Wired speed (100mbps) Suddenly slower than Wireless Speed (700mbps)

Go to solution Solved by Latvian Video,
3 minutes ago, SteelReign7 said:

Directly to the Mobo - Asus Strix Z490. Had game boost on (which wasn't a problem earlier) but tried turning off. Making sure to restart PC with new changes.

Also thanks to all for helping me dig into it.

Someone with a Z490-E had a similar problem in a different forum, he went into network and internet settings and used "network reset", there is one reply and it is that it fixed it for someone else too

Hello!

Running into a weird issue. Suddenly my wired connection (cat5e) is running into speed problems. I haven't changed hardware or cabling.

• my wired speedtest is sitting at 100mpbs, when it used to be 800-1000+ mpbs.
  • my wireless remains at 600-700mbps.
  • ** Upload speeds remain intact across 3 wired computers (100mbps).

Shaw bridged > Asus RT-AC3100 > Switch

• AIProtection On.

I did notice that the PC cannot detect proxy settings - not sure when this started happening.

This is happening only on one computer. Other wired one is 800-1000 mbps.

• there is nothing eating up network resources according to resource monitor at idle.
  • I've tried the CMD resets.
  • Restart routers / shaw modem.
  • disable / enable / update check network drivers.
  • malware scan with SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes.
  • windows update (can't roll back Windows bc over 10 days ago).
  • ** swapped cabling between "working" and affected PC. No change.

Hopefully someone can help be diagnose this a bit better to see what is suddenly throttling my connection speed? I haven't made any significant changes recently - I just noticed the problem because my Steam download was abysmal (in the Kilobytes range). 

** It really appears to be related to some new setting on my PC.

Edited by SteelReign7

Did you check what's the reported connection speed on your system? Maybe the NIC or the cable has gone bad and is capping at 100mbits instead of 1gbit

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

22 minutes ago, SteelReign7 said:

Hello!

Running into a weird issue. Suddenly my wired connection (cat5e) is running into speed problems. I haven't changed hardware or cabling.

• - my wired speedtest is sitting at 100mpbs, when it used to be 800-1000+ mpbs.
  • - my wireless remains at 600-700mbps.

Shaw bridged > Asus RT-AC3100 > Switch

• AIProtection On.

I did notice that the PC cannot detect proxy settings - not sure when this started happening.

This is happening only on one computer. Other wired one is 800-1000 mbps.

- there is nothing eating up network resources according to resource monitor at idle.

- I've tried the CMD resets.

- Restart routers / shaw modem.

- disable / enable / update check network drivers.

- malware scan with SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes.

- windows update (can't roll back Windows bc over 10 days ago).

Hopefully someone can help be diagnose this a bit better to see what is suddenly throttling my connection speed? I haven't made any significant changes recently - I just noticed the problem because my Steam download was abysmal (in the Kilobytes range). 

Try plugging that pc in the port where the other pc is fine. Also like @igormp said, it could be the cable or a setting in windows which has changed for some reason

Sorry, I added that to the original post. I did swap around cables. And the Upload speed remains intact across three wired PCs with the cable swapped. “Working” PCs keep the high download speeds. Affected PC stumbles. 

4 minutes ago, SteelReign7 said:

Sorry, I added that to the original post. I did swap around cables. And the Upload speed remains intact across three wired PCs with the cable swapped. “Working” PCs keep the high download speeds. Affected PC stumbles. 

Did you only try changing the cable, or did you also try swapping the ports they are plugged into?

23 minutes ago, igormp said:

Did you check what's the reported connection speed on your system? Maybe the NIC or the cable has gone bad and is capping at 100mbits instead of 1gbit

Status as 1000/1000 - Max speed 1500

- Speed: 1.0 gpbs

6 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Did you only try changing the cable, or did you also try swapping the ports they are plugged into?

I left the ports on the switch side and swapped the connect between the PCs, which is effectively doing both. (Affected PC/new cable/known "working port" & "working" PC/suspect cable/suspect Port)

1 minute ago, SteelReign7 said:

Status as 1000/1000 - Max speed 1500

I left the ports on the switch side and swapped the connect between the PCs, which is effectively doing both. (Affected PC/new cable/known "working port" & "working" PC/suspect cable/suspect Port)

It's probs something on the pc side, does it have a network card or is it connected directly to the mobo?

Just now, Latvian Video said:

It's probs something on the pc side, does it have a network card or is it connected directly to the mobo?

Directly to the Mobo - Asus Strix Z490. Had game boost on (which wasn't a problem earlier) but tried turning off. Making sure to restart PC with new changes.

it does seem PC side. So I'm going to start from beginning and start uninstalling and reinstalling adapters again. See if anything I've done since then has cleared up any inconsistencies or conflicts for a fresh driver. Has to be the Ethernet Network Adapter (hopefully not shot, since it's months old).

If not, next step is windows refresh, just hoping not to lose too many settings. But a 104KB download speed is not go for me!

3 minutes ago, SteelReign7 said:

Someone with a Z490-E had a similar problem in a different forum, he went into network and internet settings and used "network reset", there is one reply and it is that it fixed it for someone else too

5 hours ago, Latvian Video said:

This is exactly what I tried first this time around, and it worked as well! Something along the way - must be some Asus network software - causes and issue. Specifically, I had to go to the "reset Network" as uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter drivers didn't work the last time around. It may then be a combination of refreshing the environment and resetting the network settings.

Either way, that is the last thing I tried and it worked. Thanks to both of you!