Can I Convert a 10-pin Lenovo PSU to Standard Connectors?

CastleCrusher
Go to solution Solved by Gorilla Warfare,

Average at best. They do have some decent models. That is not one of them. It's not built\designed for what you want to run.

So I recently upgraded a Lenovo Ideacentre 700-25ISH, and I'm left with a 250 watt FSP power supply. It uses only two cables, a proprietary 10-pin for the Lenovo motherboard and a 4-pin EPS cable. I'm wanting to use it to power an external graphics card. There's adapters for the Lenovo motherboard but not the other way around. I'm not sure of what riser I'm going to use for the finished product, but for now I'm wanting to convert the two cables to a 6 or 8-pin connector(s). I'm assuming that both cables can handle enough current to be able to use at least most of the power supply.

Other than cable splicing and a bit of soldering, how would I go about making something like this work?

Thanks

You can try to buy one of those adapters from AliExpress... I've bought one before, and it worked fine, but I believe it was 14pin, not 10pin. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, CastleCrusher said:

I'm wanting to use it to power an external graphics card.

You will burn your house down. Don't use a shit PSU for something it wasn't designed to do.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You will burn your house down. Don't use a shit PSU for something it wasn't designed to do.

7 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Bad idea , when the PSU is a piece of junk.

It was my understanding that FSP power supplies are okay in quality but maybe I'm wrong?

21 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

You can try to buy one of those adapters from AliExpress... I've bought one before, and it worked fine, but I believe it was 14pin, not 10pin. 

The only adapters I've been able find are to convert the motherboard connecter to be used with a standard ATX power supply, not the other way around.

Average at best. They do have some decent models. That is not one of them. It's not built\designed for what you want to run.

7 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Gotcha. I just didn't want to get something else if I didn't need to but looks like this isn't worth my time. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's probably not absolutely dogshit, considering it's a relatively recent prebuilt, but yeah I just read this further and would NOT use that with an external GPU.

36 minutes ago, CastleCrusher said:

but for now I'm wanting to convert the two cables to a 6 or 8-pin connector(s).

don't, they can't handle it most likely

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

It's probably not absolutely dogshit, considering it's a relatively recent prebuilt, but yeah I just read this further and would NOT use that with an external GPU.

Agreed, it's likely a decent PSU...when it's used for its original, intended purpose.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Average at best. 

They can make some of the best quality units in the industry if they wanted to. Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro 11, Hydro PTM, etc. But again, this just happens to not be their finest.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

57 minutes ago, CastleCrusher said:

Lenovo Ideacentre 700-25ISH

Can you post the model of the PSU rather than the model of the PC?

I can't tell if it has the correct voltages or not based on looking for the Ideacenter model.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Can you post the model of the PSU rather than the model of the PC?

I can't tell if it has the correct voltages or not based on looking for the Ideacenter model.

It's an FSP FSP250-30AGBAA Rev. 1. I can attach a picture if needed.

2 hours ago, CastleCrusher said:

It's an FSP FSP250-30AGBAA Rev. 1. I can attach a picture if needed.

That's ok.  I can use Google.

So that is a +12V only PSU.  It doesn't have +3.3V, +5V, +5VSB...  It should be chucked in the garbage with the original motherboard.  Completely proprietary trash.