I think my adobe premiere cs6 dosen't like 720p video

Hi all,

So I've been having issues with premiere CS6. What's happening is when I add a 1280x720 (720p as far as I know) video to premiere it sets itself to 720p but the video ends up squashed and blurry with two black bars on the top and bottom. I guess it thinks the Vertical resolution is smaller than it is but I don't know. I've searched the internet for an answer but none seem to know so I'll ask you reliable folks here on linustech forums. If you guys want a video showing what I mean let me know.

Thanks, DM

CPU: Intel I5-4670K@ 4 Ghz, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780, PSU: EVGA 850W Gold, Case: Corsair Spec-01, HDD's: 120GB boot,1TB games,2TB storage, Optical Drive: Generic DVD (Writer?)(occasionally), Misc: Avermedia Live gamer HD, random wireless card my father had(Occasionally)

A video would help.

Ok will work on one link it in a reply but it probably will be raw footage

CPU: Intel I5-4670K@ 4 Ghz, Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780, PSU: EVGA 850W Gold, Case: Corsair Spec-01, HDD's: 120GB boot,1TB games,2TB storage, Optical Drive: Generic DVD (Writer?)(occasionally), Misc: Avermedia Live gamer HD, random wireless card my father had(Occasionally)

You're probably just doing it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehPUii88yjc

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

fine. I can work with it.

Also the chance of getting the vid today is none as uploading takes a while ( 4hours for this 3 min vid) and tanks my internet so will reply tommorrow with the link

Possibly the wrong aspect ratio, and yes, a video would help.

In the export media window, you'll see a summary of output and source information

Export-Settings-1.jpg

Your source will be the sequence settings (supposedly your 720p video; make sure your sequence has the right settings too). Your output will be whatever settings Premiere is going to output. This can really be anything, regardless of your source so you need to make sure these are what you want. You can just choose "Match Sequence Settings" at the top, or you can change these by choosing a different preset, or making a custom one. First make sure your format is H.264, then you can choose one of the HD 720p presets (depending on your framerate).

If these settings are right and your output file is still messed up, you'll need to post screenshots of this window for me to diagnose. There also are some bugs in CS6, such as if your sequence has no audio track, and you uncheck, Export Audio, it will output an m4v for no explicable reason, so you might have found something like that.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

fine. I can work with it.

In the export media window, you'll see a summary of output and source information

Export-Settings-1.jpg

Your source will be the sequence settings (supposedly your 720p video; make sure your sequence has the right settings too). Your output will be whatever settings Premiere is going to output. This can really be anything, regardless of your source so you need to make sure these are what you want. You can just choose "Match Sequence Settings" at the top, or you can change these by choosing a different preset, or making a custom one. First make sure your format is H.264, then you can choose one of the HD 720p presets (depending on your framerate).

If these settings are right and your output file is still messed up, you'll need to post screenshots of this window for me to diagnose. There also are some bugs in CS6, such as if your sequence has no audio track, and you uncheck, Export Audio, it will output an m4v for no explicable reason, so you might have found something like that.

Possibly the wrong aspect ratio, and yes, a video would help.

Here is the video I promised fi there is more detail needed I'll post screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhvSWlBAato&feature=youtu.be

Hmm..... Not sure. The only problem I've had that's close to your scenario is when it accidentally went into anamorphic widesceen, but you're still on square pixels so that can't be the issue.

Try a different recording software, if it's still a problem then you can narrow down what is actually causing the issue.

Your video file must not actually be a normal 720p video then. Can you take a screenshot of the file's properties in Premiere? Also, there should be a setting to prompt you to change the sequence settings to match the source files or not. This can be a good way to see if the file's settings really match your sequence. If all the settings match, then the only other explanation is that the video you recorded has the black bars, but I'm guessing you would have noticed that before? 

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

Your video file must not actually be a normal 720p video then. Can you take a screenshot of the file's properties in Premiere? Also, there should be a setting to prompt you to change the sequence settings to match the source files or not. This can be a good way to see if the file's settings really match your sequence. If all the settings match, then the only other explanation is that the video you recorded has the black bars, but I'm guessing you would have noticed that before?

I can't seem to get the screenshot on the page but I'll copy in what it says:

File Path: D:\playthroughs\Call of Duty Ghosts\RAW footage\1\20140204160344.mp4

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 197.2 MB

Image Size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:06:30:18

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Hmm..... Not sure. The only problem I've had that's close to your scenario is when it accidentally went into anamorphic widesceen, but you're still on square pixels so that can't be the issue.

Try a different recording software, if it's still a problem then you can narrow down what is actually causing the issue.

I've tried to use fraps as well it's the same result

If you look at your project panel and right click the composition then click composition settings do they still match up?

I can't seem to get the screenshot on the page but I'll copy in what it says:

File Path: D:\playthroughs\Call of Duty Ghosts\RAW footage\1\20140204160344.mp4

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 197.2 MB

Image Size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:06:30:18

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Strange. Well, just to do a sanity check, the original video does not have those black bars? I'm sure you would have known that, but that's the only explanation I see right now. 

And unfortunately, you're video is very blurry since it's 360p so I can't see what you mean by the footage looking "blurred". Do you mean it looks like it's been scaled down vertically, causing the black bars? I suppose you could check the effects panel and the motion effect and make sure somehow Premiere isn't scaling it. Can't imagine that kind of bug happening though.

It should work either way if you got the comp settings correct. Dragging directly into the timeline isn't really a great idea, put it in the project panel, once it's there you can drag it down to new item and it should apply the correct settings or you can right click it and select scale to frame size if it is actually squashed.

Strange. Well, just to do a sanity check, the original video does not have those black bars? I'm sure you would have known that, but that's the only explanation I see right now. 

And unfortunately, you're video is very blurry since it's 360p so I can't see what you mean by the footage looking "blurred". Do you mean it looks like it's been scaled down vertically, causing the black bars? I suppose you could check the effects panel and the motion effect and make sure somehow Premiere isn't scaling it. Can't imagine that kind of bug happening though.

Okay so did a sanity check and it has those bars originally but as I found out only with my capture card while fraps is fine. I think it may be because I'm not running the stock res of my monitor (1600x900) but the closest to that is 1680x1050/1280x720 so I guess I can't use my capture card to record. well that sucks because the cature card gives me the audio and video separate, in smaller files and next to no preformance hit, damn

Okay so did a sanity check and it has those bars originally but as I found out only with my capture card while fraps is fine. I think it may be because I'm not running the stock res of my monitor (1600x900) but the closest to that is 1680x1050/1280x720 so I guess I can't use my capture card to record. well that sucks because the cature card gives me the audio and video separate, in smaller files and next to no preformance hit, damn

Well, I'm glad we found the problem. That's too bad though.