Specs -

Processor: i5 - 6400

Motherboard - G11CB

RAM - 8GB, 2133MHz

Graphics Card - GTX 950

Storage - 1TB Toshiba Hard drive 

Other - DVD RW

OS - Windows 10 Home , Version - 20H2, OS Build - 19042.746

I own an Asus prebuilt PC its about 2 years old. Lately I have been getting these weird BIOS errors. 20210128_183802-1.thumb.jpg.42a90ec8fe48cf14f7e3997542e1fd5b.jpg

This is the message that it shows. When I press Enter nothing works. I pressed F1 to "Run SETUP" and it took me to the BIOS where I loaded the default settings. I then checked the Reliability Monitor and it was showing a critical error that "Windows was not properly shutdown", I never have never switched off my PC abruptly before. When I completely switch off my PC including my UPS and started again it showed the same message again. And I don't remember changing anything thing in the BIOS before this error (and even if I did, I loaded the default s BIOS settings). I looked up on the issue on the Microsoft forums and I turned off the Fast start up settings both in the BIOS and in Windows. And I also put my power plan to Balanced power plan with default settings. It didn't give me an any error(no errors in Reliability Monitor or this weird BIOS message) the last two times I booted up my PC. But now again it shows this message. After it booted into Windows I checked Reliability Monitor and it gave me no errors. 

I had recently formatted my PC using the "Reset this PC" in-built feature in Windows 10. And I didn't press anything when it asked me to if I wanted to clear my security keys(or whatever that is).

Is my BIOS corrupted or something or is my hard drive dying or what? Please help.

PS: I don't have any overclocks of any kind. When I start the PC it does this very weird boot, like firstly I switch on my UPS and then I switch on my PC. It will start just normally and then after like 3 secs it'll shutdown and restart on it's own ( and also start the RGB lighting which I have turned it off from the Asus software which came with the prebuilt ). And then show me the BIOS message and the none of the enter keys will do anything and I have to go into the BIOS and exit with discard changes and exit option. After that it shows a the "press F12 or DEL key to go to BIOS" screen twice. finally it'll boot into windows. The two time when it didn't show the weird BIOS message it showed the "press F12 or DEL key to go to BIOS" twice. One more thing I don't know if it is related or not, but it shows the DVD RW as a bootable drive in the BIOS which it didn't show earlier.

6 minutes ago, Misfitaqua said:

Most probably your battery is dead just replace it and should be fine. 

It is a desktop.

2 minutes ago, SuburbanBourbon said:

It is a desktop.

I believe they likely meant CMOS battery. There is a button cell battery on the board that keeps track of the BIOS settings when the computer does not have power. It basically forces the board to detect everything again when you start up because the board literally can't remember without power from this battery. In my experience, the most tell tale sign of this is that clock settings will not stick or time/date shows incorrectly in OS.

Just now, Flannelist said:

I believe they likely meant CMOS battery. There is a button cell battery on the board that keeps track of the BIOS settings when the computer does not have power. It basically forces the board to detect everything again when you start up because the board literally can't remember without power from this battery. In my experience, the most tell tale sign of this is that clock settings will not stick or time/date shows incorrectly in OS.

Oh okay. Can you also read the PS? And do you think that this is the only thing that I have to do? And is there a "special" CMOS battery or do I just buy a battery with the same voltage and current specs?

3 minutes ago, SuburbanBourbon said:

Oh okay. Can you also read the PS? And do you think that this is the only thing that I have to do? And is there a "special" CMOS battery or do I just buy a battery with the same voltage and current specs?

Seems kind of weird, especially if it's not happening every time, you usually power on the way you described? rather than waking from sleep? I might have to think about it a little as far as the other symptoms. It might just be that pressing enter can't recover BIOS settings because there aren't any to recover. But replacing that battery is probably not a bad start, particularly if you have had the machine a while.

It's not usually a special battery or anything. Typically they are CR2032s which is super common as far as button cells go. But if you open up the case it should be fairly obvious on the board, unless it's covered by a component. You can pull them out pretty easily and there should be a number on the + side of the battery telling you which it is.  It might even be worth it to unplug the computer, turn off the power supply (if it has its own power switch) and pull this battery for a few minutes, then put it back in and see if that changes anything.