Intel Build Critique

So, since I don't know much about Intel stuff, especially which chipset is which, and which motherboard would be considered reliable, I'd like to do a theoretical build. Now, let's assume this is an actual build that I want to build, so, there will be the usual of what's it's going to use for, budget, etc. Let the advice, critiquing, and other knowledge flow in.

Budget/Location: The budget is under $600, but I could stretch it a dollar or two - nothing above $630 - $650, though. I live in the US and there are no local Microcenters near me.

Aim/Monitor: Gaming. Realistically, this will not be a max out all games for 5 years - who ever thought of that is very uninformed. With a 23" 1080p monitor, I'd like to run old and non-demanding on the highest settings at 60 FPS or more; that's reasonable. With newer games, un-optimized games, and demanding games, I'd like to get 60 FPS if possible - otherwise, I'd be okay with stable 30 FPS - on medium settings or if possible: medium-high or even high settings, but probably not ultra or maxed out. As of right now, I have The Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3 as my most demanding games - yes, I'm stockpiling, don't judge me. So, those could be references. If not, then I generally will play any game except for horror games, dancing games, rhythm games, maybe driving games, and puzzle games. So, stuff like Devil May Cry, Splinter Cell, Orcs Must Die!, Deus Ex, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Thief, etc.

Peripherals: Probably not, I might pick up an Xbox 360/One, Steam controller-pad-thing, or other gamepad if I feel the need for it and I might for games like Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, platformers, and maybe some stealth games. My current mouse is jamming a lot, but I could just pick up a regular mouse; I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything. Same thing with the keyboard, though I might pick up a mechanical keyboard if need be.

Upgrading: New build, so there's not much of a reason other than the most powerful piece of technology in my home is either my Asus router or PS3. Sad, really.

Disclaimers: I own a 640 GB WD 2.5" drive (WD Scorpio Blue 5400RPM) that I once used to replace the PS3's 120 GB drive, but I put it swapped it back out since without multiplatform games, the PS3 doesn't need to install much. Also, I have an optical drive which I'll take from this PC I'm using right now: TSSTcorp/Samsung TS-H653N CDDVD-R/RW. If you're wondering, yes, it's an old office PC my dad picked up. So, that'll save like $80 to $100. Also, I need an OS, but I included that in the build.

Here's the build. Enjoy nitpicking, analyzing, and tearing down the build. And yes, that is my PCPartPicker account so, feel free to browse it or whatever. The other builds are similar with the main differences being the CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($38.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card  ($215.38 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Micro Center) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $611.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 22:53 EDT-0400)

One thing I could take out would be the aftermarket CPU cooler since Intel CPUs generally don't run as hot as AMD's. As for cases, I don't really care, just as long as it has good airflow, room, and no LED fans included. I do not like bright, pulsing fans of doom. My main concern is the motherboard since I don't really know much about Intel, as I said before.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Don't need an after market cooler, cause you can't oc, would get an fx6300 instead. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

That looks good but I would suggest that as you won't be overclocking with that CPU the stock cooler is fine unless you want to have a very quite build.

Other than that I would probably have used the same parts, maybe a different mobo bu that's just because of my unwarranted distrust for MSI.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

What about storage? SSDS OR HDDS?

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Don't need an after market cooler, cause you can't oc, would get an fx6300 instead. 

I have a FX6300 build which is my planned build for this summer, but I decided to do an Intel build just to learn from it.

That looks good but I would suggest that as you won't be overclocking with that CPU the stock cooler is fine unless you want to have a very quite build.

Other than that I would probably have used the same parts, maybe a different mobo bu that's just because of my unwarranted distrust for MSI.

Yeah, that's the thing about Intel's CPUs, most of them can't be OC'd, but since I live in an area where it sometimes gets really hot in the summer, I'd like to have an aftermarket CPU cooler and perhaps more case fans to lessen the strain on my PC. Can I turn on my A/C? Yes, and no, I'm still living with my parents - just a couple more months before I'm in college - and probably will for some time since they're much older than everyone else's parents, so I don't have much of a say there. Also, my room is hottest room; it's a double-edged sword: warm in the winter; burning in the summer.

What about storage? SSDS OR HDDS?

I said I already have a HDD I will use for the build and an optical drive one too. It's in the wall of text somewhere.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

The cx430 does not have the 2 pci-e power cables needed for the 270x.

Go with a 270: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA71

I have a FX6300 build which is my planned build for this summer, but I decided to do an Intel build just to learn from it.

Yeah, that's the thing about Intel's CPUs, most of them can't be OC'd, but since I live in an area where it sometimes gets really hot in the summer, I'd like to have an aftermarket CPU cooler and perhaps more case fans to lessen the strain on my PC. Can I turn on my A/C? Yes, and no, I'm still living with my parents - just a couple more months before I'm in college - and probably will for some time since they're much older than everyone else's parents, so I don't have much of a say there. Also, my room is hottest room; it's a double-edged sword: warm in the winter, burning in the summer.

The intel stock cooler is plenty, especially for an i3 that would run cooler than an i5 or i7.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The cx430 does not have the 2 pci-e power cables needed for the 270x.

Go with a 270: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA71

The intel stock cooler is plenty, especially for an i3 that would run cooler than an i5 or i7.

Seriously? Shouldn't that be standard for most PSUs? Great, now I'll have to find a different PSU for the other build. Oh well, the 270X is sort of a "placeholder" in case the GTX 760 or even the 280(X) drops in price later on. Well, looks like I'll have to look into PSUs more.

