tightening ram timings

aune

i have two corsair lpx vengeance 8gb 3200mhz cl16 , they are at default timings which is 16-18-18-36-54. So which of these numbers do i lower? They are samsung b- die if that has anything to say.

2 minutes ago, aune said:

i have two corsair lpx vengeance 8gb 3200mhz cl16 , they are at default timings which is 16-18-18-36-54. So which of these numbers do i lower? They are samsung b- die if that has anything to say.

You would have to disable XMP first then go in the advanced settings (OC) and tune those settings in single step increments. After each change, have the system load testet 24 hours or more to be safe. Keep in mind that you could break the RAM modules as well if you go to far. I would first see if you can get the clocks up a bit before messing with timings unless you know what you are doing. Look for OC results of other people on that kit of memory. Another aspect is to adjust the voltage as well. If you do not feel comfortable with that, get a new kit of memory instead. 

14 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

You would have to disable XMP first then go in the advanced settings (OC) and tune those settings in single step increments. After each change, have the system load testet 24 hours or more to be safe. Keep in mind that you could break the RAM modules as well if you go to far. I would first see if you can get the clocks up a bit before messing with timings unless you know what you are doing. Look for OC results of other people on that kit of memory. Another aspect is to adjust the voltage as well. If you do not feel comfortable with that, get a new kit of memory instead. 

i dont have to disable it, i can set it manually with docp on. But the numbers, in bios they were 16-18-18-18-36. Where did the last 18 come from? I don't know how this works, just wanna test. Was thinking 16-16-16-36 if that  is good.

2 minutes ago, aune said:

i dont have to disable it, i can set it manually with docp on. But the numbers, in bios they were 16-18-18-18-36. Where did the last 18 come from? I don't know how this works, just wanna test. Was thinking 16-16-16-36 if that  is good.

DOCP OC and changing memory timings at the same time. Good luck getting that system stable long term. Maybe those timings would work but don't go to 16-16-16 right away. I have seen people getting it stable at 16-16-18 but only after changing the voltage on the Corsair DIMMs. Your results will depend on the chips, your cpu and the motherboard. If you can get it stable at 16-16-16-36 without changing clock speed and voltage, you have some amazing modules.

Good Luck

12 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

DOCP OC and changing memory timings at the same time. Good luck getting that system stable long term. Maybe those timings would work but don't go to 16-16-16 right away. I have seen people getting it stable at 16-16-18 but only after changing the voltage on the Corsair DIMMs. Your results will depend on the chips, your cpu and the motherboard. If you can get it stable at 16-16-16-36 without changing clock speed and voltage, you have some amazing modules.

Good Luck

what should i start with

Just now, aune said:

what should i start with

Watch tons of videos and read OC guides. Doesn't matter if they are for DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, the base concept is the same. You will have to do a lot of technical reading to understand what you are about to change and what it does. I don't have a howto ready to send you but there are videos on YT explaining it in detail. Also search google for Corsair LPX DDR4 timings to give you an idea on what works and what does not. Remember that you need to verify that it is stable after each step. Only because it can run a game does not make it stable.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Watch tons of videos and read OC guides. Doesn't matter if they are for DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, the base concept is the same. You will have to do a lot of technical reading to understand what you are about to change and what it does. I don't have a howto ready to send you but there are videos on YT explaining it in detail. Also search google for Corsair LPX DDR4 timings to give you an idea on what works and what does not. Remember that you need to verify that it is stable after each step. Only because it can run a game does not make it stable.

sheesh, i should prob just buy a cl14 kit shouldnt i

5 minutes ago, aune said:

sheesh, i should prob just buy a cl14 kit shouldnt i

Less trouble for sure.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Less trouble for sure.

what if i ignore timings and go for frequency, lets say 3600mhz. Would it be the same process or mainly voltage?

1 minute ago, aune said:

what if i ignore timings and go for frequency, lets say 3600mhz. Would it be the same process or mainly voltage?

Increasing the frequency is less difficult, you may end up increasing timings eventually but first you will have to increase the RAM voltage a tiny bit to get it stable. If it doesn't work the bios will reset or the system won't boot right away, needing a cmos reset. Try with 3466 as a step up. If you can get it stable then go up. If you need to increase voltage, do the smallest step possible until you can get it stable.