Raspberry Pi Zero WH Projects

JTPOTATO

Hi everyone,

I'm about to get a Raspberry Pi Zero for a bit of fun, although I've got a couple ideas for some projects, I'm not too creative.

So wanted to see if anyone had some good ideas/projects they'd recommend to a first time Raspberry Pi user

Thanks 馃檪

Just now, Hans Christian | Teri said:

How is your experience with electronics? Any Arduino / similar experience?

Kind of none at all 馃槥

But definitely up for anything, I've got equipment like soldering iron, etc. just never really had a need to use it... maybe until now 馃檪

Just now, JTPOTATO said:

Kind of none at all 馃槥

But definitely up for anything, I've got equipment like soldering iron, etc. just never really had a need to use it... maybe until now 馃檪

Do you have a breadboard? If not definitely get one and some jumper cables, you'll need some resistors, LEDs etc as well to get started. 馃檪

If you have no experience I suggest starting out very simple following a blinking LED guide or similar, maybe putting your own spin on it once you've gotten it to work (like getting it to blink SOS in morse code or something similar). Take very good care when connecting stuff to the GPIO, it's a lot tougher on the wallet to fry a $14 Pi Zero than a $2 Arduino Uno. 馃檪

23 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Do you have a breadboard? If not definitely get one and some jumper cables, you'll need some resistors, LEDs etc as well to get started. 馃檪

If you have no experience I suggest starting out very simple following a blinking LED guide or similar, maybe putting your own spin on it once you've gotten it to work (like getting it to blink SOS in morse code or something similar). Take very good care when connecting stuff to the GPIO, it's a lot tougher on the wallet to fry a $14 Pi Zero than a $2 Arduino Uno. 馃檪

I don't have that stuff to be honest, but will get that in my cart for sure.

I've bought the unit with the headers pre soldiered as I'm thinking I'd be safer with that... maybe not now LOL

Getting it tomorrow, so we'll see how we get on.

Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

I don't have that stuff to be honest, but will get that in my cart for sure.

I've bought the unit with the headers pre soldiered as I'm thinking I'd be safer with that... maybe not now LOL

Getting it tomorrow, so we'll see how we get on.

Thanks for your help!

Getting it with the header pre-soldered is a great choice, it took me quite a while before I was good with a soldering iron. It takes practice, and it is better to practice on less expensive components than your SBC. 馃檪 Electronics are a world of fun just waiting to be explored. My best advice is to start slow, start small and don't get thrown off if you fry something (I have more than a few Arduinos, ESP32s etc on my conscience).

also get stuff directly from china, don't use amazon for such thing because you will pay too much

or also store like digikey or arrow.. but even there the shipping timings are bibblical so it doesn't really matter

if you want a price comparitor use octoparts

also if you want to do embedded stuff, I would start to learn the c language, or even the cpp is great as long you do use the core stuff, the std library is usually too heavy to be used, or even assembly is great, you can easily learn "underground stuff"

and not for the last learn mathematics if you don't already know it, a lot of stuff there is just applied mathematics

for the resources it doesn't really matter what do you use, many suggest for cpp the book from stroustrup, but that's scholastic crap, it's expensive a.f and it's usessly a brick, you can aswell see fast tutorials like on tutorialspoint, and after that consult the reference online, doesn't really matter, use what you do like

-> Moved to Hobby Electronics

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv