Will windows ever force you to make an online account

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I use windows and have an account, but I often install windows on test computers to do stuff and use the offline account feature for this, plus I don't like being forced to have an online account, I'm not forced and I made one because I wanted to. As of right now you can make local accounts on the latest iso but they try and hide the option and in home you need to disconnect from the internet to even get the option, so it's still possible but you have to go through hoops. Will microsoft ever force you to go online when installing an iso, and not let you proceed or use windows with no online account? I feel like that's what they want to do but they hold back because it would alienate a sizable portion of their user base.

For Home its entirely possible but IMO pretty unlikely. There's always going to be people who need a computer but don't have internet access.

For Pro, nah it'll never happen. Corporate network admins need offline accounts for domain connectivity.

I use windows and have an account, but I often install windows on test computers to do stuff and use the offline account feature for this, plus I don't like being forced to have an online account, I'm not forced and I made one because I wanted to. As of right now you can make local accounts on the latest iso but they try and hide the option and in home you need to disconnect from the internet to even get the option, so it's still possible but you have to go through hoops. Will microsoft ever force you to go online when installing an iso, and not let you proceed or use windows with no online account? I feel like that's what they want to do but they hold back because it would alienate a sizable portion of their user base.

4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

For Home its entirely possible but IMO pretty unlikely. There's always going to be people who need a computer but don't have internet access.

For Pro, nah it'll never happen. Corporate network admins need offline accounts for domain connectivity.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think that's definitely the end game here, but hopefully by then there will be laws to prevent that kind of thing, aka "need an online account for the thing you bought and that would technically work just fine without an internet connection ala Facebook VR / Occulus. 

(yes I know that sounds unlikely but I think that's where things are going, from corporate and legislative perspectives) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Good news, I can just get the pro iso instead for beat around computers not worth activating because I will format it sooner or later anyway. And can you use windows offline indefinitely with no product key? If I install with no internet and never connect to the internet and install stuff on it with a flash drive will it work for as long as my hardware lasts?

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think that's definitely the end game here, but hopefully by then there will be laws to prevent that kind of thing, aka "need an online account for the thing you bought and that would technically work just fine without an internet connection ala Facebook VR / Occulus. 

(yes I know that sounds unlikely but I think that's where things are going, from corporate and legislative perspectives) 

That facebook thing really annoys me it boils my blood how a peice of hardware requires an account to facebook, what if you don't like facebook or have privacy concerns? But even if microsoft does do that online only crap you will still probably be able to get modified isos that take it away.

1 hour ago, Pc6777 said:

That facebook thing really annoys me it boils my blood how a peice of hardware requires an account to facebook, what if you don't like facebook or have privacy concerns? But even if microsoft does do that online only crap you will still probably be able to get modified isos that take it away.

it gets even better because fb said they would *never* do this when they bought Occulus... 

Thank god I neither care for fb or VR.... but is definitely scummy (reason why I don't care for fb, other than the "service" isn't anything useful for me... just another "data collection app") 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it gets even better because fb said they would *never* do this when they bought Occulus... 

Thank god I neither care for fb or VR.... but is definitely scummy (reason why I don't care for fb, other than the "service" isn't anything useful for me... just another "data collection app") 

I don't care for vr either, but if I ever get into it I will get one of the other ones that works without drm, I cant believe hardware has drm, thats next level stuff, software drm is annoying but hardware drm is so insanely ridiculous and unnecessary. There will always be businesses using windows, so maybe there is a future for offline accounts because at a business you arnt going to want an online account, and if Microsoft ever makes it so the business edition is the only one with the offline option I will use the business edition iso for testing computers. 

13 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I don't care for vr either, but if I ever get into it I will get one of the other ones that works without drm, I cant believe hardware has drm, thats next level stuff, software drm is annoying but hardware drm is so insanely ridiculous and unnecessary. There will always be businesses using windows, so maybe there is a future for offline accounts because at a business you arnt going to want an online account, and if Microsoft ever makes it so the business edition is the only one with the offline option I will use the business edition iso for testing computers. 

don't get me wrong vr would be amazing, especially coupled with ar... but looking at the players currently in the 'business' this will never happen in our lifetime lol 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity