Refresh Rate Issue

dr9mil

I’m having refresh rate issues. I recently just built a tower and I’m having issues getting my refresh rate to show. Currently I am running in onboard graphics due to RTX shortage with drivers up-to-date according every check. Specs may help but here they are: I9 10850k, Asus Z490-H MB, 32gb ram 3600mhz, and 500gb NVME, 1tb SSD. I’m currently hooked into my Philips 55” TV. I know, TV’s are terrible monitiors but it’s what I got right now. It supports 60hz up to 4k. To confirm it does, I hooked my laptop up and it displays the TV resolution and it is allowing me to select 60hz. But when I hook back into my tower it goes back to 30hz. I’ve checked drivers, I’ve rolled them back, I’ve uninstalled and restarted and reinstalled, etc. Now the MB says it’s HD display port is 1.4 but right now I’m not aiming for 4k which 2.0 is needed. The MB says with the 1.4 HD port it supports up to 4096x2304 at 60hz. My current resolution is 3840x2160 and it won’t go to 60hz. Am I missing something or any tips?

4833E353-FCE5-4D65-8A2A-FF40561C3BB5.jpeg

I think you are mixing up Displayport with HDMI which are different standards, Diplayport being much higher bandwidth than HDMI. 

Here is the spec for HDMI 1.4

HDMI 1.4 added support for 4096 × 2160 at 24 Hz, 3840 × 2160 at 24, 25, and 30 Hz, and 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of TVs with Displayport inputs so you may have to lower your resolution if you need 60Hz

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

I think you are mixing up Displayport with HDMI which are different standards, Diplayport being much higher bandwidth than HDMI. 

Here is the spec for HDMI 1.4

HDMI 1.4 added support for 4096 × 2160 at 24 Hz, 3840 × 2160 at 24, 25, and 30 Hz, and 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of TVs with Displayport inputs so you may have to lower your resolution if you need 60Hz

Okay so it’s the 1.4 HDMI port on the MB locking it to 30hz? 

1 minute ago, dr9mil said:

Okay so it’s the 1.4 HDMI port on the MB locking it to 30hz? 

Correct 

1 minute ago, light-v said:

Correct 

Ah, okay. I was unaware of all the specs and so on. Then that would mean my laptop would have a 2.0 HDMI port to be allowing the 3840x2160 at 60hz? I checked the specs online and it doesn’t really say what the HDMI port is or supports but with that assumption it would have to be 2.0. So until I get a GPU I’m locked at 30hz which is fine for now. I just noticed my TV is 60hz and read the MB spec wrong and got concerned I did something wrong. 

Deeper look, my laptop is also 1.4b. So how is it allowing 60hz on the TV?

9 minutes ago, dr9mil said:

Deeper look, my laptop is also 1.4b. So how is it allowing 60hz on the TV?

That doesn't seem right, HDMI 1.4b does not have enough bandwidth for 4K 60Hz looks like it's operating out of spec 

1 minute ago, light-v said:

That doesn't seem right, HDMI 1.4b does not have enough bandwidth for 4K 60Hz looks like it's operating out of spec 

Attached photo. Maybe so? The laptop itself is at 60hz so maybe it’s forcing 60hz? I’m not that inclined to tell with display stuff as noticed. I figure a GPU will allow the 60hz of the TV but for some reason the laptop is allowing it. 

I wouldn’t say it’s 4k but it’s definitely smooth like 60hz. Smoother than the tower for sure. So I don’t know anything about display stuff.