5 short beeps, not booting, new build

netlex

Hi, issue is as in topic - PC doesn't post, only gives 5 short beep code, but all fans are spinning. Some parts are new and some are used, but all have warranty and were described as tested.

My specs:

- ASRock H410M-HVS (new)

- i3-10100F (new)

- RX 580 4GB Sapphire Nitro+ (used)

- Thermaltake Hamburg 530W (used)

- 2x8GB Goodram IRDM 2666MHz (used)

- Kioxia 480 GB (new)

- Natec Armadillo (new)

What have I tried to do:

- swapping ram in slots

- checking whether all power connectors are plugged in firmly

- booting only with one stick of ram, CPU and GPU

- clearing CMOS by connecting pins and removing battery

- checking motherboard pins

(It isn't my first build so I don't think I messed up something badly, but nobody is infallible.)

Unfortunately I don't have any spare ram sticks or GPU to test. From ASRock site, 5 beep means CPU error but I highly doubt it, because MOBO and CPU are new (also that information is form 2002, so maybe outdated). Other board manufactures indicate no graphics with 5 beeps. I talked with someone who had similar problem and in his case he didn't have HDMI fully plugged. I use DVI-D Single Link cable, but ports are DVI-D Dual Link (theoretically it should be compatible). Could it be a problem? 

Screenshot 2021-01-28 150817.jpg

I’ve had problems making dual-link dviD work at all with some updates of windows.  My personal move currently is to avoid dual-link dviD totally as it seems at least to me to have reliability issues from build to build.  (Though this might just be because I’e been missing something)  Is there any way to try this without dual-link dviD?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

GPU has other ports, but my monitor has only D-Sub and DVI-D Dual Link port and I don't have any other monitor or TV at home at the moment. In few weeks I can try to take it to my parents house and check there with HDMI cable.

I browsed web a bit more and some people say that in newer ASRock motherboards 5 beep means that GPU is not connected. Is there any way to test whether GPU is connected properly or is it damaged?

I might have found a cause of my problems - one of pcie pins looks bent (last one on a left side). Could someone confirm it? If it is indeed bent, should I try to fix on my own?

IMG_20210128_182127.jpg

10 hours ago, netlex said:

GPU has other ports, but my monitor has only D-Sub and DVI-D Dual Link port and I don't have any other monitor or TV at home at the moment. In few weeks I can try to take it to my parents house and check there with HDMI cable.

This is exactly my problem.  The monitor actually currently sits directly behind its replacements.  I’ve got a weird old monitor though.  It’s a crossover.  Korean grey market.  There’s possibly a fix on their site but the thing is a warren which makes Google translate problematic, and I can’t read Korean

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, netlex said:

I might have found a cause of my problems - one of pcie pins looks bent (last one on a left side). Could someone confirm it? If it is indeed bent, should I try to fix on my own?

IMG_20210128_182127.jpg

Ouchie.  It’s at the back though.  GPU might not even access it.  Heck the motherboard might not even access it.

According to this site, that pin is responsible for "Hot plug detect". I think that's why motherboard doesn't see GPU and gives that 5 beep code. Question is whether I damaged it or was it faulty from the start. IMHO I don't know how could I damaged it, because those pins are protected by this plastic slot and only way to bend the is to directly push them with something like a needle. (I know that is possible to rip off PCIE slot, but that is not a case.)

Screenshot 2021-01-28 193237.jpg

9 hours ago, netlex said:

According to this site, that pin is responsible for "Hot plug detect". I think that's why motherboard doesn't see GPU and gives that 5 beep code. Question is whether I damaged it or was it faulty from the start. IMHO I don't know how could I damaged it, because those pins are protected by this plastic slot and only way to bend the is to directly push them with something like a needle. (I know that is possible to rip off PCIE slot, but that is not a case.)

Screenshot 2021-01-28 193237.jpg

Are there any other hot plug detects?  The thing about pcie is if you stuck a single channel card in that slot it would still work, and the cans wouldn’t come near that pin.  Doesn’t mean it isn’t the problem.

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2021 at 7:30 PM, netlex said:

IMG_20210128_182127.jpg

Hi there,i have the same problem (5 beeps) and i.ve discoverd a foot of my gpu issmaller! May that be the problem? 

20230501_203138.jpg