Heat and Space Concerns for my First PC Build.

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
1 minute ago, Moderator41 said:

How do I know if it is shorting or going to? I don't believe they are touching but like I said there isn't even enough room to fit a piece of paper between them. It was very very hard to put this pc together and get everything plugged in. my main concern is the clips for the Noctua fan I don't know if they are touching or not. I can only assume they are but I'm unsure if I could even get it off to put electrical tape on it. Thanks for the help. 

Well, if something was shorting, your GPU would have let out the magic smoke.

You might want to put electrical tape over the open holes in the backplate though.

Hey Everyone so I have an unfortunate question to ask you. Me and my friend completed my first PC build yesterday. Well unfortunately being the idiot I am I got a huge CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D15 sso2 type D) not realizing quite how big it is. I'm using an MSI Pro B460M Pro Micro ATX board. I'm sure you can see where this is going. Well my GPU is right up on my CPU cooler (I mean very close like not sliding a piece of paper in there close). Now none of my parts are overclocked in anyway, I ran The Witcher 3 on ultra in 1080p (1080 is as high as I can currently go) with full Lighting settings for over 2 hours and it never got hotter than 75 degrees Celsius, and finally I'm waiting on a delivery tomorrow to connect the rest of my fans to my PSU. In total I will have 5 case fans running when the last 3 are connected to my PSU. Airflow goes from the two 140mms in front to one 120mm in the back and 2 120mm fans in the top when all are on. My question is this will this damage my components or cause problems and should I shut this computer down until I can afford a full size ATX motherboard like the MSI Z490 I wanted to get but was out of my price range.

Thank you for reading my long description and I hope to hear back.

Full Parts List Below

-Fractal Design Focus G Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, FD-CA-FOCUS-BK-W

-EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-1067-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate

-MSI PRO B460M PRO LGA 1200 Intel B460 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

-COOLER MASTER Silent Fan R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Silent Case Fan

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

-Intel Core i5-10600K Comet Lake 6-Core 4.1 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070110600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

-EVGA 500 BA 100-BA-0500-K1 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power

-Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans

-Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1

Again Thanks to everyone and anyone for reading this and trying to help.

Having your cooler close to your GPU won't affect either component adversely in any way. Your temps might be a degree higher, but it's not going to make any real-world difference.

As long as the metal isn't shorting things, you should be good.

My case is packed with hardware (I added a second GPU), and the only thing that this changes is where I stuff my cables and my temps (~5C hotter than before).

elephants

22 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

As long as the metal isn't shorting things, you should be good.

My case is packed with hardware (I added a second GPU), and the only thing that this changes is where I stuff my cables and my temps (~5C hotter than before).

How do I know if it is shorting or going to? I don't believe they are touching but like I said there isn't even enough room to fit a piece of paper between them. It was very very hard to put this pc together and get everything plugged in. my main concern is the clips for the Noctua fan I don't know if they are touching or not. I can only assume they are but I'm unsure if I could even get it off to put electrical tape on it. Thanks for the help. 

1 minute ago, Moderator41 said:

You might want to put electrical tape over the open holes in the backplate though.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Ok I will do that thank you for the help and being patient.