Case Fan Config/Layout

jellisellis

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: N/A

Other details: Case (ASUS TUF GT501) https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Gaming-Cases/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-GT501/

I have a 360mm Rad and would like to put it on top of my case.

I am fairly new to building PC's so I do not know what I should have as intake and exhaust fans. I was thinking about 3 front be intake, top and back outtake. However then there is Negative pressure, then I thought about top and front as intake and back as outtake (Back fan is 140mm).

Any help would be appreciated :)

Any reason not to install your radiator at the front of the case? It'll barely affect case temps if you have it there and will give you better clearance above the motherboard

5 minutes ago, light-v said:

Any reason not to install your radiator at the front of the case? It'll barely affect case temps if you have it there and will give you better clearance above the motherboard

The front looks a little tight

Screenshot_6.png.0e003ba96fa276f9c9076ecd1890e8b5.png

18 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

The front looks a little tight

Screenshot_6.png.0e003ba96fa276f9c9076ecd1890e8b5.png

Yes and the top bit is made for rads, there's some more clearance at the top that is not seen in this picture.

1 minute ago, jellisellis said:

Yes and the top bit is made for rads, there's some more clearance at the top that is not seen in this picture.

Both front and top is made for radsScreenshot_6.png.eccb39de746063d0acb5390f61f8dbd8.png

I would go with the rad on top, 3 intake and 1 exhaust fan and 3 on the rad also exhausting. Since the rad will add some resistance to the fans. 

5 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Both front and top is made for radsScreenshot_6.png.eccb39de746063d0acb5390f61f8dbd8.png

I would go with the rad on top, 3 intake and 1 exhaust fan and 3 on the rad also exhausting. Since the rad will add some resistance to the fans. 

So I have the 3 fans on front intake and the rest exhaust? Will that not cause a dust problem? I would like positive pressure in my case if possible.

35 minutes ago, jellisellis said:

So I have the 3 fans on front intake and the rest exhaust? Will that not cause a dust problem? I would like positive pressure in my case if possible.

I have had systems with positive and negative pressure, some dust will build up regardless of the configuration so you will still have to clean your dust filters. Positive pressure is not an excuse for not cleaning a PC. This used to be a bigger problem when cases didn't have any dust filters back in the days but it's a non issue now.

38 minutes ago, light-v said:

I have had systems with positive and negative pressure, some dust will build up regardless of the configuration so you will still have to clean your dust filters. Positive pressure is not an excuse for not cleaning a PC. This used to be a bigger problem when cases didn't have any dust filters back in the days but it's a non issue now.

Thanks for the help, if possible i might put my rad on front with the intakes and the top and back exhaust, would that be better than having the rad exhaust and using the warm air to cool it?

If it makes any difference my CPU is going to be a Ryzen 7 5800x.

2 hours ago, jellisellis said:

Thanks for the help, if possible i might put my rad on front with the intakes and the top and back exhaust, would that be better than having the rad exhaust and using the warm air to cool it?

If it makes any difference my CPU is going to be a Ryzen 7 5800x.

As I mentioned in a previous post the air passing through the rad is barely warmer (many youtubers have tested it and debunked the front rad = bad myth) this will not affect thermals in a significant way. Basically you can keep the stock fan configuration and slap your rad at the front and you'll be fine. You don't really need to spend a ton of money on case fans.

I own a case that's technically far worse that the GT501 in terms of cooling, the NZXT S340 Elite and some people call it a 'hotbox' but I haven't had any issues with thermals 

It's rare for a case to be the cause of extreme thermal issues these days unless you are purposely trying. I've had ITX systems run far hotter than my desktop and they're still running just fine albeit a fair bit louder and at slightly slower boost clocks on the CPU/GPU

AIO manufacturers typically recommend front mounting the rad for optimal cpu cooling.

I wouldn't worry too much about air pressure. The key to good cooling is airflow. Establish a consistent airflow from bottom, front to top, rear. As long as air is moving into and out of the case the system should run reasonably cool.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.