hackintosh: weird wallpaper issue

asheenlevrai

Hello 🙂

I have this hackintosh (ryzentosh) running the current version of Catalina that has this weird issue.

It has a 4K display and all in all it runs fine. Now every now and then, upon reboot or cold boot, the desktop is weird. The resolution is still 4K but the wallpaper only occupies the lower left quarter of the screen (while icons are displayed on the whole desktop) and the dock is not present apparently. The 3 other quarters of the desktop have a black background (although it should be white according to wallpaper settings). I can tell I will get this bug when the login screen is displayed as what looks like 1080p rather than the expected 4K resolution.

From there, there is not much I can do. I mean I can use the computer alright (I need to go into applications and launch programs from there since the dock is not displayed) and also reach System Preferences. But I couldn't find a way to resolve this weird display issue (switching resolutions, changing desktop background, ...). Generally shutting down and then turning ON the PC again solves the problem (sometimes 2 cycles are necessary) but rebooting never does.

I know this is weird and I don't expect many of you would know where this comes from but any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-a-

Are you using clover or opencore?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.