Video Editing 6K

turke

Budget (including currency): $1500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: VIDEO EDITING

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU: INTEL Core i7-8700K

MOBO: ASROCK Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6

RAM: CORSAIR 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL16   X 2

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC

SSD: SAMSUNG 512GB 860 PRO

HDD: WD 2TB Gold

PSU: CORSAIR AX760 760W

Premiere Pro CC 2019

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to RTX 3070,

and my question is will I be able to edit 4K & 6K videos without lagging, because now I can't?

Is it worth getting that upgrade?

thnx

21 minutes ago, turke said:

Budget (including currency): $1500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: VIDEO EDITING

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU: INTEL Core i7-8700K

MOBO: ASROCK Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6

RAM: CORSAIR 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL16   X 2

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC

SSD: SAMSUNG 512GB 860 PRO

HDD: WD 2TB Gold

PSU: CORSAIR AX760 760W

Premiere Pro CC 2019

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to RTX 3070,

and my question is will I be able to edit 4K & 6K videos without lagging, because now I can't?

Is it worth getting that upgrade?

thnx

Even something like a 1650 super is enough for GPU accelerated tasks in budget 4k video editing. A 3070 will be more than fast for you for 6k, for not only GPU accelerated effects, but also for very fast nvenc hardware encoding because of the relatively high CUDA core count. (version 14.2/14.3+ has native support for NVENC GPU encoding)

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but editing off of your SSD will be much snappier than having the files on an HDD. In case you didn't know this, I'd recommend keeping the files on your SSD while you're editing them.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Have you turn on mercury engine (cuda)?

I had experience editing 4K files with a slower 1050ti card, no problem.

Depends on the raw file codec, h264 no problem for me.

Is it worth the upgrade? Well right now no. GPU prices are through the roof.

Probably better to upgrade to something like 1070 or 1080 with 8gb vram.

Those card can handle 8k files without sweating.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, AnirbanG007 said:

Even something like a 1650 super is enough for GPU accelerated tasks in budget 4k video editing. A 3070 will be more than fast for you for 6k, for not only GPU accelerated effects, but also for very fast nvenc hardware encoding because of the relatively high CUDA core count. (version 14.2/14.3+ has native support for NVENC GPU encoding)

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but editing off of your SSD will be much snappier than having the files on an HDD. In case you didn't know this, I'd recommend keeping the files on your SSD while you're editing them.

Thank you, 

Now I have enough money for 3070, and I think is better to invest to more expensive card, maybe I'm wrong but ...

I plan to eventually add M2 NVMe

and I use HDD for storage purposes (I know wd gold isn't best choice for storage but I have one)

21 minutes ago, turke said:

Thank you, 

Now I have enough money for 3070, and I think is better to invest to more expensive card, maybe I'm wrong but ...

I plan to eventually add M2 NVMe

and I use HDD for storage purposes (I know wd gold isn't best choice for storage but I have one)

Investing in an expensive card would definitely be better for gaming. But for video editing, I'm a little short in experience. All you really need afaik is a decent amount of vram and loads of cuda cores (for encoding), as long as those purposes are met, I don't think it'd be very good to spend on an expensive card with advanced gaming features. With an RTX card you'd be paying for RT cores and other stuff which you don't need. You could probably use that money to get something from a previous generation with more vram and a higher cuda core count. However I'm no expert, and please consult others before pulling the trigger.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

30 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Have you turn on mercury engine (cuda)?

I had experience editing 4K files with a slower 1050ti card, no problem.

Depends on the raw file codec, h264 no problem for me.

Is it worth the upgrade? Well right now no. GPU prices are through the roof.

Probably better to upgrade to something like 1070 or 1080 with 8gb vram.

Those card can handle 8k files without sweating.

Thank you,

Sure, my CUDA is on 🙂

I'm getting various codec videos, and everything above 1080p is mostly laggy 😕

I don't think the prices of GPU will drop soon or ever, 

and I think invest in newer graphic card pays off in the long run.

Well you should fix the problem before buying a new card. If you have problems with h264, then you gotta solve that.

That card should have no problem with 4K h264.

My source is from Sony A7 and Panasonic G85 / Gh5, no problems in premiere with a 1050ti.

Another thing is to increase the scratch disk or use a separate drive for this.

If mercury engine problematic (yes this can happen sometimes), use default software acceleration, it's a bit slow but if it work why not?

Reinstall the GPU drivers with DDU, or to the extreme make a completely separated windows install just for editing job.

9 minutes ago, turke said:

I don't think the prices of GPU will drop soon or ever, 

and I think invest in newer graphic card pays off in the long run.

Yes, but not at 200%. Just wait 3-6 months, till the stocks normalize, i hope.

As i said ,better just to buy a used 1080 card for now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w