Any mobo advice? Or is it just something where I should find what I need, check/reference reviews, etc.?

It will cost a bit more than your parts. not much changes but this would be a solid build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($57.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($236.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $619.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 23:19 EDT-0400)

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

It will cost a bit more than your parts. not much changes but this would be a solid build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dA9K/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($124.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($57.49 @ Newegg)

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($236.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Micro Center)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $619.43

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 23:19 EDT-0400)

No aftermarket CPU cooler does make a difference. Well, it's still a theoretical build that I may or may never build, but it's good to know more about stuff. 

No aftermarket CPU cooler does make a difference. Well, it's still a theoretical build that I may or may never build, but it's good to know more about stuff. 

You wont be able to take advantage of an aftermarket cooler unless you OC.

You wont be able to take advantage of an aftermarket cooler unless you OC.

Yeah, that or if for whatever reason, the CPU runs really hot like the FX 8350 or something. Or if I'm annoyed by noise levels, which I'm not unless it's a really high pitched sound. Also, with headphones, it's probably not going to be noticeable. Well, with the i3, there's not way to OC, but if I choose to build with an Athlon 760K and FX 6300, I'd get an aftermarket CPU cooler since I would like to dabble in some overclocking just to learn.

For oc'ing, you would be best to go for a water-cooled CPU cooler.

For oc'ing, you would be best to go for a water-cooled CPU cooler.

A lot of people say that, but being a klutz and worrisome, I'd like to stay away from water-cooling until I'm comfortable with, I guess, modern PCs since my current PC is no where near modern anymore. Thanks though.

The best advice i can give you is that for a gaming rig intel/nvidia are kings. this is from personal experence.

Seriously? Shouldn't that be standard for most PSUs?

No, there's no standard but the number of cables tend to scale with the size of the psu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The best advice i can give you is that for a gaming rig intel/nvidia are kings. this is from personal experence.

Yes, but sometimes, Intel CPUs are not friendly with people with tight budgets. Also, I kind of wished Intel had an "i4", a series that's stronger than the i3, but weaker than the i5. As for GPUs, it's a choice of whatever features you'd want or whatever price point since Nvidia and AMD might not offer the GPUs at a certain price point while the other will; GTX 760s are the only $250 GPU there are, ignoring sales and such. For now, with mining driving AMD GPU prices up and it sort of losing steam and therefore making AMD GPUs go back towards MSRP, Nvidia is pretty much the mid-range and high-end GPU choices for people in the US, maybe the low-end too, but AMD has the R7 260(X), R7 265, and APUs while Nvidia only has the 750 Ti - I'm referring to this generation now, I know there's the 650 Ti and Radeon HD 7770 and 7750 exists and can be found on market. 

Still, not to offend you, you're own experience is different from others. In other words, PCs are a bit more volatile than other stuff like, tissue paper. That's pretty much a universal experience, but PCs are so varied that's usually up to the user alone.

No, there's no standard but the number of cables tend to scale with the size of the psu.

I wish there was, though. Well, here's hoping I can find a PSU that works with whatever build I'll make.

I wish there was, though. Well, here's hoping I can find a PSU that works with whatever build I'll make.

There are higher rated 450w psu's that do have enough cables if you're interested.

There are higher rated 450w psu's that do have enough cables if you're interested.

I'm going to assume Corsair's 600W models have those cables... I switched out to lower the cost and I didn't know PSUs came with different cables like that. Thanks, now I won't have to feel stupid and frustrated later. Well, there's like 3 to 4 months before the build, so it's not going to be that much of a problem.

I'm going to assume Corsair's 600W models have those cables... I switched out to lower the cost and I didn't know PSUs came with different cables like that. Thanks, now I won't have to feel stupid and frustrated later. Well, there's like 3 to 4 months before the build, so it's not going to be that much of a problem.

You'd be fine with the cx500 if you're wondering. 

You'd be fine with the cx500 if you're wondering. 

I know, but the CX600 was cheaper than the CX500 at the time. So, I guess those are my go-to PSUs that I know people had good experiences with. If not, there's stuff from EVGA, Antec, and Silverstone if they ever drop in price that is.

Yeah, that's the thing about Intel's CPUs, most of them can't be OC'd, but since I live in an area where it sometimes gets really hot in the summer, I'd like to have an aftermarket CPU cooler and perhaps more case fans to lessen the strain on my PC. Can I turn on my A/C? Yes, and no, I'm still living with my parents - just a couple more months before I'm in college - and probably will for some time since they're much older than everyone else's parents, so I don't have much of a say there. Also, my room is hottest room; it's a double-edged sword: warm in the winter; burning in the summer.

Fair enough, the Hyper 212 is a beast for the money too, probably the best choice at that price point.

Fair enough, the Hyper 212 is a beast for the money too, probably the best choice at that price point.

There are alternatives, but I don't know what they are. I remember some were mentioned on Overclock.net. Well, I might search for them when I actually make a build. Oh well, it's not like the CM Hyper 212 Evo is breaking the bank.

There are alternatives, but I don't know what they are. I remember some were mentioned on Overclock.net. Well, I might search for them when I actually make a build. Oh well, it's not like the CM Hyper 212 Evo is breaking the bank.

I have a NZXT T40 which performs quite well but I did put a NF-F12 onto it which makes it  almost double the cost lol.