Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a new GPU.

DarrenP

I need a GPU. I'll be gaming on a 1920x1080 with a secondary 1920x1080 that will be displaying things such as itunes, and web browsers. Nothing task intensive. I have 600 dollars. I'm thinking either a 280X, GTX 770, or R9 290. I'm leaning towards the 770. I'm thinking i'll grab a 770, and add a 3rd monitor for multi-tasking. So game on the middle monitor, and just two secondary displays. 

Thoughts?

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

780 or 290 and without a 3rd monitor.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I'd recommend a 780. You really don't want to purchase another monitor at this point especially if you do decide you want to go with the 780. Wait for G-Sync enabled monitors to come out (if that interests you) especially since you are going to be gaming with your new GPU. 

//ccap

I need a GPU. I'll be gaming on a 1920x1080 with a secondary 1920x1080 that will be displaying things such as itunes, and web browsers. Nothing task intensive. I have 600 dollars. I'm thinking either a 280X, GTX 770, or R9 290. I'm leaning towards the 770. I'm thinking i'll grab a 770, and add a 3rd monitor for multi-tasking. So game on the middle monitor, and just two secondary displays. 

Thoughts?

If you do grab a third monitor, something tells me you'll experiment with triple-monitor gaming :P

Spoiler
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini Dark TG
  • BFG EX-1200 Power Supply (Engineering Sample)
  • ASrock B450M Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600 w/ Noctua NH-D9L + 2nd fan
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • Gigabyte RX 580 8gb
  • STORAGE: Samsung 97 Evo • Samsung 860 Evo • Hitachi UltraStar 3tb • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb
  • W10P
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Corsair Strafe RGB
  • Razer Deathadder Chroma
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Superlux 668B + ModMic 4

If you do grab a third monitor, something tells me you'll experiment with triple-monitor gaming :P

No, i hate gaming on more than one monitor. I've tried it before. Also i don't want to throw all 600 down on a single GPU, and G-Sync doesn't interest me. I'm not a heavy gamer. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

No, i hate gaming on more than one monitor. I've tried it before. Also i don't want to throw all 600 down on a single GPU, and G-Sync doesn't interest me. I'm not a heavy gamer. 

I personally don't recommend a 780. If you're just gaming on a 1080p monitor, a 290 or a 770 will do you just fine. As you said, you don't wanna throw all your money into one GPU. Now, another thing is 1440p. If you ever have plans to upgrading to a 1440p or 1600p monitor I'd recommend getting a more high-end card, but not for a single 1080p monitor.

Get the 780 ti (19 dollars more) and wait for the g-sync monitors to come out

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.