most of the times in the US?

Yeah, I never buy many headphones from the same brand. Of the Sony products I only have the MDR-E818LP and recently the WF XM3 and am really surprised about the sound quality and from Marshall I have the Marshall Mid ANC and the Stockwell 1st gen. They are such beauties. And of the Beyerdynamic...oh well, shut up...lol

Which 880 do you have? The grey regular one? I have the Black Edition and according to Head-Fi, the Black Edition have different frequencties and the 880 BL earpads are different too from the regular 880. The Tygr is like 880, 990 and Amiron Home all-in-one. You know the famous Beyer spikes? Well, the spikes of the Tygr are so smooth. I'll be trying some new earpads but swapping them are a nightmare, I once tried it with my 880.

Why I like Beyerdynamic is how they put the wearing comfort on very high priority and they have many headphones for all classes, wether it be gaming, or studio or portable or home use, they have them in many categories. The DT series, even the DT1770 and 1990 are very popular amonst fps players.

Zeos is a big beyerdynamic fan too lol

DAC/AMPs:

I have the 880 600 ohm running on an emotiva a-100, the silver ones.  When I first got them I wasn't sold on dumping the money into the A-100 but in the description Zeos said that you could run it off a normal speaker amp, I had an unused 50wpc amp and bought the cables to convert it to a headphone amp and was completely blown away when I first put them on.  I had them at an unsafe listening level and just couldn't stop, it was so much everything, like being at a rock concert and hugging a speaker.  Well it wasn't long until that amp blew.  After some asking around the problem was a shared ground due to the headphones being single ended.  I wasn't mad because it gave me a chance to truly experience something new and as soon as I could, the A-100 was in the mail and I never looked back.  That was actually the only time Zeos steered me wrong but it was worth it.  Now I have an amp that can drive anything and that lead me to another pinnacle of "hard to drive" headphones the Fostex T-50rp which I absolutely adore and will be shipping to modhouse for the argon conversion once I have the desire and the funds.  For now I'm just having fun pad swapping it, well the two pads that I have, and they respond drastically as they're known as a modders dream.  I just want to spend time getting to know them so I have a full understanding of what they do to the sound at modhouse.

I'm still in the process of fully understanding my headphones.  I got the 400i and the 6xx so I could watch reviews and comprehend when they say the 6xx is intimate and mid/vocal focused.  What I'm learning is that I don't give my can's their due justice other than an initial session and zoning out.  I hope to set up a listening room when I finish my basement so that I can be away from all distractions.  Then I will give each of them their due course and maybe do some A/B, so far the A/B I have done is seat of the pants.

The reason I got the 880-600 is due to a pair of 770-80 that I got for my blind friend and I gave them a 5 minute listen before setting them up for him.  I immediately loved the signature and had to get a pair of beyers for myself.  The fidelio X3 is the same thing for me, I had them on for 45 seconds at my friends house and fell in love.  So silky that I want some X2HR now

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

@Psittac

I have the 880BLK 250ohm. I had no good amp so as a starter it was the Fiio E10K. It's a decent amp but it sounds the same as my onboard audio but the 880 is so inefficient. Then later I got a portable monitor, Asus XG17AHPE and its built-in DAC is sooo good! So I started to search for a brtter dac/amp and between the iFi ZEN and Fiio K5 Pro it was the latter. It has a lot of juice to power any big ohm headphones and won't be "upgrading" to a better dac/amp because I'm happy with it. Maybe iFi ZEN CAN? But for now, imma pet this tiger!

I wanted the X3 too but at price of €349... The X2 gets more praise than the X3. Sometimes I gotta use my common sense and I only buy it if I really want it.

And oh, intimate sound? I really dislike intimate sound and the HD560S is a big mistake and I regret it. Can't believe it because it's a freakin' open-back! It has good seperation though but for soundstage it's horrible

Speaking of speaker, this Marshall Stockwell 1st gen is a damn sexy looking and don't underestimate its size! It can get very loud, the neighbours will call the police. And if they come at your door, you can just hide the speaker and the neigbours will be arrested for reporting a fake call lol

DAC/AMPs:

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

@Psittac

I have the 880BLK 250ohm. I had no good amp so as a starter it was the Fiio E10K. It's a decent amp but it sounds the same as my onboard audio but the 880 is so inefficient. Then later I got a portable monitor, Asus XG17AHPE and its built-in DAC is sooo good! So I started to search for a brtter dac/amp and between the iFi ZEN and Fiio K5 Pro it was the latter. It has a lot of juice to power any big ohm headphones and won't be "upgrading" to a better dac/amp because I'm happy with it. Maybe iFi ZEN CAN? But for now, imma pet this tiger!

I wanted the X3 too but at price of €349... The X2 gets more praise than the X3. Sometimes I gotta use my common sense and I only buy it if I really want it.

And oh, intimate sound? I really dislike intimate sound and the HD560S is a big mistake and I regret it. Can't believe it because it's a freakin' open-back! It has good seperation though but for soundstage it's horrible

Speaking of speaker, this Marshall Stockwell 1st gen is a damn sexy looking and don't underestimate its size! It can get very loud, the neighbours will call the police. And if they come at your door, you can just hide the speaker and the neigbours will be arrested for reporting a fake call lol

The X3 to me was not a big enough difference to the X2hr to warrant the price jump. I also hated how they tuned it. The made the bass flatter and the treble brighter which to me was the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted more bass but tighter and less loose and I wanted more detail in the treble but keep how smooth it was not brighter but that last part is just me. For the price the Fidelio is selling at there are far more headphones I would rather buy

35 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The X3 to me was not a big enough difference to the X2hr to warrant the price jump. I also hated how they tuned it. The made the bass flatter and the treble brighter which to me was the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted more bass but tighter and less loose and I wanted more detail in the treble but keep how smooth it was not brighter but that last part is just me. For the price the Fidelio is selling at there are far more headphones I would rather buy

Exactly. I have other headphones so can't justify it. I've read a lot about the complaints so since then, nah, I pass on this one. Has the soundstage changed too?

DAC/AMPs:

10 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Exactly. I have other headphones so can't justify it. I've read a lot about the complaints so since then, nah, I pass on this one. Has the soundstage changed too?

Nah it's still wide. Imaging is also about the same.