Nvidia Drivers Blew My GPU?

d4n1Xd34th

Hi good people,

I have encountered a strange problem with the last Nvidia GPU driver update on a laptop running GTX960M.

The driver update failed and then I the laptop started freezing on start, They keys don't work nor the mouse. Everything get's stuck including num lock - caps lock keys.

I tried to solve it by

1 Running DDU and removing all drivers and updating with the latest ones and also older ones.

2 BIOS update frim Lenovo Website

3. Latest windows Update

Now there is 3 Possible random outcomes

1. BSOD with  nvlddmkm.sys , video tdr failure

2. The random freeze after startup

3. Code 43 on Device manager and Windows stopping the Nvidia Card

Also Even after installing drivers I can't access the Nvidia Control panel

Right click Run with Nvidia Graphics Card context is missing too

I updated to latest build windows too to check if that fixes the issue but it didn't work

Any help solving this will be greatly appreciated. The current state of the economy is not really good and working without a laptop in not really possible.

I think it's something software related because it just happened after the driver update

System is a Lenovo Y-50 70

Running WIndows 10, 64bit

Default Hardware

It likely failed installing drivers because of a hardware failure.
Things don't tend to work properly on broken hardware.
When Hardware fails - software fails too, it can be the other way around,.. but in your instance that's just likely the co-incidence.
Happy to be proven wrong and you can troubleshoot it to work again, but THOSE symptoms = Dead GTX960m to me.

TLDR~GTX960m dying/dead before all this.....so Nothing is going to work regardless of software

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

It likely failed installing drivers because of a hardware failure.
Things don't tend to work properly on broken hardware.
When Hardware fails - software fails too, it can be the other way around,.. but in your instance that's just likely co-incidence.

TLDR~GTX960 dead so Nothing is going to work regardless of software

It was working properly, no fps drops or anything and then suddenly it can fail without any signs?

7 minutes ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

It was working properly, no fps drops or anything and then suddenly it can fail without any signs?

Thats what a Failure is.
My 2080Ti is over a year old, if it just stops allowing me to do things, crashes and freezes like your issues, I tend to think it just died somehow.

You've already done the troubleshooting, and have the same symptoms.

If it works as a Basic Display Adapter you can still use the PC (No Drivers installed/attached to cause failure)
Desktop is a 3D environment (DWM.exe is Desktop Windows Manager, it's GPU assisted)
2D mode still works though likely,..and Windows will look a little more basic, but it'll likely work)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

It can, but do this:

Use DDU in safe mode, then in normal mode let windows install the driver from whatever repository it has on hand.

See what happens.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

It can, but do this:

Use DDU in safe mode, then in normal mode let windows install the driver from whatever repository it has on hand.

See what happens.

I always install the drivers manually, i'll windows try once

It can, but do this:

See what happens.

Beyond this, get rid of drivers, run it in 2D mode always (but you'll have to get Windows to never update your drivers and that's probably not easy.
You could disable the device maybe, and keep it in 2D Basic mode... (best backup your files first because I don't want you having a permanent no display if it won't reload 2D basics on the next boot)

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Beyond this, get rid of drivers, run it in 2D mode always (but you'll have to get Windows to never update your drivers and that's probably not easy.
You could disable the device maybe, and keep it in 2D Basic mode... (best backup your files first because I don't want you having a permanent no display if it won't reload 2D basics on the next boot)

Yes, I am currently running on the onboard Intel GPU, but it can't handle my workload. I'll probably have to break out my savings and finally upgrade to a desktop

43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It can, but do this:

See what happens.

Device Manager says 3D video Controller with an yellow exclamation. Searching for Divers through device manager says window cant find suitable drivers. Check manufacturer website 

Device Manager says 3D video Controller with an yellow exclamation. Searching for Divers through device manager says window cant find suitable drivers. Check manufacturer website 

Windows Update should see the GFX card automatically, if it can't install from WU, then chances are the GFX-card is defective somehow.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Windows Update should see the GFX card automatically, if it can't install from WU, then chances are the GFX-card is defective somehow.

2016 drivers installed automatically, let me open some app and see if it can detect the card now, still can't see nvidia control panel tho

3 minutes ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

still can't see nvidia control panel tho

If it's drivers from MS, then you won't, these should be basic drivers only.

Let's start with those, and see if your system behaves itself, before we start upgrading to the latest nVidia drivers.

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If it's drivers from MS, then you won't, these should be basic drivers only.

Let's start with those, and see if your system behaves itself, before we start upgrading to the latest nVidia drivers.

System is stable, however hwmonitor shows video bios version unknown, but its detects the card

System is stable, however hwmonitor shows video bios version unknown, but its detects the card

I'll take stability over info any day of the week

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

But i can't use the card if you know what i mean? It's like the card is detected but applications can't detect it. I am pretty sure it's a software issue now

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

HWInfo detects the card, but GPUZ doesn't

1 hour ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

HWInfo detects the card, but GPUZ doesn't

post pics here of what Windows says under Device Manager please

58 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

post pics here of what Windows says under Device Manager please

The system is stable right now but the GPU is not usable, PS: It's not disabled.

Tried flashing a vbios getting EPROM error or something

Device Manager.PNG

GPUZ.PNG

2 minutes ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

GPU is not usable

elaborate on this please. 

elaborate on this please. 

Nvidia control panel does not open, any application I open, Including games are running on the intel GPU. Plus Task Manager does not have the card showing. 

Task Manager.PNG

Nvidia control panel does not open, any application I open, Including games are running on the intel GPU. Plus Task Manager does not have the card showing. 

Task Manager.PNG

How do you normally switch GFX cards on the laptop?

How do you normally switch GFX cards on the laptop?

Normally games used to select the Nvidia GPU itself, while 3D application required me to right click and select open with Nvidia GPU option. Any Nvidia options are still missing from the context menu. Including the Nvidia Control panel.

When I manually click on the Nvidia Control Panel from the search menu, nothing opens

4 minutes ago, d4n1Xd34th said:

Normally games used to select the Nvidia GPU itself, while 3D application required me to right click and select open with Nvidia GPU option. Any Nvidia options are still missing from the context menu. Including the Nvidia Control panel.

When I manually click on the Nvidia Control Panel from the search menu, nothing opens

Sounds like, short of a wipe and re-install of the OS, the card is bad.

Sounds like, short of a wipe and re-install of the OS, the card is bad.

The last thing left to try is somehow go on a linux persistence bootable and try some stress test on the card

Just now, d4n1Xd34th said:

The last thing left to try is somehow go on a linux persistence bootable and try some stress test on the card

Plenty of LiveUSB Linux Distros. Linux Mint is very Windows-like.