OpenVPN cannot find requested config to autostart

Scruffy90

I am getting the following error when trying to get OpenVPN to autostart
"Cannot find requested config to autostart: "{filename}.ovpn"

I put the ovpn file in C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config-auto. I also have the OpenVPN Interactive Service set to Automatic

Other than a potential issue with credentials (do the credentials need to be included within the opvn  file?), I don't actually know what could be causing an issue.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

config-auto is the folder for the OpenVPN service. Are you using the GUI or Service version?

You can put credentials in a text file with the username on first line and password on the second, then add the filename after auth-user-pass, or you can include it in the ovpn file.

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

config-auto is the folder for the OpenVPN service. Are you using the GUI or Service version?

You can put credentials in a text file with the username on first line and password on the second, then add the filename after auth-user-pass, or you can include it in the ovpn file.

I'm using the OpenVPN GUI

If I add the file name, does the file name need to be in quotes or anything else?

Which is recommended? If I added it directly to the ovpn file, would I do "auth-user-pass" then put my credentials side by side or on new lines, or is it an entirely different command?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

I'm using the OpenVPN GUI

Which is recommended? If I added it directly to the ovpn file, would I do "auth-user-pass" then put my credentials side by side or on new lines, or is it an entirely different command?

Put the ovpn file in the config folder for the GUI, not config-auto.

I'd use a text file.

So you'd have this line in the ovpn file:

auth-user-pass credentials.txt

and in credentials.txt, in the same folder as the ovpn file (or you can put it somewhere else and include the full path)

username
password

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Put the ovpn file in the config folder for the GUI, not config-auto.

I'd use a text file.

So you'd have this line in the ovpn file:

auth-user-pass credentials.txt

and in credentials.txt, in the same folder as the ovpn file (or you can put it somewhere else and include the full path)

username
password

I removed the ovpn file from the config-auto folder and added it to the config folder. Then I gave this a try, and it is still giving me the "Cannot find requested config to autostart: "{filename}.ovpn"

Not sure as to what may be causing an issue