Bang for the Buck Used CPU,MoBo,RAM Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

If you can take advantage of HEDT cores and any other features it offers then yeah it's a pretty good price (in the current market especially).

First Priority: Got an offer from a friend and want to check with you guys if it's a good idea:

- Intel Core i7 5930k
- Asus X99 Deluxe (Sockel 2011-3, 8 DDR4 RAM-Slots
- 4x 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL15 (G.Skill Ripjaws Black)
- CPU Cooler Prolimatech Genesis with 2x 140mm beQuiet! Silent Wings.

- Price 300-350€

Second Priority: If i decide to buy it, figure out what PSU and Case to buy with it. I will keep my Storage, 1050ti (upgrade when gpu Prices have normalized)

1. Budget & Location

Germany, €  (My English is good, but not perfect)

No real budget, don’t want to spend more than i have to, In true German fashion.

Also seems like a good Idea with the PC hardware Market being completely Bonkers right now.

2. Aim

I dualboot Pop!_OS (Ubuntu) and Windows

Linux is my Work OS. Having to reboot before starting a Game really helps me focus and i use a custom keyboard layout called Neo2 (neo-layout.org) Which is a constant pain in Windows. Especially UWP Apps.

Windows is for Gaming. Games I’ve played lately: Cyberpunk 2077,Total War: Warhammer (2), Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, XCOM 2, Total War Shogun.

I want to run a Nextcloud from a Docker container to sync my files...

I will also run Windows in a VM sometimes to use MS Office when someone sends me a (.docx/.xlsx/.pptx) or other windows exclusive stuff.

In the Future i might want to experiment with GPU Passthrough after upgrading my Graphics card but that would be just for fun.

3. Monitors

32inch 2560x1440 165hz

24inch 1920x1080

4. Peripherals

No, I have everything.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My Asus Office PC is just not cutting it anymore.

i5-4460, 8gb ddr3 Ram.

I got it for free about 1.5 Years ago and made it into my first Gaming capable computer by buying a used 1050ti for 70€

Productivity-Reasons to Upgrade: I need more CPU cores and more RAM to build my nextcloud server, play around with virtualization, make the pc more responsive in general (I’m a crazy multi tasker)

Gaming-Reasons to Upgrade: The CPU is not always, but often the bottleneck. Especially when playing 1080p minimum Settings. I also have so close everything else, sometimes reboot to free up CPU and RAM usage.

I hope this is not way to Rambling/Detailed.

Thanks in advance.

PS/ Different Tangent. Is an ebay 6900x or Xeon e5-26.... A realistic upgrade path mabe one year down the line?

If you can take advantage of HEDT cores and any other features it offers then yeah it's a pretty good price (in the current market especially).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