GPU Riser Technical Questions.

Yappster

Hi all, I am hoping that the knowledge in this forum will be able to help.#

I have just fitted a Corsair Premium PCIe 3.0 x 16 Riser to my rig and I have a small issue since installation.

Riser fitted and on the desktop no issues and everything boots up fine, then when I open War Thunder and i move the mouse pointer around in the hanger the screen starts to dim and brighten, this is lick a flickering effect and it only happens when I move the mouse pointer around. This never happened prior to fitting the riser!

My question is does the Riser need to be earthed to the case for the shielding to work as at the moment my riser is just fitted to the motherboard > GPU.

I have attached a picture to hopefully help with what I mean, does the highlighted need to have continuity with the case or is this just purely for mounting?

Riser.PNG

@Yappster - Earthing should (and is) carried out with a number of wires within the PCIe riser cable and slot. You shouldn't have to provide an extra earth shield for it to work correctly. If I were you, I'd unplug and re-plug in the riser cable in the motherboard's PCIe x16 slot and make sure the latch at both ends of the cable is in the locked position.

The area you circled is known in circuit board design 101 as the keep-out zone. (keep any circuit board traces that carry current outside this zone) For a rather in-depth explanation with a circuit board that didn't employ a keep out zone and a chance meeting with a metal screw's thread, watch the Gamers Nexus videos on the NZXT H1 riser cable presenting a potential fire hazard. Note that this product should be the subject of a government recall. JayzTwoCents has weighed into this problem with the NZXT H1 as well to help widen the reach for user awareness.

3 hours ago, Blai5e said:

@Yappster - Earthing should (and is) carried out with a number of wires within the PCIe riser cable and slot. You shouldn't have to provide an extra earth shield for it to work correctly. If I were you, I'd unplug and re-plug in the riser cable in the motherboard's PCIe x16 slot and make sure the latch at both ends of the cable is in the locked position.

The area you circled is known in circuit board design 101 as the keep-out zone. (keep any circuit board traces that carry current outside this zone) For a rather in-depth explanation with a circuit board that didn't employ a keep out zone and a chance meeting with a metal screw's thread, watch the Gamers Nexus videos on the NZXT H1 riser cable presenting a potential fire hazard. Note that this product should be the subject of a government recall. JayzTwoCents has weighed into this problem with the NZXT H1 as well to help widen the reach for user awareness.

Thanks for the explanation, i am new to the PC building scene and more at home messing about in the automotive world. I would rather ask for advice before I revert to a big hammer and screwdriver 😂

I will reseat the Riser and check again. If this persists I will just go back to conventional mounting👍